Tourism minister wants to extend pub opening hours

webfact

47 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

But do you not realise the people you have or are in the process of getting rid of (Farangs) are the people who did spend money in the bars and restaurants......!! 

Yes, it is no surprise that so many foreigners (not all of us) regard so many of them as xenophobic idiots. 

Arrogantly run all the people away, then, while wearing smug, fake smiles, whore the country out again, begging for them to come back and spend money. 

I really wish they would just have REAL pride and state their disgust of farang and ban all of us. I could respect that. 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahaha. They are driving tourist/expats out of the country by regulations like TM30, 400.000 baht account, Health insurance and a very strong baht, etc. And now they want more tourist by extending pub hours? What do they really want in Thailand? I guess it is only their money, but not all inconviences that come along with that.

A few weeks ago I had a wondaerful English breakfast complimented by an Irish coffee at 7.30 am.....a few days later I enjoyed a real ale at 3pm overlooking the South Coast of England......20 years ago that would not have been possible but it is now.....tragedy, Thailand is moving backwards with their licensing laws.....no wonder tourists are at an all time low.....except Chinese

Every other country has relaxed the drinking hours and like everything else Thailand does the opposite! I am sure when I first came here there was no time on opening hours. it was the norm for staggering home at 4 am, one place was open all night!

Now adays our little city is dead after 8pm. many snack bars and bamboo bars gone! and now the government wants them back?

Unfortunately Thai’s can not think long and hard about their futures.

No resolute decision making here, just skating along on thin ice hoping for best.

Lets open up some bars a bit later, what the @&+” just let me pop in to Tesco between 2 and 5 so I can buy a three pack.

If they extend the opening times they should control the noise. But my experience shows that very little is done in this direction. But if they really want to make more money with the nightlife they should bring back the three prostitutes they removed in Pattaya recently ????

But more serious - if their only idea is to attract party tourists to make more money they should look at the Full Moon parties and tourist destinations like Mallorca. But I will be leaving then. Now I get enough already of all this crazy bar business here at every corner.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He added however that the proposal did not apply to all areas but would cover such popular tourist spots as the Silom nightlife zone in Bangkok, Patong in Phuket, Ao Nang in Krabi and Koh Samui in Surat Thani.

Some areas are more equal than other areas.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Phiphat said he would discuss his ideas to stimulate nightlife tourism with Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha and other ministers. 

Talking to wet blankets about fun.  Money is involved so the old fuddie duddie may do the wise thing and step aside for once.

Enough of these half way measures! Keep bars open 24/7. No need to book a room or any of that domestic stuff. Have on site reporting of TM30 forms at bars, just to keep it legal. Install some rubber wall showers, maybe washing machine and you're set for life, however long or short that may be..

"He said 19.76 million foreign tourists visited Thailand during the first half (January to June) this year, which was an increase of 1.48 per cent over the previous year. They generated revenue of Bt1.02 trillion for the country."  

How much did they generate last year? Tourist numbers still going up BUT...receipt numbers going up very slowly or maybe even falling.

What about the number of non-tourist temporary residents and receipts from them?

My guess is that overall receipts from tourists + expats is down year on year. By a lot.

6 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

"if closing is extended to 4 am, tourists will spend 25 per cent more on eating and drinking"

And probably increase drunk driving accidents/deaths by a similar amount, as there is near zero enforcement of drunk driving laws in the wee hours. 

People come on holiday with a budget the bars could stay open 24 hours they would still spend their  budget and only that I remember as being a ex publican they tried it in the UK never worked just killed years of tradition .also where all the quality tourist at 4 am ?

3 hours ago, Is this real said:

A good idea that would encourage tourism.  Unfortunately, Thailand is only doing things to diminish it, so, this has little chance of succeeding.

Been doing it for years matey 

They need to study economics really and stop trying to invent everything themself as some kind of solo army

24 hour drinking is proven to be the best drinking law as it means you can drink whenever and there is no rush - people have many different forms of occupation and this is proven to work the best

The tourism is way down because they ruined thailand with all this nonsense. They should of gone to a foreign country and been a alien for once and understand how they ruined a good thing

People come here for the nature and weather, the food and easy drinking was a nice benefit but they ruined it with a stupid economic policy and ridiculous laws now everyone goes to vietnam and they are booming what a surprise

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Drunks impact everybody when they get behind the wheel. Any moron from another country who comes over here thinking they can break the law because it's Thailand should be deported for life for DUI and if they hurt or kill someone should face attempted murder/murder charges. There has been enough information and tragic strories world wide to justify this and especially here. I saw the other day that they give a medical prior to issuance of OA visa with drug addiction flagged as a possible reason for refusal. I'd like to see liver enzymes function tests included in this medical which can show alcohol abuse. There is no difference between alcohilism and drug addiction except that alcoholism causes way more damage.

How many tourists are driving?

Why not make more and open all bars 23 hours per day, closing at 05:00 AM for one hour the time to clean the floor like it is done in Montreal.  What better way to make a boost in our economy than by extending opening hours?  While we are at it, let's discard Thaksin era of selling alcohol with limited hours in all retail outlets. 

This way Thailand will really be a tourist destination with money coming from outside our beautiful country.

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Classic. Just another example of the perpetual farang whiners "damned if they do and damned if they don't" response.

"They're killing tourism with their alcohol bans!!!"

Then...

"They're going to kill more people with less alcohol restrictions!!!"

Make your bloody minds up willya?!

Whats the point of commenting if you cant have a good moan?

2 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Extending opening hours only means people go out later as has been proved in the U.K.

English had huge booming retail economy since the 24 hour drinking and although there is a knife crime problem the actual grief at the kick out time has ended and is a thing of the past so really it was win win (used to live in london)

Just now, yimlitnoy said:

Why not make more like to open all bars 23 hours per day, closing at 05:00 AM for one hour the time to clean the floor like it mis done in Montreal.  What better way to make a boost in our economy than by extending opening hours?  While we are at it, let's discard Thaksin era of selling alcohol with limited hours in all retail outlets.  This way Thailand will really be a tourist destination with money coming from outside our beautiful country.

YES! Amen! You have nailed it on the head sir

These clowns are so far out of the circle they have NO idea what is going on.

Pass a directive first that ALL Licenced premises are allowed to sell alcohol until 2 am.

I refer to Chiang Mai where the local mafia make them close at midnight,

And in Hua Hin where often they will not even let them open on many days

2 minutes ago, Patanawet said:

How many tourists are driving?

Exactly and how easy is it to access a taxi - there is a whole eco system here of bars food and taxis to move us back to hotels it worked beautifully in the past now it is a broken system and its heart breaking to see 

Recession is coming very very soon within this year

Archived