Tourism minister wants to extend pub opening hours

webfact

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Who really needs to drink between  2 am and 4 am ? Midnight and one for the road is ok if the road is walked but even in the '60s when I was a teen I needed home after midnight ,is there anyone on TV who would like a beer at 4am ?

not sure if my 4am beer is the first or the last of the day.

2 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Who really needs to drink between  2 am and 4 am ? Midnight and one for the road is ok if the road is walked but even in the '60s when I was a teen I needed home after midnight ,is there anyone on TV who would like a beer at 4am ?

Tourists come for partying.

bars should be allowed to open and close when they want, if people don’t like the noise, the country side is nice and quiet after 8pm

22 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

pushing the consumption of the worst drug in the world is not what Thailand needs, they need less not more alcohol addled pinheads running around the streets..

Let people choose how they want to live, and you choose your way to live, that nanny state thinking should be left back in the nannystate.

2 minutes ago, Totoandlilly said:

Let people choose how they want to live, and you choose your way to live, that nanny state thinking should be left back in the nannystate.

Drunks impact everybody when they get behind the wheel. Any moron from another country who comes over here thinking they can break the law because it's Thailand should be deported for life for DUI and if they hurt or kill someone should face attempted murder/murder charges. There has been enough information and tragic strories world wide to justify this and especially here. I saw the other day that they give a medical prior to issuance of OA visa with drug addiction flagged as a possible reason for refusal. I'd like to see liver enzymes function tests included in this medical which can show alcohol abuse. There is no difference between alcohilism and drug addiction except that alcoholism causes way more damage.

4 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The RTP Bar and Club Owners Association must be feeling the pinch and applying a bit of pressure.

May one wonder if longer opening times will attract the preferred Chinese and Indian rich?

The western people won't come back for longer opening times.

Maybe try to lure the Iranian, Turkish and Arab tourists into the bars?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The closing time for pubs and bars is 2am.

Phiphat said he believed that if closing is extended to 4 am, tourists will spend 25 per cent more on eating and drinking.

Talk about a chicken with it's head cut off this government cannot make it's mind up on anything, it was recently in the news that all bars (Farang only of course) must adhere to the closing hours or else, now anything goes no wonder the Thai people are confused of the various laws....!!! This new recommendation of course takes safety into account - NOT...!!

37 minutes ago, madmen said:

Idiotic law banning non buhdists from drinking on certain days needs to be dumped . 

Had a mining mate up from Ossie land recently. He was with me in the supermarket; he picked up a slab of beer and off to the check out. His only problem is his hearing too many days around blasting in the mine. He suppose to wear a hearing aid, this day he didnt. I explained to him the 1300 to 1700 shut down times , that lost him. So Thai girl at checkout in broken English tells him" no can hab its monk day". He replies " I know its F$$$$$ing Monday how much for the beer. This goes on 4 times before I stop laughing and explain nothing to do with Monday its a religious monk day you cant buy. So you get the $$Sake reply and I guess tomorrow is Jewsday?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Phiphat said he believed that if closing is extended to 4 am, tourists will spend 25 per cent more on eating and drinking.

Yea but what about the Indians .. Trying to get half a dozen to buy more than one Coke during waking hrs is hard enough anyway .. 

and the Russians are usually well caned by that time so the chances of getting a few more out of those is remote .. 

13 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Drunks impact everybody when they get behind the wheel. Any moron from another country who comes over here thinking they can break the law because it's Thailand should be deported for life for DUI and if they hurt or kill someone should face attempted murder/murder charges.

The topic is about opening hours, not drink driving.

In my 14 years here, I have always got home after drinking, by taxi or shanks' pony.

11 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

good for you for many don't, and if they extend the hours they'll end up with more behind the wheel..

Then put them in jail, but that would need the police to actually do their work.

And that's the main issue thailand has.

1 minute ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Then put them in jail, but that would need the police to actually do their work.

And that's the main issue thailand has.

It took many years to attempt clean up the police forces around the world. Some of the solutions employed by other nations were paying a livable wage, raising educational standards and increasing penalties. That improved police forces in many of countries but if you research it, many western countries are still having a lot of problems even with the advantages they have.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_corruption

4 hours ago, SammyT said:

Perhaps they could bring Chiang Mai into the fold and stop enforcing midnight closing. Extend it out til 2am to be in line with the rest of Thailand. 

Very true that SammyT....????

Hey, Hon - Let's do vaca in Thailand this year because there we can drink ourselves until we're totally sh*tfaced in a club until 4 AM. Then we can catch a taxi back to the hotel and have some real fun talking to the driver on the way!

Or we could walk back totally wasted! What do you think?:stoner:

4 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

"if closing is extended to 4 am, tourists will spend 25 per cent more on eating and drinking"

And probably increase drunk driving accidents/deaths by a similar amount, as there is near zero enforcement of drunk driving laws in the wee hours. 

and spend all day in bed therefore not buying anything (aspirins maybe)

Archived