NYT's article:Thailand’s Roads Are Deadly.

tideout

9 hours ago, tideout said:

NYT's article that I thought people would like to read. In the article there are plenty of links to WHO data for those who're interested.

Oh !!  for goose sake from 1,000,000 posts or more another health and safety person coming into Thailand, same old, same old just another western view of Thailand, when Thailand wants to do the western way of training drivers ok but for now it doesn't happen.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Driving a car is not 'Western' its 'Modern...  so training drivers is not the 'Western Way'....  its the 'Modern way'...  it works in Japan and Korea, these are not 'Western Countries'... they are as culturally diverse from Westernisation as a country could get, what these countries [Japan and Korea] do have in common with their Western Counterparts is their Modern attitudes towards safety and the recognition of the need for its society to evolve, in doing so they implement laws and regulations to train and protect their society.

Thus, your comments [the same old just another western view of Thailand] are highly flawed... 'a good view point' is one of common sense and has little to do with being Western, Eastern or anything else, it just has to intelligently recognize the need for improvement.

Eloquently put and agree on a few points but to make my point by saying western view is not flawed about something that started off in the west its a fact.

Training in Asian is not modern it's ancient in all its forms but drive training in Thailand is not, OP and all westerners should know that it is carried out here at a very inadequate way and below par poor standard.

Hence the onslaught of many OP's starting Thailand deadly road threads.

You say other countries for road safety implement laws and regulations to train and protect their society so does Thailand.

I refer and stand by my previous reply  ????

" Thailand wants to do the western way of training drivers ok but for now it doesn't happen."

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Driving a car is not 'Western' its 'Modern...  so training drivers is not the 'Western Way'....  its the 'Modern way'...  it works in Japan and Korea, these are not 'Western Countries'... they are as culturally diverse from Westernisation as a country could get, what these countries [Japan and Korea] do have in common with their Western Counterparts is their Modern attitudes towards safety and the recognition of the need for its society to evolve, in doing so they implement laws and regulations to train and protect their society.

Thus, your comments [the same old just another western view of Thailand] are highly flawed... 'a good view point' is one of common sense and has little to do with being Western, Eastern or anything else, it just has to intelligently recognize the need for improvement.

Reforms come at a cost. and freedom has a price.Are we willing to pay?

I constantly read that life in Thailand is getting too expensive  and Thailand is becoming a "Nanny State just like the west" and there is always someone who is threatening to leave., Yet when these freedom costs too much,  the same people complain and want less freedom and more regulation.

Does Japan and Korea have a more regulated society? Sure it does, How many of you will be retiring to Japan next Year??  

Watch what you wish for, you just might get it!!

• Thanks 1