April 1 Is New 6 Month Period?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I need to come and go (multi entry), not just an extension.

On second thought, in your situation you are perhaps better served with a multiple-entry non-O visa that lets you travel to Thailand an unlimited number of times during one year.

With annual extensions of stay based on marriage to a Thai wife, you would have to be in Thailand every year during the same time for your application for a new annual extension and this extension is not approved immediately. You get a stamp saying that your application is under consideration and that you must come back again at a later time, in provincial Immigration offices usually after 30 days, in Bangkok usually after 40 days. An additional problem is that you have no guarantee that you will get approval after this “under consideration” period. Particularly outside Bangkok, the approval may not yet be ready and you may get a second “under consideration” stamp for 30 days. This could be very difficult to match with your work schedule.

Unfortunately, the multiple-entry non-O visa for visiting your wife is difficult to get in the region. Based on latest reports, Singapore still issues it if you can show the equivalent of 400,000 Baht in the Bank. Kuala Lumpur also issues it, without evidence of funds, but apparently not to everybody, but you should certainly qualify for it.

--

Maestro

ok here we go. since the new rules started i have had the following time in Los.

oct 21st till nov 13 06

nov 30 till dec 27 06

dec 27 till jan 19 07

feb 22nd till march 12 07

a total of 81 days.

i now intend to arrive back on the 4 th may, for 24 days, will i be granted a exemption visa for that time or will i have to get a visa prior to going, not too easy for me as i work in iraq.

any info with be helpful

You will be fine , your new 180day period will start for entries from 20th April 07 onwards.

You can enter with the 30day visa waiver(visa exempt stamp).

How to you get the new 180day period to start from 20th April 07?

I thought it is 180 days as a running period, i.e. the period to be counted is 180 days before preent arrival. So if kev0184 arrives on 4 th may immigration has to check the preceeding 180 days back to Nov. 06 and count the days of stray inside the country. ???

wow, now this really is the most confusing situation, my friend it pattaya went to jontiem and got told, after listing all my dates" he wont be allowed in, get a visa" i sent my dates to BKK immigration and was told i would get a stamp for 13days, now as i only need 4 days in country to pick up my GF and head to the uk, where i can get a multiple entry O type, this sounded fine, until the guy then said" but it could depend on the immingration officer you get at the airport".

hhhmmm TiT.

The 180 day period is a rolling period. The 180 days period changes daily, just count 180 days back. They SHOULD count your days in Thailand on visa exempt entries in the period of the past 180 days. They will see how many days you have spent in during the last 180 days on visa exempt entries and however many days less than 90 you have spent in on visa exempt entries, thats how many days of visa exempt days you are allowed to remain in (30 days at a time) for. If you have spent 90 days allready in the last 180 days, no more days for you. If you have used all your days, wait a 10 days before you try to enter again and you will recieve 10 days. Or, stay in week and out one week. The 180 Day period is a rolling period, you you will not get a "NEW" block of 90 days, you get your days back one day at a time. Yes "ONE DAY AT A TIME"

Hope that helped.

"...but it could depend on the immingration officer you get at the airport"

This is unfortunately the situation with which visa-exempt tourists have to live.

What Aussiestyle says is the logical interpretation of the official rule but – and this is the famous “but” that Kev got from Bangkok Immigration office – not all Immigration officials apply the rule this way, as can be seen from several reports in this forum.

It is indeed a sad an confusing state of affairs.

--

Maestro

This is unfortunately the situation with which visa-exempt tourists have to live.

What Aussiestyle says is the logical interpretation of the official rule but – and this is the famous “but” that Kev got from Bangkok Immigration office – not all Immigration officials apply the rule this way, as can be seen from several reports in this forum.

--

Maestro

I picked this leaflet up at the airport immigration entry desk 4 days ago maybe this will shed some light on the situation. It's the first time that i have seen this document.

post-35173-1175093913_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Rick

--

Maestro

Very true.

It will all be up to the officer. As the computer system immigration have is not capable of adding up the dates, if the officer gives you to many extra days or not as many days as your entitled to, it won't matter to them. So make sure you smile and choose the immigration line you walk through more carefully and hopefully you will get an officer that is friendly or cant count up to 90 :o