Florida man guilty of manslaughter in test of 'stand your ground' law - reports

rooster59

1 minute ago, donnacha said:

I actually just watched the video for the first time. Even without audio, it was clear that he was ranting aggressively towards that woman, and I am not even clear on what the problem was, the parking lot was pretty much empty.

I agree, in no way was that justifiable.

The woman parked in a disabled parking space which he took exception to.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

No parking spot is worth any confrontation with any one irrespective of Race .

I disagree. Sure, you should not court confrontation but, in normal life, there are always situations in which you should remonstrate with people who are behaving unreasonably. That is the social role of responsible men.

For instance, if teenagers are misbehaving in a cinema and causing distress to other patrons, I think it is valid to approach them and, non-aggressively, ask them to be more considerate. That does actually work in most situations. I mean, I actually do that, and I find that humor is very effective.

As an example, in Dublin, you could approach a gang of schoolboys and ask them to be reasonable, regardless of ethnic background, but you would avoid any interaction with junkies (and, in Dublin, they all seem to be white).

If I was in Florida, yeah, I probably would not say anything to black teenagers, that would be too fraught, too complicated. I would just go get a refund and go home.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Depends, doesn't it, whatever, you'll never convince me it's  reason why the public should carry guns.

I agree,if the shooter would not have had a gun just maybe he would not have tried to play police.Take a picture and report it would have been enough.

Could be a case of.'i am white i have a gun and i do not reall like black people and now i have a reason,not saying this is the case.

42 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

I can't beleive what I am reading here and it has not been deleted, where are the <deleted> mods on this site!

any other races we should be worried about ?

Just look at the post I responded to.

19 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Stop digging, you start off with a racist comment and then try to defend it by filling in more details of your racist attitudes.

No, you are completely off base there.

I am being realistic about the cultural limitations around how you can interact with different groups. It is all about culture and local context, skin color is incidental.

Simple example: if you are on a bus and a group of drunk Thai farm workers are causing disruption, you as a farang will probably avoid saying anything, because they probably would not understand and it would most likely result in bad feeling.

If, on the other hand, it is a group of drunk middle class university students, you probably could ask them to tone it down a bit, because they probably would understand some English and because they probably would have a little more social awareness.

Both groups are the same race, but your approach would be instinctively different.

It is actually quite frightening how casually the epitaph of racist is thrown around these days. Weak intellects so easily slide towards authoritarianism.

2 minutes ago, donnacha said:

No, you are completely off base there.

I am being realistic about the cultural limitations around how you can interact with different groups. It is all about culture and local context, skin color is incidental.

Simple example: if you are on a bus and a group of drunk Thai farm workers are causing disruption, you as a farang will probably avoid saying anything, because they probably would not understand and it would most likely result in bad feeling.

If, on the other hand, it is a group of drunk middle class university students, you probably could ask them to tone it down a bit, because they probably would understand some English and because they probably would have a little more social awareness.

Both groups are the same race, but your approach would be instinctively different.

It is actually quite frightening how casually the epitaph of racist is thrown around these days.

Yes, people tend to get accused of being racists if they make racist posts.

8 minutes ago, donnacha said:

N

Ha ha, the farm workers would offer you are drink, drunk middle class university kids pull a gun as they are spoilt and have rich daddies,

How out of touch you are with life........

3 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I don't know Stevenl personally but from the very first post I made on this web site, he was helpful to me by offering quality information that assisted me directly.

I strongly suspect he taught you how to spell the word "racist".

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

How do you know that he would have continued his attack?

I have already stated, after watching the video, that there was clearly no justification for this particular shooting. It was murder.

If you are talking about attacks more generally, sure, there are situations in which, once you are on the ground, you are in danger. A fairly reliable sign that an attack is continuing is that the aggressor continues to move towards you, as opposed to away from you.

There have been several death-by-cop situations in which an unarmed man has rushed a cop and been shot, mainly because the cop has a responsibility to avoid, at all costs, the risk of getting knocked unconscious and having his weapon used against him or others.

But, yeah, this particular guy was looking to create a situation, probably looking for an excuse to shoot someone, and it may well not be coincidental that it was a black guy he ended up shooting.

1 hour ago, Ron jeremy said:

I can't beleive what I am reading here and it has not been deleted, where are the <deleted> mods on this site!

any other races we should be worried about ?

I can't believe you missed he was taking the <deleted> out of a previous post.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

And if there was no handgun / gun present because it was against the law to carry handguns in daily life scenarios then there wouldn't be a dead person. Not rocket science.

And if there were no cars, nobody would die in a traffic accident, or if there were no knives, nobody would die from being stabbed by one. Stupid argument. There needs to be mandatory firearms education for any firearm purchase, period. There needs to be better screening to weed out the obvious nutters. Not rocket science.

5 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

And if there were no cars, nobody would die in a traffic accident, or if there were no knives, nobody would die from being stabbed by one. Stupid argument. There needs to be mandatory firearms education for any firearm purchase, period. There needs to be better screening to weed out the obvious nutters. Not rocket science.

Cars are made for transport, knifes are made for cutting meat etc. Guns are made to kill.

Not rocket science there is a difference.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Not rocket science there is a difference.

Now, I am in a particularly quirky mood so I really must point out that both guns and rockets rely on a similar principal of expanded gases to work. It's a tangent I agree, but.... ????

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

The woman parked in a disabled parking space which he took exception to.

So, instead of minding his own business he acted in a threatening manner towards a defenceless mother and her children. For that alone, he could've been shot by a passerby. The victim comes out to protect the woman and children, knocks Drejika to the ground in defending the woman and children; then Drejika shoots him.

That's not "stand your ground"; that's murder of a person who was protecting others. The sheriff mad a bad call here. And I think the jury saw it that way, too.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

And if there was no handgun / gun present because it was against the law to carry handguns in daily life scenarios then there wouldn't be a dead person. Not rocket science.

That's a rather substantial leap of logic. There are plenty of ways to kill someone without a gun.

22 minutes ago, Cereal said:

There are plenty of ways to kill someone without a gun.

Yes, there are, but pulling a trigger is by far the easiest way to kill someone. I can guarantee you there would be a lot less killing in the USA if guns were not so readily available to everybody and their uncle.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Civilized society to me and I guess many others (but perhaps not to many Americans) means the public not carrying guns and heavy penalties for violence.

Yep leave it to the knives and acid attacks that seem to be the THING in some European countries now.. Bad people do bad things. A 95 pound woman shooting a group of idiots trying to rape her may not be fine in some of the more refined countries but I would say don't try to rape in many of the states in America unless you feel darn lucky.

4 hours ago, donnacha said:

I disagree. Sure, you should not court confrontation but, in normal life, there are always situations in which you should remonstrate with people who are behaving unreasonably. That is the social role of responsible men.

For instance, if teenagers are misbehaving in a cinema and causing distress to other patrons, I think it is valid to approach them and, non-aggressively, ask them to be more considerate. That does actually work in most situations. I mean, I actually do that, and I find that humor is very effective.

As an example, in Dublin, you could approach a gang of schoolboys and ask them to be reasonable, regardless of ethnic background, but you would avoid any interaction with junkies (and, in Dublin, they all seem to be white).

If I was in Florida, yeah, I probably would not say anything to black teenagers, that would be too fraught, too complicated. I would just go get a refund and go home.

"I disagree. Sure, you should not court confrontation but, in normal life, there are always situations in which you should remonstrate with people who are behaving unreasonably. That is the social role of responsible men."

I agree with this - apart from the way you restricted it to "the social role of responsible men"....

Sadly, more than a few areas are now 'ruled' by louts and the like as they have been allowed to get away with their appalling, threatening behavior by the rest of the population who are too scared to 'tell them off' - and frequently for good reasons nowadays. ☹️

1 hour ago, rudi49jr said:

So why did the guy on the ground still shoot his attacker after he backed off when he saw the handgun? 

"The reports say that the aggressor only backed off when he saw the handgun."

A combination of the two seems about right, but that doesn't excuse the convicted for shooting the man who was backing away.  He was rightfully convicted.

2 hours ago, Cereal said:

That's a rather substantial leap of logic. There are plenty of ways to kill someone without a gun.

And that argument doesn't cancel the point that if no guns there is way less likelihood of people being killed. 

13 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And that argument doesn't cancel the point that if no guns there is way less likelihood of people being killed. 

Maybe if you just stayed home, never went out, you'd have a better chance of not getting killed.

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

Civilized society to me

means  respecting parking spaces  designated for people whose needs require it and not  hitting  people who  point out your  errors. Black white green or red makes  no odds.

Just watched the video and after the unprovoked  attack ( he  was  telling the woman about parking there I  guess) I  think he was in his  rights  to shoot, who  knows what the attacker would  have done next.

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

if

you can ifs and buts  all day, there is  a law, if the black guy hadnt  parked there hadnt  hit  the guy , spoken decently about the parking spot etc etc or heavens above actually  apologised and said sorry he " didnt realise" or  "thought it was ok for a minute" etc, endless scenarios, no  gun who  knows? often gun is  replaced by knife, club , baseball bat. all will  kill with almost as  much ease.

14 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

means  respecting parking spaces  designated for people whose needs require it and not  hitting  people who  point out your  errors. Black white green or red makes  no odds.

Just watched the video and after the unprovoked  attack ( he  was  telling the woman about parking there I  guess) I  think he was in his  rights  to shoot, who  knows what the attacker would  have done next.

3 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

you can ifs and buts  all day, there is  a law, if the black guy hadnt  parked there hadnt  hit  the guy , spoken decently about the parking spot etc etc or heavens above actually  apologised and said sorry he " didnt realise" or  "thought it was ok for a minute" etc, endless scenarios, no  gun who  knows? often gun is  replaced by knife, club , baseball bat. all will  kill with almost as  much ease.

As you say, there is a law, hence the conviction.

10 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

There are sheep and there are sheep dogs. One must be prepared. 

Ya walk away from a lot of bs when you carry. But when the real predator attacks.....

So why  has the US  society  become this  way? Surely that is  more the  question than  the simple declared right to  carry arms.

This was  an altercation  about a parking  spot. Progressed to a situation involving violent aggression .

Solution: shoot and kill !  " I have the  right" !

What next ?  " You lookin at me?  I don't  like it. I feel threatened !   "   Bam !

Pathetic !

Archived