Perhaps this is why "we" don't matter...

MalandLee

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Don't believe any statistics which you haven't forged yourself

These numbers come from http://www.atta.or.th/ and this is the number of visitors who used services of their members (travel agencies)

So this only includes people using some kind of travel agency for comming to Thailand.

Westerners visiting Thailand usually book their own flight and accomodation and don't use a travel agency so their number in this statistic will be much lower than the real number.

Good point - also their government may not even allow them to travel as individuals, the Chinese people resident in China not being encouraged to think or act in other ways as such! I'm not saying it's wrong or right but having citizens flitting about the world, doing their own thing is not how China has transformed itself into such a great power.

2 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Very interesting chart...I think it closely reflects current visitors to Thailand close enough to draw your own conclusions as to why Chinese is being taught in school...not sure about all schools but is mandatory in my son's school...

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" (Mark Twain) of course as with many "statistics" the devil is in the detail. However, even if the figures are "in the ball park" so to speak it is a massive shift for Thailand.

I think your son will only benefit from learning Chinese.

Good Luck - Mal

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

Ha Ha Ha

I wonder what the spending average per visit is by country?

Do rich Western Europe, US, Japan, Korea, Saudi, UAE, etc. tourists spend more per person per visit - than others? Or is Thailand attracting the wealthy of less affluent nations as tourists so it doesn't matter.

5 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Chinese is being taught in school...not sure about all schools but is mandatory in my son's school...

Chinese lesson one ... 'please don't take a s**t in our street'

33 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

white people wake up. it is over.

Fear not white man, President Trump will save the white race.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Haha 2

I think Thailand will come to regret the influx of Chinese. They are not welcomed by most Thai and seen as rude and abrasive which I throughly concur.

But I think there is a huge criminal element in their ranks. Even the best of them are breaking the law exporting cash to buy property. But there will be all sorts of crime going on if it's not already - online scams, racketeering, mafia, etc

Not a week goes by some racket is uncovered.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 2

On 8/28/2019 at 1:35 PM, jackdd said:

These numbers come from http://www.atta.or.th/ and this is the number of visitors who used services of their members (travel agencies)

So this only includes people using some kind of travel agency for coming to Thailand.

Westerners visiting Thailand usually book their own flight and accomodation and don't use a travel agency so their share in this statistic will be much smaller than it actually is

These stats may very well include something as simple as going through the airport as Bkok has become an international hub. It also likely includes all land crossings so for instance the poipet border is crossed by a cambodian buying noodles and guess what he is now a tourist lol.  Let's see the data in depth but that likely will never happen.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:35 PM, jackdd said:

So this only includes people using some kind of travel agency for coming to Thailand.

Westerners visiting Thailand usually book their own flight and accomodation and don't use a travel agency so their share in this statistic will be much smaller than it actually is

Yes, it's BS. Absolute BS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

There have been alone, this year:

2.2 mio Malay

1.1 mio Indians

1 mio South Koreans

1 mio Laos

1 mio Japanese

870k Russians

680k US ....

That's 7.85 MIO from these 7 Nations compared to 6.6 Mio chinese, which alone tells you how bs this chart above is.

The best is their website excerpt: 

Important reasons why you should travel with an ATTA registered member company

1. The information contained in the illustrated brochures provided by ATTA registered companies is always accurate, always up to date and always fully detailed

2. The quality of service provided to clients is of the highest order and equivalent to the best internationally recognised standards

always accurate yum...

Clip_31-31.jpg

Here you can see that these ATTA agencies only have 3-5 mio customers each year and it's decreasing by 10% yoy, decreasing since 2 years already.

So totally irrelevant, that's less than 10% of tourists in thailand.

If you add up all the Top 25 you will notice the chines are far  far less than half of the tourists.

touris.PNG

Edited by ThomasThBKK
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, MalandLee said:

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" (Mark Twain) of course as with many "statistics" the devil is in the detail. However, even if the figures are "in the ball park" so to speak it is a massive shift for Thailand.

I think your son will only benefit from learning Chinese.

Good Luck - Mal

The sad part is that you can hardly find students who can say a whole sentence. Niehauu maa. 

18 hours ago, yogi100 said:

According the cake there are more Russians coming to the LOS than there are Britons, Germans, French and Americans put together

And more Russians than Indians!

Who'd have thought it.

Me..I live on Soi Gulag AKA Soi Cozy Beach!

45 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I think Thailand will come to regret the influx of Chinese. They are not welcomed by most Thai and seen as rude and abrasive which I throughly concur.

But I think there is a huge criminal element in their ranks. Even the best of them are breaking the law exporting cash to buy property. But there will be all sorts of crime going on if it's not already - online scams, racketeering, mafia, etc

Not a week goes by some racket is uncovered.

Wasnt there a gun fight between the Chinese and Thai mafia years ago in Pattaya? The Chinese mafia were getting too poweful and the boys from bangkok had to come to Pattaya to help their Thai comrades?

Even if statistics might differ, the trend is clear and indisputable.

Chinese outnumber all "western" nations by far.

Indians on the rise.

It's simple Thai math:

if Chinese tourist spends 1/10 of a US tourist then simply pull in 10 Chinese for one US tourist :biggrin:

I remember very well the slogans some x years ago: we need quality tourists.

Haha.

180 degree turn.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, yogi100 said:

According the cake there are more Russians coming to the LOS than there are Britons, Germans, French and Americans put together

And more Russians than Indians!

Who'd have thought it.

Before the ~50% crash of the Russian ruble this would not have surprised me.

And it's indeed surprising that they still come in numbers.

Edited by KhunBENQ

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

the Chinese outspend us all. it is a myth that they don't spend money.

MasterCard proved it when they released stats last year . And still the stupid farang insist they are zero dollar tourist repeating it over and over until it becomes true lol

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Before the ~50% crash of the Russian ruble this would not have surprised me.

And it's indeed surprising that they still come in numbers.

A different class of Russians.  Poor, badly dressed and uneducated. Still brutish,arrogant and ill mannered but less bling

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

I wouldn't trust ANYTHING on Wikipedia. Any one can claim anything and then insert a citation to back it up. It is Georges Ministry Of Information on steroids.

You shouldn't trust anything, always verify the sources ????

The numbers on Wikipedia come from the Ministry of Tourism and Sports

For Jan-Jul 2019 we can see that in reality the Chinese make up "only" about 28%, not 57% as suggested by OP (for example Europe about 17%)

Edited by jackdd