Perhaps this is why "we" don't matter...

MalandLee

The chart shows that Malaysia as a fairly low percentage of the whole tourist figure makes me question all data presented. Western tourists have definitely taken a nose dive in figures in recent years, don't even need to see data on that to know. Thailand has lost its 'cool' factor in the West and is played out. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 2:02 PM, piersbeckett said:

Good point - also their government may not even allow them to travel as individuals, the Chinese people resident in China not being encouraged to think or act in other ways as such! I'm not saying it's wrong or right but having citizens flitting about the world, doing their own thing is not how China has transformed itself into such a great power.

Don't ever believe any numbers from TAT regarding tourism during 2019. The TAT boss said that the number just went down 1,7% the first 2 quarters. Local districts reported -30% including Phuket,Koh Samui and Pattaya. Thai Airways reported a loss of ~6 billion baht during the first 2 quarters. That's a true number.

the Chinese outspend us all. it is a myth that they don't spend money.

Policies change and the central government policy that permitted spending / investing abroad is said to have been reversed. Other places and businesses are reporting on the effects of this change in policy. I note the following article is from 2016 and last year saw record numbers of tourists. But it points to a trend which may now be unfolding.

https://www.chinalawblog.com/2016/03/getting-money-out-of-china-the-reality-has-changed.html

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 8/29/2019 at 7:41 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Before the ~50% crash of the Russian ruble this would not have surprised me.

And it's indeed surprising that they still come in numbers.

There are many russians staying in condos,but they don't have any big money to spend. Years ago they were everywhere in Pattaya, now you hardly see them unless you go to a 7/11,Tesco Lotus Express or the local market. 

On 8/29/2019 at 12:01 AM, NCC1701A said:

the Chinese outspend us all. it is a myth that they don't spend money.

Have you ever seen Chinese people in action? Most of the Chinese tourists buy trips to Thailand all-inclusive. That means they have the hotel,lunch and dinner included in the price. Every lunch and dinner is pre-arranged at a choosen restaurant. They are busing them around,sometimes they can walk by themselves along the beach road somewhere for a while even having a beer. Then on the bus again and off they go. The big money coming inside Thailand pays for condos. Some Chinese with money buy stuff they can bring back home. They are NOT big spenders night time. A nice seafood meal once in awhile is not spending big money in my book.

23 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Have you ever seen Chinese people in action? Most of the Chinese tourists buy trips to Thailand all-inclusive. That means they have the hotel,lunch and dinner included in the price. Every lunch and dinner is pre-arranged at a choosen restaurant. They are busing them around,sometimes they can walk by themselves along the beach road somewhere for a while even having a beer. Then on the bus again and off they go. The big money coming inside Thailand pays for condos. Some Chinese with money buy stuff they can bring back home. They are NOT big spenders night time. A nice seafood meal once in awhile is not spending big money in my book.

Actually almost every number out there shows that only around 40% of Chinese tourists in Thailand are on package tours. The rest are free independent travellers and they throw money around like its going out of fashion.

Wife had a shop on Beach Rd years ago.  There were umpteen buses parked up with Chinese tourists as the seat warmers.  Herded on and off like cattle.  Wife never got a look in with them.  They only shopped where they were told to.   She did get a few independent Chinese but more often she got Malays in the shop who did Buy goods.  Has anything changed? 

Edited by Grumpy John

On 9/4/2019 at 12:41 PM, Max69xl said:

There are many russians staying in condos,but they don't have any big money to spend. Years ago they were everywhere in Pattaya, now you hardly see them unless you go to a 7/11,Tesco Lotus Express or the local market. 

where do you need to be stepping up from to be a big spender in patts?

uk lower working class, usa blue collar plumbers on a two week holiday, india middle class?

depends what your comparing it to.

26 minutes ago, fhickson said:

where do you need to be stepping up from to be a big spender in patts?

uk lower working class, usa blue collar plumbers on a two week holiday, india middle class?

depends what your comparing it to.

If you don't understand my explanation about Russians,then you didn't spend any time in Pattaya before the rubel fell straight after Russias actions in Ukraine and the sanctions. If you don't have a clue about the difference between Russians spending money now and then, then I really doubt you know anything about Pattaya. I do,because I have been living here many years.