Britain's Queen could be asked to suspend parliament on Wednesday: BBC journalist

webfact

22 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

By the public. Conservatives won 317 seats, not an overall majority and formed an alliance with the DUP to form a government, of which she was Prime Minister.

No one voted for Theresa May. Have you even seen a UK ballot paper? If you have, you need to pay more attention as to what you're voting for.

Again, no one ever voted, in a GE, for Theresa May as PM. 

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now theres a surprise !

However how can it be undemocratic to take steps to uphold the views of the CURRENT democracy ? - we've moved on from 2016, it isn't wanted anymore therefore to deny the opportunity to overturn what is now more widely understood as uneducated lunacy is entirely undemocratic !

Bojo's thuggery removed the word 'democracy' from the leavers arsenal.

However all this isn't worth the upset - its temporary, the younger generations will restore closer links as there are far fewer racists and xenophobes amongst the young, as evidenced by the vote demographics, and thankfully the aforementioned racists and xenophobes will continue to die off to extinction, many thankfully have already left us !

The moment you stereotype people as racists & xenophobes is also a clear sign you’ve lost the argument.

Enjoy the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tory party at full blown legal war with itself.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/aug/30/politics-brexit-mps-lawyers-and-campaigners-battle-prorogation-live-news?page=with:block-5d68e35d8f082209d3224453#block-5d68e35d8f082209d3224453

4m ago 10:05

On Wednesday Major warned that said he was seeking legal advice on whether he can challenge Johnson’s decision to prorogue parliament.

In a statement read out on BBC News, Major said: “I have no doubt that the prime minister’s motive in seeking prorogation is to bypass a sovereign parliament that opposes his policy. As events unfold I will continue to seek advice on the legality of this and other matters, but will be making no further comment.”

Last month Major said he would be willing to go to court to seek a judicial review to stop Johnson proroguing parliament.

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/aug/30/politics-brexit-mps-lawyers-and-campaigners-battle-prorogation-live-news?page=with:block-5d68e35d8f082209d3224453#block-5d68e35d8f082209d3224453

On Wednesday Major warned that said he was seeking legal advice on whether he can challenge Johnson’s decision to prorogue parliament.

In a statement read out on BBC News, Major said: “I have no doubt that the prime minister’s motive in seeking prorogation is to bypass a sovereign parliament that opposes his policy. As events unfold I will continue to seek advice on the legality of this and other matters, but will be making no further comment.”

Last month Major said he would be willing to go to court to seek a judicial review to stop Johnson proroguing parliament.

He has now announced that he's backing Gina Miller's court action and will be playing his hand in that.

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

Of course Major would never have contemplated such a thing. Oh, hang on a sec...

1 hour ago, Forethat said:

No one voted for Theresa May. Have you even seen a UK ballot paper? If you have, you need to pay more attention as to what you're voting for.

Ah yes schoolboy semantics. Sorry, I'm off to play with the adults. You stay and play with Vogie and LG.

Latest legal challenge to Brexit from Edinburgh court (Cherry case) has been rejected/denied.

Now, just the Miller case outstanding.

I suspect that with JRM have excellent in depth knowledge of political legalities & protocols more than most MP's along with AG Cox advice to ensure all is legal, we will see this outcome in due course.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Latest legal challenge to Brexit from Edinburgh court (Cherry case) has been rejected/denied.

I suspect that with JRM have excellent in depth knowledge of political legalities & protocols more than most MP's along with AG Cox advice to ensure all is legal, we will see this outcome in due course.

"has been rejected/denied."

A small correction in full.....

3m ago 10:25

Judge Lord Doherty dismissed the action ahead of a full hearing originally set for 6 September.

"has been rejected/denied."

A small correction in full.....
3m ago 10:25
Judge Lord Doherty dismissed the action ahead of a full hearing originally set for 6 September.
I concur, IIRC next Tuesday.

The Anti Brexit Barrister is also attempting to obtain/demand an affidavit (scottish legal document) from PM of his objectives of Proroguing.

Clutching at straws with that one considering No#10 would taken specific legal advice from AG Cox.

5 minutes ago, citybiker said:

I concur, IIRC next Tuesday.

The Anti Brexit Barrister is also attempting to obtain/demand an affidavit (scottish legal document) from PM of his objectives of Proroguing.

Clutching at straws with that one considering No#10 would taken specific legal advice from AG Cox.

Yes correct as ...

2m ago 10:35

More on the Scottish challenge:

Aiden O’Neill QC, representing those for the action, argued for the substantive hearing to be moved forward.

He said: “There is an urgency to this - any delay is prejudicial - not just to the prejudice of the petitioners, but to the country as a whole.”

The hearing was then changed from Friday September 6 to Tuesday in the “interest of justice”.

Lord Doherty said: “I’m going to move the substantive hearing forward to Tuesday.
“Weighing consideration in the balance, it’s in the interest of justice that it proceeds sooner rather than later.”

18 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Ah yes schoolboy semantics. Sorry, I'm off to play with the adults. You stay and play with Vogie and LG.

Nice to see that the remainers are going out with all guns blazing, blusters last stand.????????????

25 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Another challenge going through the courts in Belfast.

Edinburgh case back in court on Tuesday.

Miller case now the Miller/Major case.

6 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Edinburgh case back in court on the 6th.

Miller/Major challenge also  to be heard on 6 September

2m ago 10:53

Joanna Cherry, the SNP’s justice and home affairs spokeswoman and one of those who brought the case against prorogation, said the decision to bring forward the full hearing to next Tuesday was a vindication of the action.

Speaking outside Edinburgh’s Court of Session, she confirmed the judge had refused to grant an emergency order against prorogation. She said:

“But he hasn’t made any ruling on the merits of our arguments that prorogation should be stopped. He wants to hear further and full argument on Tuesday morning hear the Court of Session before making a decision. I see that as a victory for us.

“Aidan O’Neill, QC, who is instructed by myself and my fellow petitioners, pointed out to the court that the court ordered that affidavits should be lodged at an earlier stage.

“The prime minster should lodge a sworn affidavit setting out his reasons for the prorogation and make himself available for cross examination before the court if necessary.

16 minutes ago, david555 said:

2m ago 10:53

Joanna Cherry, the SNP’s justice and home affairs spokeswoman and one of those who brought the case against prorogation, said the decision to bring forward the full hearing to next Tuesday was a vindication of the action.

Speaking outside Edinburgh’s Court of Session, she confirmed the judge had refused to grant an emergency order against prorogation. She said:

“But he hasn’t made any ruling on the merits of our arguments that prorogation should be stopped. He wants to hear further and full argument on Tuesday morning hear the Court of Session before making a decision. I see that as a victory for us.

“Aidan O’Neill, QC, who is instructed by myself and my fellow petitioners, pointed out to the court that the court ordered that affidavits should be lodged at an earlier stage.

“The prime minster should lodge a sworn affidavit setting out his reasons for the prorogation and make himself available for cross examination before the court if necessary.

and I thought when he asked the Queen for the prorogation he had to provide the details/reason for the request, was I incorrect and he didn't give any reason ?

Edinburgh case back in court on Tuesday.

So three legal challenges in total?

1,Belfast.
2,Cherry
3,Miller/Major.

Blimey, September is going to be a political rollercoaster & thats even before conference season.

5 hours ago, Forethat said:

To use one of Laughing Gravys many clichés you're embarrassing yourself - the point to a half intellect would be pretty clear but unable to see past the end of your nose at the bigger picture you fail.

If Boris wanted a clear mandate why not just call a general election on a no deal ticket ? - if he got in on that the remainers game would be up - but he won't because he would lose, so in his unelected non mandated position he can act like the child and force things through that the British public no longer want (I saw a survey today that even said 49% of LEAVERS do not want to leave with a no-deal.

He's caught in Cummings headlights and now acting on the wishes of a three year old vote that is not applicable today on behalf of a rapidly diminishing rabble that should be forced to wear mittens in order to do themselves no harm.

Archived