Thailand to acquire 120 U.S. armoured vehicles

Jonathan Fairfield

16 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

time to shoot some citizens again, they haven't done it for quite a while

it's not like Thai army ever fought against someone else

You are absolutely wrong about that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_Armed_Forces#Korean_War_(1950–1953)

Try a little research before you post.

The Thai army was active in the Korean war, the Vietnam war, and even the Vietnamese border war when Vietnam took over Cambodia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catoni said:

5555 would you rather live next door to China or Russia?

I was born and raised in Canada five miles from the U.S border. The Niagara region. 

There is not another country I would want to live next door to, with possibly the exception of Switzerland. But then we would have other countries bordering us also. 

And I always felt just as much at home in the U.S. as I did in Canada. I’ve spent lots of time in the U.S. and have both Canadian and U.S. relatives. 

I could not imagine living right next to China or Russia. (Think Tibet, Ukraine, former Eastern Europe etc.)

The U.S. is a great country to live next to. They are wonderful good neighbors. Cousins. 

That is because the US would rather drop its s..t/bombs far away from home... say, everywhere except around North America... it looks cleaner... 

It is really fascinating to see people fantasazing over the alleged imperial ambitions of Russia and China, while being completely oblivious of the more than 800 American military bases, spreaded in more than 100 countries, involved in conflicts in dozens of countries, and constantly trying to start new ones! 

And don't forget the financial sanctions slapped around the world, including on so-called allies! 

There is one empire, a very bad one as all empires are, and it is certainly not Russia or China.

Time to wake up and turn CNN off... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Curiously, Americans seem to suffer some kind of reverse Alzheimer... they perfectly remember WWII, more than 70 years ago, but have completely forgotten their more recent achievements of the 21st century: Afghanistan, Irak, Syria, Libya, multiple smaller African conflicts, not to mention the multiple ongoing destabilization operations in Iran, Venezuela, Ukraine and so on. 

Sure...all the fault of the capitalist, bourgeoisie, oppressive great satan U.S. exploiting the poor, downtrodden, proletariat working class. 

Right comrade? “Workers of the world, unite”.   55555 ???? 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

time to shoot some citizens again, they haven't done it for quite a while

it's not like Thai army ever fought against someone else

Not strictly true, the RTA most recently performed rather poorly against the Cambodians a few years back, over a Khmer period temple and the land surrounding it. In 1989/90 they performed even worse, in another piece of argy-bargy over some land bordering the Mekhong, against the Pathet Lao government, and under the illustrious leadership of Defence Minister Chavalit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Catoni said:

Wow...amazing. Are you aware of all the military bases the U.S. has closed? (One example among many...Philippines)

Are you aware that the U.S. did not just walk in and set up bases? They were allowed to in agreed to deals. Or even asked to come in to help.

The U.S. is not perfect. No country is. 

But just imagine if the 20th century had been a century with no U.S. 

Who would have stopped the spread of Communism? Europe ? England? Canada? Australia? 

Keep dreaming “Brunolem”.

Do you really think it would have been a better world? 

Right now, we live in 2019, not 1945.

If you want to redo History, why stop at the 20th century and the American accomplishments? 

It was not the first time that military actions changed the direction of politics in a number of countries. 

We could also say that without the Eastern barbarians, we could still be under the domination of the Roman empire. 

In 1945, there was a turning point, as there have been many others, and now we are arriving at another turning point... and the good and bad actors are not always the same, otherwise we would have to count Germany and Japan as being part of the bad ones... things change and so do countries... 

• Like 1

The real question is, why do they need these vehicles? Not from any threat posed by the neighbors Burma, Malaysia, Cambodia or Laos. I believe it is from an internal threat. The army knows how much they are despised by the nation, and especially the youth. I am fairly certain eventually the youth will rise up against the army. Will the army have an appetite for killing the youth, at that point? I doubt it. Just look at Hong Kong. Imagine if millions of Thais took to the streets? Not tens of thousands like in the past. But millions upon millions. The older generation will not do it. They are too conventional, and too conservative, and too apathetic about politics. But, there is an emerging generation of youth here, that is impressive on a few fronts, and they are increasingly interested in activism. It is a positive sign, for the future of the nation. The army is doing absolutely nothing for the people. They must go. And it is possible the youth will eventually show them the door. Let us hope. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The real question is, why do they need these vehicles? Not from any threat posed by the neighbors Burma, Malaysia, Cambodia or Laos. I believe it is from an internal threat. The army knows how much they are despised by the nation, and especially the youth. I am fairly certain eventually the youth will rise up against the army. Will the army have an appetite for killing the youth, at that point? I doubt it. Just look at Hong Kong. Imagine if millions of Thais took to the streets? Not tens of thousands like in the past. But millions upon millions. The older generation will not do it. They are too conventional, and too conservative, and too apathetic about politics. But, there is an emerging generation of youth here, that is impressive on a few fronts, and they are increasingly interested in activism. It is a positive sign, for the future of the nation. The army is doing absolutely nothing for the people. They must go. And it is possible the youth will eventually show them the door. Let us hope. 

Y'all don't need Strykers to keep the kiddies in line. Plenty of cheaper armoured vehicles out there.

And we arent going to sell strikers willy-nilly to nations unless it is in our geopolitical interest to do so. Cambodia. China.

• Like 2

The way its going they will be using them against their own
Oh according to AMM the head of the army (Yes that nice chappie with all the medals ) was visiting Germany by Thai government plane ..probably visiting friends! 

Yes and I am wondering how he got the A340 ? Stole it from Thai Airways and repainted it without them noticing?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You are absolutely wrong about that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_Armed_Forces#Korean_War_(1950–1953)

Try a little research before you post.

The Thai army was active in the Korean war, the Vietnam war, and even the Vietnamese border war when Vietnam took over Cambodia.

Hahaha - yes active supporting the mass murderer Pol Pot for gemstone concessions at the border.
They where lucky the Vietnamese played by the rules and stopped at the border every time the murderous Khmer Rouge retreated into Thailand with the help of the Thai army - which was supposed to protect the borders but was lending a helping hand to the mass murderers instead.

Thailand (and the rest of the world) were watching genocide being committed and Thailand actively supported the criminals who perpetrated these crimes for profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 hours ago, RLAretired said:

Chachoengsao, eh?  Is there some threat of invasion from Cambodia in that direction? 

Chachoengsao is close to Bangkok.  Excellent expressway between the two.  And a railway also.

In the other direction, easy to reach into Isaarn from that base.

Can't help but wonder what "contingency" is being planned for with all these armored vehicles.

Looks like they are fitted with standard road tyres..

Maybe getting ready ???

Naa, we will wait and see..

32 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No I not imagine millions of Thais took the street, so lazy with play game and facebook, this generation is lost before born.

Hong Kong is spontaneous protest street ??? Yes but with some help from Brit and Us

19 hours ago, bluesofa said:

The Thai Navy did. When the Japanese invaded Thailand on 8 December 1941, the Thai Navy fought them for nearly five hours, until they were instructed by their government to stop.

Capitulate? Never.

Don't forget the Thai-Lao border war of 1988. The plucky under-invested Lao army bested them good and proper. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai–Laotian_Border_War

Edited by beautifulthailand99

18 hours ago, Banana7 said:

With the Chinese navy moving into Cambodia, you can bet Chinese land forces will be moving in soon too. There were lots of clashes at the Thai/Cambo border and soon those clashes will resume, with the help of Chinese military.  Thai army lost lots of men, almost every night, in those clashes. Those strykers will help prevent such losses.

The stryker turrets can be equipped with a wide variety equipment, not just remote machine guns.

China is a real and genuine threat to Thailand and democracy. China is snuffing out any hint of democracy, as we see in Hong Kong. China plans to slowly erode all democracy in Southeast Asia.

Gulf of Thailand has deep water, suitable for nuclear submarines. Chinese have developed about 5-10 nuclear submarines. These subs will come to the Cambo waters.

Thailand doesn't want to be taking orders from Beijing.

They will of course in the end. The Sino-thai owners of the economy are heavily invested in China and speak the lingo.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

They will of course in the end. The Sino-thai owners of the economy are heavily invested in China and speak the lingo.

So your position is that the "Sino Thai owners" are traitors that will sell their nations sovereignty for a baht?

Harsh dude,harsh.

19 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Japanese invasion of Thailand:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_invasion_of_Thailand

That's why the Bridge On The River Kwai  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridge_on_the_River_Kwai

is such a well know film. How else could the Japanese have run a prisoner of war camp in Kanchanaburi, unless they invaded Thailand?

Bridge in the river Kwai movie, an absolute load of American bullsh1t. 

28 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

So your position is that the "Sino Thai owners" are traitors that will sell their nations sovereignty for a baht?

Harsh dude,harsh.

China Thai owner are not traitors, all is China peoples immigrate not Thai.

20 hours ago, bluesofa said:

The Thai Navy did. When the Japanese invaded Thailand on 8 December 1941, the Thai Navy fought them for nearly five hours, until they were instructed by their government to stop.

Capitulate? Never.

the Govt Orders took too long to filter down the line... the naval officer didn't know that they were supposed to just play along with a display of pretending to resist...   as per the agreement the stand in thai leader had already created with the advancing japanese...

1 hour ago, ICELANDMAN said:

China Thai owner are not traitors, all is China peoples immigrate not Thai.

So you are saying that they are Chinese citizens? Controlling Thailand?

14 hours ago, Thechook said:

More toys for the boys they'll never play with.  This military government just loves spending the country's money on themselves 

Most of these expenditures would never occur if it were not for huge kickbacks same as all the misappropriated road funds, etc. 

21 hours ago, RLAretired said:

I didn't know that!  Thank you, @bluesofa for that little history lesson.

Actually it was the Navy cadets who fought the Japanese until they were ordered to stop, the Thai Navy sallied forth to do battle with the French Navy as they were sailing away from Vietnam...it didn't end well for the Thai Navy so they built "Victory" monument to "celebrate" the battle...,it's a very interesting read! 

China is conducting a different kind of warfare and is in the process of already taking Thailand a few American vehicles make no difference.

I suggest all watch this.  It is basically right on except for the overzealous part of clearing out the south china sea so quickly.

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

Bridge in the river Kwai movie, an absolute load of American bullsh1t. 

Ha ha The Thai government invited the Japanese in, why do you think the allies wanted to put No 8 up for war crimes??

Arm chiar quaterbacks can speculate,dismiss and pontificate all they want.There have been more than 7,000 deaths in the last 15 years in Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat.More than 12,000 injuries. All related to an insurection that has no solution in sight.Just maybe they could be put to use there.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 8:17 AM, PatOngo said:

The base there is tasked with providing security for Suwannabumi Airport and Laem Chabang port I read recently. The rest of the APC's are to quell dissent in Bangkok if needed. There are no enemies elsewhere.

No one knows if they're going to be used to "quess dissent" as you put it. You saying it doesn't make it true.

As for Thailand's enemies. Have you looked at the southern border lately [for the past 15 or so years]? Malay-Muslim militants have cost almost 7,000 lives from 2004 up until now. So good move Thailand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TPI said:

Ha ha The Thai government invited the Japanese in, why do you think the allies wanted to put No 8 up for war crimes??

If you are saying what I think you are trying to say, I suggest a revisit to the history books.