Just how important is Free Speech?

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

If its so important to you, why do you choose to live in a country where you have restrictions, cant vote, and have no say whatsoever ?

Charlie, I ask myself that question every day.

The only answer I can come up with is that I can't be bothered going anywhere else at the moment.

Thailand is sold to us as the land of smiles, right? What if it was sold as the way you just described it? Would it still appeal to you?

Edited by kellersphuket

4 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

Charlie, I ask myself that question every day.

The only answer I can come up with is that I can't be bothered going anywhere else at the moment.

Thailand is sold to us as the land of smiles, right? What if it was sold as the way you just described it? Would it still appeal to you?

Same here does not bother me does not rate high on my day to day base.

If i were like you id be gone and moan in an other country. There is no perfection anywhere.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 2

If you're into politics or religion, then maybe Thailand (or many other countries in Asia) are not the right places to live.  Try speaking up against the ruling political party and see what happens.  Try converting the local Buddhists to Christianity and see what happens.

Me, I don't care a fig about politics or religion. I've learnt to be totally selfish and consider myself first.  If I have any charity left over, then I'll get involved in that on my terms and to hell with what others say or think about me ????

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Doesnt bother me in the slightest, doesnt effect the way I choose to live my life.

Funnily enough I don't feel for you.

My heart goes out to the young kids of tomorrow growing up in a society where speaking your mind has restrictions and is generally frowned upon.

how can thailand advance without free speech?

just look at China.

• Like 2

Just now, kellersphuket said:

Funnily enough I don't feel for you.

My heart goes out to the young kids of tomorrow growing up in a society where speaking your mind has restrictions and is generally frowned upon.

how can thailand advance without free speech?

just look at China.

When you know no difference, it makes no difference. Thats how they choose to live, to use their own phrase "up to them" its not our concern, none of our business and if you try including yourself in it, you will regret it.

• Like 1

Just now, mania said:

Sorry but long term this type of thinking has robbed the youth of Thailand

Sometime the youth lie to Mum and Dad.

Keep everyone happy/peaceful.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Hate speech is not considered as free speech in my country ( Belgium ) and thus forbidden.

I believe the U.S.A. has another opinion about the matter.

Free speech in the USA has had a long and tortured history.  In the modern day, it seems everyone supports free speech....but only if they agree with the speech.  Our current President is a good example.  As for hate speech, it sure seems like if you encourage others to violence, you're protected.  But if you yourself threatened to commit violence, not legal.  I'll just say that although free speech is vital to a healthy democracy--especially a free press--it can be so easily abused.  And that's what's going on in the USA right now. 

I wouldn't say it's "better to lie" just be less direct.

But again, I see people thinking that 'free speech' & ' freedom' are carte blance to say & do what they want.

There is responsibility to be considered; a duty of care.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If some nutter says the earth is flat and other nutters believe that that is bad enough

For this I would look to the person that believes such nonsense rather than the creator.

Any person who believes that the earth is flat in 2019 is a lost cause and should look at themselves very, very hard.

2 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

For this I would look to the person that believes such nonsense rather than the creator.

Any person who believes that the earth is flat in 2019 is a lost cause and should look at themselves very, very hard.

But how about politicians who complexly ignore scientific evidence?

When i.e. some people want that kids learn in school that some old guy with a white beard created earth and everything on earth about 6,000 years ago.

It's crazy, and all evidence is against it, but so called authorities are still allowed to publish such BS ideas.

And lots of people still believe that if the authorities say something then it must be true...

• Like 1