Cost Of Private English Tutor

If you know someone well enough to ask as a friend, and he lives near you, then the smallest you should really offer (without imposing) is 400B an hour- that's if he just has to walk next door in his free time. If he actually has to go anywhere, raise that to 500B an hour. And if he's not your friend, at least 600-700B if you want someone relatively professional and reliable. That's saving considerably off what an agency would charge you, incidentally.

"S"

Thanks folks for the info.

I guessed for the full professional job, abut 1000 bhat an hour would be the rate. I d rather pay a bit extra for a professional.

I could teacher her myself (got 2 degress me etc) but I do not have the time dueto business, not patience for that sort of work, so best to outsource to someone who has!

I agree with you but don't think for a second that how much you pay or where you find the teacher will have any bearing on their ability. Talk to the teacher first and make your own mind up. Personally I'd insist on a TEFL/CELTA qualified teacher with at least 2 years experience. I'd also insist on using a book to work from rather than expect someone to create their own syllabus.

Failing that why not enrol her on a group course, these do tend to be more structured. Although you may find it difficult to find one with a decent number of hours per week. In my experience most of them are a 2 - 4 hour a week waste of time and won't even run the full course of a text book.

Having taught English at 3 different high schools and each in different parts of the country the past four years here in Thailand, I have some idea of what you could charge outside of Bangkok. Although the high schools would only pay a teacher 300 baht per hour for extra work at the school, I thought 500 baht would be a fair price per hour for private lessons. Unfortunately, you would have difficulty in finding students if you asked that fee.

I've tired of the Thai education system's 'every one passes' (regardless of abilities or interest), so I going to start offering lessons from my home and stop teaching high school. I'm probably one of the few 'fools' who will actually go through the process of obtaining credentials to do so - and it isn't cheap - but I don't want any hassels from the authorities.

From what I'm experiencing here in Trang from interested students is that they find even 300 baht per hour to be too much. I've got over twenty years of teaching experience and lesson plans that target differnent interests, but the bottom line is: how much will the students pay. My time is worth 300 baht per hour even if I use it as free time since I'm also retired and have a monthly income already. Four hundred and thirty local students have already been taught by me so it's just a matter of time after school reopens that they'll want additional lessons. I offer a small savings per student if three or more sign up for the same course as a way of enticing them.

It's simple marketing. If you put your price too high you won't get any takers. You should talk with a Native Speaker that is already giving lessons and find out what they are charging, you might be surprised to hear that many are charing less than 300 baht per hour just to get students. Personally, I'm not going to do it for less than 300 baht per hour regardless. :o

OP, where are you located? Prices vary due to geography, length of travel, etc.

In Phuket, where I live, the lowest I have gone is 350. And that was because my 25 year old had a tear in her eye and I just fell for it, hook - line and sinker.

My normal rates are 500 per hour. But I do most of them at 400. New students I am insisting on the 500.

Clearly your gf needs a qualified tutor/teacher and cost of materials etc, the initial price is about 1000 with books, etc.

I teach Koreans mostly and that is where the desire to learn is at, the money and free Korean meals and soju. :o

Wow, 1000 baht. That seems like dream money to me!

In Chiang Mai the average seems to be around 350 baht p/h, and that's if you visit your student at home. If they come to you then they often pay less. And that includes materials, unless you can get them to buy a text book that you recommend. Most students just won't pay any more than that and there are plenty of teachers looking for private work so it's a buyer's market, as it were.

Even tutors teaching at private companies don't get paid that well. 500 baht seems to be the limit if you get very very lucky.

Most teachers at private language schools here get from 220-250 baht an hour so 350 B an hour seems like a fortune. But life here is a lot cheaper than Down South.

MCL

A good idea, as suggested by another poster, enroll you GF in a language school. If you're prepaired to pay top dollar for a professional teacher, paying 4-5K extra for her to attend a group course once a week for afew hours would benifit her as well. Of course, still organise your private tutor, but it will be good for her to interact with other students and learn from a different teacher. Her private tutor could also help reinforce what she learnt during the course, and that wouldn't take too long as it would be done in a one on one teaching style. But it would benifit her to mix with other students and participate in group learning activities offered at a language school.