Paid electricity bill at BigC, they want ID and phone number!

Vacuum

14 minutes ago, berrec said:

Yes don't get hung up on the small things here, like  previous OP said just drop into your nearest 7/11, all done Bob's your uncle 

Or way simpler, subscribe to the PEA monthly automatic debit and you will never again have to pay an electric bill at BigC, 7/11 or anywhere else... :cool:

On 8/30/2019 at 2:13 PM, ukrules said:

It's so they can send you annoying adverts via SMS

On 8/30/2019 at 2:13 PM, ukrules said:

It's so they can send you annoying adverts via SMS

And what if you don't have a mobile telephone

Edited by Percy P

Big C have a customer reward program. Initially you give them ID, DL was OK and local phone no. Then on each shop visit give phone no and accrued points result in discounts off future shopping trips. Each time we shop, or pay electric or water, my name appears on Big C receipt.. Extra points.. 

Big C only charge 5bht commission on these bills, 7/11 10bht..

It's not a firm requirement for phone no but they want you to have a loyalty account.. That's all. 

Businesses ask for phone numbers because that is what is used as your member number for their promotions. If you aren't a member, just advise you have no number. There is nothing sinister in it.

And on the loyalty thing. I bought a new microwave recently. It was about 2500 baht or something. As I was a member, some member of staff gave me a 300 baht off ticket and then I got another discount at the checkout. Ended up about 30% off without having to ask a thing. They can be useful.

If you don't want to get hounded for your ID and phone number, head directly to the power company and pay there.

Edited by Farangwithaplan

3 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Businesses ask for phone numbers because that is what is used as your member number for their promotions. If you aren't a member, just advise you have no number. There is nothing sinister in it.

If you don't want to get hounded for your ID and phone number, head directly to the power company and pay there.

Yes normally I pay at 7/11 or Tesco (no ID required). This was the first, and last time I did it in BigC.

On 8/30/2019 at 5:54 PM, NancyL said:

I pay the bill at 7-11 or, on rare occasions the PEA desk at Central Festival Mall.  I've never been asked for my passport, phone number or other personal info.

I pay my electricity bill at PEA office too. Never had any problem with any personal info.

PEA staff are very pleasant people unlike most other government offices.

By the way, which floor is this office at Central Festival? I did mine at Meechok plaza.

Edited by EricTh

Starting about 6 months ago, if I go to Krung Thai bank to pay my credit card bill they ask for passport. They will accept driving license. Why do you need to show id to pay a bill? Seem to be becoming the norm to treat everyone with suspicion. I was told Thai people must show their id card to in order to pay. 

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

Because it's none of their festering business. By using their shop to pay bills I normally buy a few things whilst I'm in their, which I assume is why they offer the bill-paying service. Snooping isn't part of the deal.

Oh dear, but don´t go there and complain then. Pay your bills by autopayment or at the provincial office. Moaning is hot this year!

• Sad 3

25 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

And on the loyalty thing. I bought a new microwave recently. It was about 2500 baht or something. As I was a member, some member of staff gave me a 300 baht off ticket and then I got another discount at the checkout. Ended up about 30% off without having to ask a thing. They can be useful.

If you bank with Kasikorn Bank you can pay the PEA-bill using their mobil app. 

This works since June this year. 

On 8/30/2019 at 5:54 PM, NancyL said:

I pay the bill at 7-11 or, on rare occasions the PEA desk at Central Festival Mall.  I've never been asked for my passport, phone number or other personal info.

Yes that is it pay all my bills 7-11 they just want the money

On 8/30/2019 at 6:17 PM, Orton Rd said:

But that's 10 baht at 7/11, not 5 like Big C. No self respecting Thai Mrs will stand for that kind of 'waste'

Mine does. She told me to go to 7/11. I don't even think of Big C anymore.  Of course, I'm the miser, so will reconsider next month. ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Or way simpler, subscribe to the PEA monthly automatic debit and you will never again have to pay an electric bill at BigC, 7/11 or anywhere else... :cool:

Or, if you are banking with for example Kasikorn Bank,using the mobile app. It takes 15 seconds to pay the bill, it's free and you get a receipt sent by email.

16 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Wow, another grown up post. Old one, and have been repeated too much already. Try something new.

If the ironic hypocrisy shoe fits....

You simply can't wrap your head around things that haven't impacted YOU yet.  Because you're a self-absorbed t**t lacking mental elasticity, and empathy.  

Soon as something DOES affect you, you'll be here, registering your outrage, and then get your panties in a twist when you are told it's no big deal, and to suck it up.  Carry on Mr. Wanna Be Moderator.  Next.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2019 at 10:47 AM, 55Jay said:

Reasonable to question divulging personal information. Only you interpret that as making a haystack. 

What's different now than before when it wasn't be asked?  Will it be sold?  More AIS bulls**t where I was somehow subscribed to daily VDO text messages (in Thai) that had been deducting money from our phone credit all along, without our consent or knowledge? 

More Robocalls?  They are an out of control blight on humanity in the US already, seems Thailand's catching on - I've gotten a few here.

So, who's really asking for it and why?   Never been asked for ID or Ph# at PEA office when paying the bill.

If the number calling you is not in your contact list then it is usually blocked as potential spam.

Just now, sunnyboy2018 said:

If the number calling you is not in your contact list then it is usually blocked as potential spam.

Not for the robo-calls I've gotten here. 

More clever in the US, the boiler-rooms do ping calls to see when it is answered, and build a profile for their algorithms. 

4 hours ago, 55Jay said:

If the ironic hypocrisy shoe fits....

You simply can't wrap your head around things that haven't impacted YOU yet.  Because you're a self-absorbed t**t lacking mental elasticity, and empathy.  

Soon as something DOES affect you, you'll be here, registering your outrage, and then get your panties in a twist when you are told it's no big deal, and to suck it up.  Carry on Mr. Wanna Be Moderator.  Next.

Please go on and explain a little bit more. What do you know about me experience things? I have been there with TM30, I am from time to time applying for new visa at nearby embassies, due to that I sometimes go home and need a new when I do not use the multiple entry option and my extension ends. I have been in contact numerous times with the traffic police. I am paying bills in many different places.

In other words, I have experience of most of the things seen as soo big problems on this forum. One thing, though. I do not feel the need to complain about everything in daily life. Actually makes my life more happy. You should try it. ????