Nationwide Card Rules?

I have an debit nationwide card to use in ATM which will run out in a few months. I assume nationwide will not post a new one to Thailand so what do others do just get it posted to a friend in UK? Also is it necessary to tell nationwide you are resident overseas and does that make any difference to accounts (flexi and internet account)

I also use my parents' address. Whenever I am in the UK I always report all of my cards as damaged so that I get replacements with the long expiry dates. This way I never have to problem of having to get cards posted to Thailand

I also use my parents' address. Whenever I am in the UK I always report all of my cards as damaged so that I get replacements with the long expiry dates. This way I never have to problem of having to get cards posted to Thailand

Hi guys,

Jbaldwin, hi, what time frame do they send the new card, are we talking weeks or months.

I have recently sent my new Nationwide card through the post to my girlfriend (what a laxative that was). :D

It arrived OK and she gave it a test run the other day. :bah:

I think what I will do is get the card sent to my daughters home (just do a change of address at the bank) and have her send it to me in Thailand.

I wait in anticipation for better, safer method/s. :o

Thanks

Steve :D:D:D

Nationwide (and all other banks AFAIK) will only send the card to the address they have on file for you. I use my parents place.

They know I 'work' overseas a lot, doesn't seem to matter. New cards turn up about a month before the old one expires.

I have an debit nationwide card to use in ATM which will run out in a few months. I assume nationwide will not post a new one to Thailand so what do others do just get it posted to a friend in UK? Also is it necessary to tell nationwide you are resident overseas and does that make any difference to accounts (flexi and internet account)

Nationwide will send them to Thailand providing that is the address they have on file for you...checked with them only last week. It will not cause any difference to your accounts with them. I am reliably informed you can live any where in the world and hold NW accounts.

Edited by Tafia

Nationwide will send them to Thailand providing that is the address they have on file for you...checked with them only last week. It will not cause any difference to your accounts with them. I am reliably informed you can live any where in the world and hold NW accounts.

Tafia, I'm in the same boat as Dragonfly94 except that one of my Nationwide cards has already (just) expired and I'd like to get it replaced as a back-up to my one remaining card - I have two FlexAccounts, as it happens. When you say "the address they have on file for you", do you know what they will accept as notification of a change of address - e.g. online message or e-mail etc? I'm now based in Thailand and my UK address is currently being rented out and I suspect that the tenants will not sign for receipt of a replacement card - so it would be great if I can notify Nationwide of a change of address to one in Thailand.

I've been nervous of doing that until I saw that you wrote "I am reliably informed you can live any where in the world and hold NW accounts". My understanding until now has been that this is a grey area and that NW (at best) turn a blind eye to it? Would be great to know that I'm wrong and don't need to worry. :o Finally, do NW send out the replacement card by courier and make a charge for that? I'm not bothered by the cost - just want to know that I'll get it securely............. TIT etc.

I get a monthly statement by post from NW, to my adress in Thai, it arives on the 7th of every month, i would imagine a new card {as in UK ] will arive and a few days later a new pin number by mail, keep or change the number as you wish, same as UK, by the way if you do E-Savings with NW, your account should be credited on 6th April, as i live in a remote village in NE Thai, i cant help but be impressed by their service,,,,

If nationwide do send outside of the Uk then that is an interesting change in policy as I have never heard of them doing that.

However the Post Office and their mastercard credot card appear to be alot ore overseas friendly than the nationwide. Plus you can put the PO mcard into credit and get fee free withdrawls from ATMS ! Not alot of people know that !

HTH

• 1 month later...

Tafia, I'm in the same boat as Dragonfly94 except that one of my Nationwide cards has already (just) expired and I'd like to get it replaced as a back-up to my one remaining card - I have two FlexAccounts, as it happens. When you say "the address they have on file for you", do you know what they will accept as notification of a change of address - e.g. online message or e-mail etc? I'm now based in Thailand and my UK address is currently being rented out and I suspect that the tenants will not sign for receipt of a replacement card - so it would be great if I can notify Nationwide of a change of address to one in Thailand.

I've been nervous of doing that until I saw that you wrote "I am reliably informed you can live any where in the world and hold NW accounts". My understanding until now has been that this is a grey area and that NW (at best) turn a blind eye to it? Would be great to know that I'm wrong and don't need to worry. :o Finally, do NW send out the replacement card by courier and make a charge for that? I'm not bothered by the cost - just want to know that I'll get it securely............. TIT etc.

Sorry Im so late in replying, have been off line and over to Los . I told NW I was going to retire in Thailand and they said no problem, just let us know your address, I asked about replacement cards and they again said they will be sent to your registered address. I would ask them via email what you need to do, if there is anything I can do this end dont hesitate to get in touch.

I've just applied for a current account with nationwide this morning as I want to access

my money with a better rate of exchange.

Has anyone withdrawn money recently and can tell me the rate of exchange? Is it just a case

of using an ATM, only I've read before that people have handed their cards over to the cashier

in money exchanges and they take the money off that way?

Thanks

I withdrew 700 THB last week from a Thai Farmers ATM just to see what rate I would get. Just checked my account and it appears that I got an exchange rate of 68.56. (700 THB cost me 10.21 GB)

The best rate offered for a cash exchange at the same time was 67.02 if I remember correctly.

Hope that helps

Sorry Im so late in replying, have been off line and over to Los . I told NW I was going to retire in Thailand and they said no problem, just let us know your address, I asked about replacement cards and they again said they will be sent to your registered address. I would ask them via email what you need to do, if there is anything I can do this end dont hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks for the update, Tafia. I'll e-mail them and get them to instruct on what they need. I can run to sending them a signed letter or form if that's what it takes................. :D

I withdrew 700 THB last week from a Thai Farmers ATM just to see what rate I would get. Just checked my account and it appears that I got an exchange rate of 68.56. (700 THB cost me 10.21 GB)

The best rate offered for a cash exchange at the same time was 67.02 if I remember correctly.

Hope that helps

That ties in with my experience over several months of ATM (and, as reported before, a couple of bigger over-the-counter) withdrawals. The rates I have been getting are consistently as good as/better than you generally see elsewhere. It seems like you're just not paying commission anywhere in the process? Of course, it will fluctuate according to what sterling and the baht are doing on the settlement day, but like for like it has been consistently a good rate.

I've just applied for a current account with nationwide this morning as I want to access

my money with a better rate of exchange.

Has anyone withdrawn money recently and can tell me the rate of exchange? Is it just a case

of using an ATM, only I've read before that people have handed their cards over to the cashier

in money exchanges and they take the money off that way?

Thanks

I've only used a bank (Siam Commercial, as it happens) to make these over-the-counter withdrawals from my UK Nationwide account. In that case, it seems to work exactly the same way as when you use the bank's ATM - you're withdrawing in baht and a couple of days later, N/W "repay" the bank whatever the exchange rate at the time of settlement dictates. I have a feeling that it might not be the same going to a bureau de change type of place - so that you would get hit with what they have decided is the exchange rate they want to operate and possibly including extra commission on the transaction?

Thanks for your replies, where can I find the exchange rates that Nationwide use, so I can keep an eye on them

and withdrawl when rates are on the up.

Thanks again

Click on the "Baht Rates" button top right of the ThaiVisa page and you'll get as good a guide as any..........