Can I wire up a wireless router ?

MrMuddle

I've had a router installed. it's wired up, until it comes into one of the bedrooms of the house, then it is wireless.
At certain times of the day, the incoming data falls off to as low as <1 MB download speed, particularly on the laptop downstairs. Can I plug in a cable that will connect the router to the laptops (s), and will that improve the speed / download rate ? I've seen a cable in town, but wanted to check if it will work, before I buy it.
I'm not wanting a huge increase in data flow, just enough so I can watch the football on the TV, via it being linked to a laptop.

Thanks for any help / advice.

On 8/31/2019 at 8:00 AM, Peterw42 said:

As above, yes you can replace wifi with a cable. Something you may want to try first is change the wifi channel, 1mb is very slow and would indicate maybe a conflict with the neighbours wifi (channel congestion) or another 2.4ghz device (cordless phone, doorbell etc).

In my condo block channel 11 is virtually unusable as everyone's router is on that channel, switch to a free channel and its full speed.

Not very likely I don't think. I live in a small village up in the mountains, as far as I know, I'll be the only one for miles around with a router & wi fi!
i've added a photo, to give you some idea of the area, this is the main road through the village.
Never seen a cordless phone or doorbell anywhere near where I live either. Thanks for the reply, though.

SAM_6033 road.JPG

Edited by MrMuddle
added photo and comment

8 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

Not very likely I don't think. I live in a small village up in the mountains, as far as I know, I'll be the only one for miles around with a router & wi fi!
Never seen a cordless phone or doorbell anywhere near where I live either. Thanks for the reply, though.

who else has access to your router.

speeds on wifi are likely to vary unless the channel is congested, and you said it isnt, or alot of people log on and start using your connection.

who is around at the times your speed drops? 

the only other thing i can suggest is that you are on an overcrowded line from the provider.

if speeds drop radically say when school is out or after quitting time everyone in your area has likely come home and logged on killing bandwidth in your area.

this would likely be true of weekends as well.

Edited by metempsychotic

6 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

That begs the question what is the router attached to?  And what speed is it normally?  

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 7:51 AM, Crossy said:

If your router has RJ-45 LAN ports (most do) then you can just run a cable from one of them to your lappie. 1 cable per machine.

If you post the model number of your router or a photo of the connections on the back we can be certain.

Here you are, it's a TOT Router. It's only occasionally the speed drops right down, but that usually coincides with when I want to watch football on the internet !

SAM_6066 router.JPG

On 8/31/2019 at 7:57 AM, tifino said:

just make sure you obtain the correct colour cable!

yellow or blue for example  for your peripheral connections.

Not the red ones  (computer to computer)

I'm pretty sure the cable I've seen was grey, had about 30 metres of cable for 299 Baht.

Yup, those orange sockets are what you need to plug in to.

By the way, the crossed/non-crossed cable is no longer really an issue as most ports can work out for themselves which configuration they need to be.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That begs the question what is the router attached to?  And what speed is it normally?  

It's attached to a TOT box which is for our telephone. It's supposed to be 100Mb down and 50 up, but the best I've had was 70 down. Happy with anything over 20, as long as I can watch the football and the internet is not too slow.
Please see attached photo.

SAM_6068 router 2.JPG

If I use two of the orange sockets, for a laptop upstairs and one downstairs, will my wife still be able to use the wifi for her phone ? (She's a Line addict)  lol

Thanks to everyone who replied, for their help and advice, much appreciated.

Edited by MrMuddle
grammar !!