Why do Thai people ignore Foreigners when they are speaking and begin speaking over them, interrupting them?

ExpatInCM

4 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Maybe my English sound rude. 

Mum and dad don’t teach me that.

is what I see. I have a brain.

Some people are drunk and lazy. Up,to them.

ฉันคิดว่าคุณไม่มีสมอง .... คุณจะคุยกับคนอย่างคุณได้อย่างไร? คุณคิดว่าคุณจะดีกว่า หรือพยายามทำให้ตัวเองดูบนอินเทอร์เน็ต ...

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Maybe my English sound rude. 

Mum and dad don’t teach me that.

is what I see. I have a brain.

Some people are drunk and lazy. Up,to them.

I say I can be friend anyone. If polite person. I don’t care skin, where from.

Ok then...I will revert back to english...

So....all the people working in Homepro are drunk and lazy...?

The "young people" working in 7/11 are drunk and lazy...?

The people working in Makro are drunk and lazy...?

ALL taxi drivers are drunk and lazy...

Almost all Issan women are prostitutes...

Nothing misunderstood about your English at all....nah...

PS: you sure ?? you have a brain ??

Can't say i have ever noticed this particularly, maybe i am unobservant or its not something that i see as an annoyance, or i am just used to it!

As an annoyance the inability of people to keep quiet in meetings is far more of an annoyance from a work perspective. Someone is presenting or talking and there is constant background chatter.... However, i often seem to be the one getting annoyed about it on behalf of the presenter as it does not seem to openly bother them!

12 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Naam, please start to learn technical Thai and you'll find out that it's easier than one might think.

yeah right! because for an old fart of 76 years, with a semi deaf left ear and both ears limited to frequencies below 7kHz who needs subtitles watching movies for even those produced in his mother tongue it's a breeze to learn a tonal language.

when our cook wants to discuss something with me she calls her husband (our gardener) to translate because i hardly understand a single word (big problem hearing consonants) of her high pitched voice.

and for my wife a few meters away me asking "would you like to have kartoffelsalat with your pork chop?" my answer might be, based on her last two words, "i never refuse a blöw jöb my beloved!"  

Edited by Naam
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

My complaint is somewhat different. Turned around a bit.

My Thai partner of 14 years speaks decent English. Several times a week we are out shopping for something. I ask him to translate something for me to the clerk, but he doesn't translate in an interactive way, he just starts a conversation with them, doesn't report what he hears until it's over and I get a short reply. Have. No have. Whatever. 

As this goes on, if I get the impression that it's all gone off the rails, I try to barge in but get ignored by my partner. It's not disrespect, just that he can't switch gears fast enough between Thai and English.

And yes, he and the clerk will interrupt each other to a degree that you would not see in Western cultures between two unacquainted people.  

My Thai missus does exactly the same.

On 9/2/2019 at 7:27 PM, fhickson said:

does anyone know how to say 'shut up' or 'shut your mouth' in thai, or is that not allowed here?

หุบปาก
Hubpāk

...but Mrs BO says it's not very polite ????

Edited by BaanOz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have experienced this over 15 years..... especially about important issues.... ordering food in restaurants, this can only be over come by you learning short key phrases so you know roughly what's going on....and adapt!.....and you know the more your wife/partner has a better understanding of your needs things will get better....I assure you......so "Getting to know each other is the way forward"......a lot of input from both sides...if you are very particular about tastes etc.... Google translate English to Thai.....(I use it for everything.......everywhere except my vegetable /Fruits market.....it cuts out the Inbetweeners!!....if you get my meaning....

A great post!

Please excuse spelling mistakes/Grammar and Misunderstandings!
Best
Hash

What kind of people are you dealing with? I wait my turn and people are always polite. I speak proper Thai and understand how to respect others. I'm older now and don't address younger people as older but I use polite words. I guess if someone tried to interrupt, I tell them in Thai: "Excuse me, but I'm being helped now". Thai respect politeness and will understand that you fully understand. Not a problem. 
Much bigger problem in western countries, in my view.
Agree with this....a true example of about half an hour ago..... when I interacted in Thai there is a better understanding about technical issues about my internet connection problems....

Please excuse spelling mistakes/Grammar and Misunderstandings!
Best
Hash

I speak fluent Thai and this never happens to me. It's probably because the people you are dealing with speak no English. However, depending on what you are asking people normally DO wait and let the other party translate before speaking themselves. That's the whole point of having an interpreter. Maybe your wife is the impatient one?

BTW I have business colleagues/friends/family talk over me (in English of course) all the time. Some people just love hearing their own voice and think their opinions matter more than others. I've rarely encountered this with Asian people, but many westerners love being right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I lived in France I found it very easy to swap between English and French, they are structurally similar. This is not the case with Thai which has a very alien structure, my Thai partner can talk in Thai or English but cannot switch rapidly from one to the other, there is a noticeable pause while she mentally swaps language. In most cultures such a pause is the cue for the other person to resume speaking. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 7:19 PM, Yinn said:

Yawn. I come from Rayong which is diverse population and many immigrants.

Yes i I see about the nazi gang, Donald trump with the wall, brexit to keep immigrant out etc. so wonderful.

Most Thai are very polite to immigrants, that is why we the famous tourist place.

You think Thais not polite to you. I do believe you. Because the same reason you have NO friend.

Yesterday you make “joke” about thai die in the flood. 

You said on another thred you have NO Thai friends. And you live in Thailand. 

The fact that you don’t understand this might be the reflection of your isolated life living in Pattaya with your wife and no friend. (The wife you cheat)

i see you like change what you claim, always try make you sound so good.

Yawn.

Rayong? All the "immigrants" which are not really immigrants are Burmese and Cambodian laborers. With a small number of westerners and Japanese mixed in that you'll only spot at hotels, shopping malls and Koh Samet but rarely on the streets. Very few Indians or Africans though. Hardly very "diverse" compared to America.

Thailand should really become more diverse. We are living in a globalized world after all. National borders will eventually be dissolved, Thailand will have to accept this fact sooner or later.

At this point, Thailand is trying to keep out immigrants and foreigners too - TM30, TM47, TM 28, jobs restricted to Thai nationals (or migrant laborers from Burma, Cambodia and Laos but closed to other foreigners), difficult to get a PR visa or citizenship, dual pricing for foreigners. None of these things exist in America, the land of freedom and opportunity for all. If they did, foreigners would cry "racist" all day long, but it's "business as usual" in Thailand. The wall is not going to keep anyone out, think before you write.

I don't know "Fex" but your immature reaction to him when you clearly know that Thailand is far more racist than most other countries doesn't make you look any better.

13 minutes ago, anterian said:

When I lived in France I found it very easy to swap between English and French, they are structurally similar. This is not the case with Thai which has a very alien structure, my Thai partner can talk in Thai or English but cannot switch rapidly from one to the other, there is a noticeable pause while she mentally swaps language. In most cultures such a pause is the cue for the other person to resume speaking. 

Indeed. Although I presume you didn't speak English very much there as Frenchies normally don't like speaking English (or can't speak it very well) unless someone can't speak their language [well] in which case they have no choice.

When you take a Thai to a foreign country (could even be a neighboring country, with the exception of Laos, where the language is very similar and Thais speak Thai to the locals) you will end up talking over him/her because unless they are well versed in the language of the country you are going to (or English) you'll be the one who will be spoken to.

In other Asian countries, when it becomes clear to the speaker that the person(s) accompanying you aren't locals and can't speak their lingo, they'll only speak to you and ignore your Thai partner/friend.

On 9/1/2019 at 2:12 PM, Centra said:

I don't where this comes from that Thai people are patience and don't get angry. In the 20 years I have travelled to Thailand and now have a Thai relative if they don't get there own way or don't understand some thing they throw fit or sulk. Their are not pushy like Chinese put differently not patience.

That's very rare. Normally they throw a fit afterwards not in front of someone otherwise there is a big loss of face.

Thais really are face conscious and in particular, non-confrontational. The latter is one of the best character traits of Thai people I think. Thais are a lot better in this department than Vietnamese and Burmese even. Though similar to Laotians and Cambodians.

On 9/1/2019 at 10:00 AM, Fex Bluse said:

I think a few of the responses above are correct.

My trick has been to simply ignore them like other Asians do.

It is our Western instincts to be polite and respond when someone talks to/at us. 

But, here in Thailand, a sales person is regarded as 'lower' than you the customer and as such is not entitled to acknowledgement.

Just ignore them until you need something from them, at which time there is a high likelihood they will demonstrate their uselessness.

You talk about westerners being polite then in the next sentence seem to be putting shopworkers at a level to scrapings on your shoe.

I'm sure you demonstrate your undoubted usefulness on a regular basis.

Clearly it goes hand in hand with your humility and equanimity. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Rayong? All the "immigrants" which are not really immigrants are Burmese and Cambodian laborers. With a small number of westerners and Japanese mixed in that you'll only spot at hotels, shopping malls and Koh Samet but rarely on the streets. Very few Indians or Africans though. Hardly very "diverse" compared to America.

Thailand should really become more diverse. We are living in a globalized world after all. National borders will eventually be dissolved, Thailand will have to accept this fact sooner or later.

At this point, Thailand is trying to keep out immigrants and foreigners too - TM30, TM47, TM 28, jobs restricted to Thai nationals (or migrant laborers from Burma, Cambodia and Laos but closed to other foreigners), difficult to get a PR visa or citizenship, dual pricing for foreigners. None of these things exist in America, the land of freedom and opportunity for all. If they did, foreigners would cry "racist" all day long, but it's "business as usual" in Thailand. The wall is not going to keep anyone out, think before you write.

I don't know "Fex" but your immature reaction to him when you clearly know that Thailand is far more racist than most other countries doesn't make you look any better.

America under Trump is hardly welcoming immigrants unless they are WASPs.

Throughout The developed world the various electorates are pushing against immigration because of perceived job losses.

Why should thailand and thais be different?

Because we are white?

On 9/1/2019 at 2:11 PM, 55Jay said:

3 possible scenarios. 

It could be you, approaching all as if they are dumb monkeys, over-explaining simple s**t in your version of pidgen English.  They had you at Hello but you're still babbling, so they ignore you and hope your wife will be more succinct.

Or, they don't speak a lick of English, so the sounds coming out of your mouth sound like the noise you hear coming out of theirs.  But you insist, cause you're a grown man, certainly you can manage shopping for a 7mm screw on your own.  "U Hab Sah-Ka-Roo, 7 Emm Emm Sah-Ka-Roo, peas, you hab?", as their eyes glaze over and they look to your wife for mercy.

Or they are just rude kants, same as you might have back in your country.  Nothing to do with language or Thailand. 

LOL. Emphasizing things in pidgin English is necessary though because if you start speaking proper sentences the staff will act like you said in your second paragraph, which is they understand nothing. I'm talking about emphasizing not over-explaining though.

I have experienced the same but in the other direction - in Myanmar. Was sitting with my Chinese colleagues at a roadside restaurant stop and told in Burmese pidgin English that there were no fruit juices left on the menu. This was the third item that was "no have". The waitress said some really long ass thing in Burmese to my friends thinking they would understand because they look a little more Burmese than I do.

I was like: "what's this noise she is making?" Surely "we don't have any more drinks" doesn't require a 5-minute explanation in Burmese? I told her "they don't understand you" "just give me a pomelo" because she just kept going on and on! My head was starting to hurt listening to her rambling on about something so simple.

3 minutes ago, Truthhurts said:

America under Trump is hardly welcoming immigrants unless they are WASPs.

Throughout The developed world the various electorates are pushing against immigration because of perceived job losses.

Why should thailand and thais be different?

Because we are white?

Oh geez. Do I really need to explain it to you? Under Trump around a million immigrants a year are still making it to the USA and getting citizenship and all.

Thailand has become more xenophobic over the past few years despite there being very few foreigners living here, unless you count all the illegal Burmese and Cambodian laborers. Thailand is way more xenophobic than Trump, despite the latter's rhetoric. The difference is no one cares about Thailand, many people can't even find it on a map. Everyone pays attention to America because it's still the most important economy in the world.

Edited by drbeach
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 1:35 PM, kenk24 said:

Yo, Adjunct, were you on the debating team in academia academia land? Twisting words must be an effective way for you to think you win arguments... I never said it was a baseline and from my experience with upcountry schools as a parent, not a self important English teacher, I don't see that English is emphasized any more than math or science or Chinese... 

Funny, for me, I make friends and have conversations. Though your experience might be due to your attitude... [see below] 

Absolutely ridiculous... I live in an area where Thai is the language - - not many farang around... it increases my enjoyment here to tremendous depths... 

A tactical weapon!!! Geez, no wonder you are so miserable here. Sure, just my assumption but with all the farang here who bash Thai, this is probably the nastiest thing I have ever seen on Thai Visa... or heard anywhere... I use Thai language as a tool to make friends... 

I agree.

In general I prefer using Thai and usually ignore Thais who try to practice their English with me; I haven't got much time or patience for that. Very occasionally some big shot who speaks good English likes to "translate" everything to English (including the smallest little things) even though I'm in a group with his colleagues/friends and I'm speaking ONLY in Thai with everyone else. This happened recently and I think I only said two words to that guy in English because given everyone else was speaking Thai and some of these people could only speak Thai, there was no need for his "translation" services. Also, I received everyone else's business card but not his (this was at the beginning of the conversation the first time I met everyone).

4 hours ago, drbeach said:

Rayong? All the "immigrants" which are not really immigrants are Burmese and Cambodian laborers.

Sorry. Ranong, not Rayong. (Auto spell) 55555

With a small number of westerners and Japanese mixed in that you'll only spot at hotels, shopping malls and Koh Samet but rarely on the streets. Very few Indians or Africans though. Hardly very "diverse" compared to America.

I never go Rayong. 

At this point, Thailand is trying to keep out immigrants and foreigners too - TM30, TM47, TM 28,

More easy than build a wall?

jobs restricted to Thai nationals (or migrant laborers from Burma, Cambodia and Laos but closed to other foreigners), difficult to get a PR visa or citizenship, dual pricing for foreigners. None of these things exist in America, the land of freedom and opportunity for all.

So I can live there right? Or not?

If they did, foreigners would cry "racist" all day long, but it's "business as usual" in Thailand. The wall is not going to keep anyone out, think before you write.

Why they make it?

We not make a wall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Sorry. Ranong, not Rayong. (Auto spell) 55555

I never go Rayong. 

More easy than build a wall?

So I can live there right? Or not?

Why they make it?

We not make a wall.

Yes you do. Along the Malaysian border.

Yes if you're admitted to America you can live and work any job you want (if you have the skills employers are looking for). You won't be asked for a TM30 and you won't be required to pay more to go to a public hospital or a national park just because you're Thai or Asian or a foreigner.

Well learn how to spell properly first - Ranong is full of Burmese, they are practically the only foreign nationality residing there. Hardly the same as multicultural America.

Edited by drbeach
  • Thanks 1