What they don't tell you about clearing off to Vietnam

robsamui

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/1/2019 at 10:12 AM, Yinn said:

So now your life have many problems. But is cheaper. 

Maybe you can find the cheaper worse country and be more happy. Ethiopia is very cheap.

Good luck Rob.

The other thred talk about all the farang in Thailand will leave to go live in Vietnam. 

How many really go?

i think they not like the farang? Because you killed there grandfather, rape the grandmother and bomb there house. Burn the village.

i go there before. Is interesting. 

But....

the people spit INSIDE the restaurant, bar, etc. Yuk.

And not smile. Not “ow jai”

Are you a complete moron or just a misguided nationalistic stooge ?

The gentleman is from the UK which played no part in the Vietnam war.

If you are going to lump all Farangs together then lets do the same for all asians ok.

Do the Chinese hate the Thais because the Japanese raped their women and slaughtered them indiscriminately ?

Of course they dont , but by grouping races together that is exactly the inference you suggest.

For goodness sake educate yourself and engage your brain before writing any more ignorant nonsense.

On 9/1/2019 at 10:32 AM, BestB said:

Very good and honest write up.

Grass always looks greener on the other side.

I loved Jakarta on my first visit but wise enough not to jump to conclusions

Visited a few more times and it would be last place i would want to live.

7-11, ice availability is just totally normal and expected, but in other countries its simply not so. For example no one sells ice in Jakarta. But if some shop does, i was never able to find it.

Vietnam was getting superb feedback from tourists and as it turns out living there is very different to being a tourist

True of many places , I have been a regular visitor to Thailand for 20 years but wouldn't want to be a permanent resident , especially now.

13 hours ago, Kerryd said:

So many foreigners (in Thailand) gripe and moan about having to do the TM.30s and 90 day reports.
Imagine if they had to renew their visa every 90 days !

As I've mentioned in other threads, there is a huge difference between visiting a place and actually living there. The OP's post helps highlight that difference. I've also mentioned that one has to consider what one is willing to put up with (or without) when deciding to live in a foreign country. Obviously there are cheaper countries to live in than Thailand, but the downside(s) may be more than most are willing to accept.

Some more detailed information would be helpful though.
Such as, can foreigners own land there or is it like Thailand ?
How much are the (3 month) Visas (if there is any cost) and what are the requirements (if any) ?

Do they have reporting requirements like Thailand ? 
What are the internet speeds and packages like (price-wise) ? Also, the availablity outside of the major cities.

Many foreigners love their "footie" (or other English language programming such as news and movies), what are the TV services like ? (Cost and availability).

One thing I hated about Cambodia was the noise, especially for wedding ceremonies where they blast the music as loud as possible ALL DAY LONG. Frik - it seemed every village and town we went through had at least one wedding happening everyday ! That alone is enough to for me to never want to move there.
It's already been mentioned about the constant honking in Vietnam. (I noticed India was like that as well - people would start honking the moment they saw another vehicle, even if it was on the other side of a divided, well lit, 4 lane highway at 2 in the morning !)
What about other noise such as weddings, blaring announcements on loudspeakers, bars/karaokes blasting music until the wee hours, etc.

The availabilty of foreign foods would be an issue for some, especially if living away from the larger cities. Not much different from Thailand in that case, except that Thailand seems to have a 7/11 or Family Mart (or both) on almost every city block or in every village of more than a thousand people (and it's pretty easy to get stuff delivered if ordering online). Of course, that would be the more expensive option which would rule it out for those seeking greener "cheaper" pastures. Again, it depends on what a person is willing to give up in exchange for a cheaper cost of living.

Medical clinics and healthcare would also be a consideration (for some of us). It's obvious that a lot of foreigners in Thailand can't afford Health Insurance (if they can't afford to meet the financial requirements and are using agents to get around that, I seriously doubt they are splashing out for health insurance either). Those people wouldn't care about such matters in a place like Vietnam either, but others might.

Years ago (almost 25 years ago now, when I was still in the Army) I was trying to find a place I might like to retire to one day. I made a list of some countries in SE Asia, Central and South America that might be suitable.

I never even considered Vietnam (or Laos), mainly because of their communist governments. Other places have shaky governments as well but I've never trusted a communist government and certainly wouldn't want to live under one. Cambodia was shaky as well back then (the UN had a peacekeeping mission there back in '93 at the same time I was on a peacekeeping mission in Croatia). 
It seemed to be the common thread amongst all the "cheaper" retirement destinations - shady governments that could crumble (or go rogue) in an instant. The places with seemingly more stable governments (like Belize and Costa Rica) were also the more expensive options.

All that being said, it is nice to hear from people that actually live in a place (as opposed to just visiting it for a weekend) as it can be a real eye opener, especially for all those "That's the final straw ! I'm leaving Thailand and moving to (wherever) because (wherever) is so much better then here !" people. (Not that it'll stop them from saying that. Might make a few of them change their supposed destination to a different greener cheaper destination though !)

I dont see any difference between a communist dictatorship and a right wing military dictatorship.

Most of us in the west baulk at control of citizens , censorship , propaganda and threadbare respect of human rights.

17 hours ago, sanemax said:

You could have a look online to see Vietnamese property rent availability , but condos /hotels/accommodation is about 1/3 rd  more than in Thailand , (Thai prices away from the tourist areas, that is )  

Totally disagree, apartments $3-400 easy, as far as hotels go, far cheaper in Vietnam, I paid $17 Canadian. Nice place, and have rented all over Vietnam,I can name places where it was the opposite, 1/3 less than Thailand, for same same.

can u tell me where and when you stayed in these high priced places?

12 hours ago, Truthhurts said:

Good report. 

Must say I am bewildered.

I read on here many times that thailand was ruined/finished etc and that anywhere else was better.

Just goes to show eh.

Grass, greener etc etc

Some think Thailand is hell now , some insist it is paradise , only a fool believes in either extreme.

Your post is so wrong on many things I don't even want to waste my time replying

Crime? Possibly as anywhere else, but I've never seen any - and I spend about 50:50 time between Thailand and Vietnam.

Bank notes insane? Seems like you can't find any real issues

ATM maximum withdrawal of 2 million and large fees?

So what about HSBC which gives you 8 million and many cards (including Revolut) aren't charged fees

Citibank 10 million limit - again free for any worldwide Citibank cards

ANZ - 10 million limit

MB Bank - 5 million limit and not charging fees to many overseas cards

Shopping - no 711 on every corner? Oh my god must be end of the world. What 711 has that Circle-K or Vinmart don't? Man, Vinmart usually even stocks meats and vegetables. Why not doing big shopping at Big C anyway?

Did you forget about the deliveries services that cost usually 0 THB under 3 or 5 kilometres such as www.now.vn? And if you are charged fee it's 20-40 THB. Delivery time usually under 30 minutes.

Housing (condo or house) is more expensive - yes, but that's about the only thing that is more expensive than Thailand. Anyway hotels are cheaper for the same quality.

Crazy driving? Yep, but they won't kill you like Thais. Or you forgot which streets are the deadliest in the world? It ain't Viets streets.

59 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Are you a complete moron or just a misguided nationalistic stooge ?

The gentleman is from the UK which played no part in the Vietnam war.

If you are going to lump all Farangs together then lets do the same for all asians ok.

You go Hanoi before? I go already.

Go to Hanoi war museum. Not only the Vietnam War is the (big) problem.

From 1954 -1975 the French do really bad thing. So cruel. Really. Unbelievable.

We also go the Hanoi food tour with the young Vietnam guide. He say he not like farang.

Sorry you not like hear about that. But is true.

So that my experience. What about you?

59 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

For goodness sake educate yourself and engage your brain before writing any more ignorant nonsense.

I did.

You know about what the French do there? Or not?

So terrible. Really.

17 minutes ago, Yinn said:

You go Hanoi before? I go already.

Go to Hanoi war museum. Not only the Vietnam War is the (big) problem.

From 1954 -1975 the French do really bad thing. So cruel. Really. Unbelievable.

We also go the Hanoi food tour with the young Vietnam guide. He say he not like farang.

Sorry you not like hear about that. But is true.

So that my experience. What about you?

I did.

You know about what the French do there? Or not?

So terrible. Really.

When the tour guide said he didn't like "farang" did you do the proper thing and say that you don't approve of racism. If not, why not? Being silent is being complicit. 

1 hour ago, Ron jeremy said:

Totally disagree, apartments $3-400 easy, as far as hotels go, far cheaper in Vietnam, I paid $17 Canadian. Nice place, and have rented all over Vietnam,I can name places where it was the opposite, 1/3 less than Thailand, for same same.

can u tell me where and when you stayed in these high priced places?

I didnt say that they were high priced , generally though , you can get a room in most places in Thailand starting at 300 Baht , I found that in Danang , the starting price was about 500 Baht and also Condos in Danang start at about 9000 Baht , whilst in Thailand in most cities the starting price is 5000 Baht .

(These are rough general figures , no need to state places that the higher or lower priced )

On 9/1/2019 at 11:34 AM, sfokevin said:

Thanks for the report! Sounds like Thailand 30 years ago in its golden years...

No comparison. Vietnam is not as much fun as Thailand now and certainly not 30 years ago. Not much interaction between Vietnamese and foreigners. Ease of travel better in Thailand. Hanoi nightlife closes at 10 30. Maybe a few clubs compared to 100s in BKK. Lots of museums and art galleries in Hanoi. Nice surrounding countryside. Traffic a millions time worse than Thailand. No girls effectively except for possible marriage. I found it very touristy and structured. Saigon has fun, nightlife, a good eclectic mix of travelers and tourists, good food but again little interaction with locals. Not many clubs, a few but expensive. No GGBs, no P4P a few massage places but not a bit like Thailand 30 years ago because of the abscence of girly scene. Nowhere is  like Thailand 30 years ago except Thailand now. Vietnam is worthwhile  for a visit as a tourist but its a bit dull to live.

On 9/1/2019 at 9:05 AM, robsamui said:

Actually - it's not! The info above relates to the pitfalls of people coming to live here, and if that isn't you, then you'll find it boring.

I'm in Nha Trang, which has a climate the same as Koh Samui. The central part of the city is crammed full of different nationalities, with little Viet cafes side-by-side with nightclubs and Aussie pubs and market stalls, the streets are tree-lined and hung with fairy lights, a Grab motorbike costs 50 baht to go 6 Km across town, there are events and displays happening frequently . . . the only thing I miss are bars on the beach. Apart from that it's fun - and it's permanently affordable!

That sounds fun. Is there a girly scene?

On 9/1/2019 at 10:12 AM, Yinn said:

So now your life have many problems. But is cheaper. 

Maybe you can find the cheaper worse country and be more happy. Ethiopia is very cheap.

Good luck Rob.

The other thred talk about all the farang in Thailand will leave to go live in Vietnam. 

How many really go?

i think they not like the farang? Because you killed there grandfather, rape the grandmother and bomb there house. Burn the village.

i go there before. Is interesting. 

But....

the people spit INSIDE the restaurant, bar, etc. Yuk.

And not smile. Not “ow jai”

Interesting comment about Ethiopia. It has a burgeoning economy, great music, clubs and bars, interesting architecture,  deep culture, world heritage sites and some of the most beautiful women in the world. But for beaches on top.of the above I would look at The Gambia or Senegal. I found in Vietnam the older generation were more anti American but the Younger generation less so. They both knew and admired the USA anti war protesters. Of course there views of Europeans were selective they seemed to like the British who did not fight the Vietnam war but did spend years thrashing the French which the Vietnamese approved of.

On 9/1/2019 at 4:05 AM, robsamui said:

Actually - it's not! The info above relates to the pitfalls of people coming to live here, and if that isn't you, then you'll find it boring.

I'm in Nha Trang, which has a climate the same as Koh Samui. The central part of the city is crammed full of different nationalities, with little Viet cafes side-by-side with nightclubs and Aussie pubs and market stalls, the streets are tree-lined and hung with fairy lights, a Grab motorbike costs 50 baht to go 6 Km across town, there are events and displays happening frequently . . . the only thing I miss are bars on the beach. Apart from that it's fun - and it's permanently affordable!

Small world - my wife's long-lost ( for maybe 40+ years) older sister lives in Nha Trang.  My wife has visited there and the sister has visited Thailand once or twice (and even learned passable simple Thai). One time I had a video chat with the sister. The two of us managed a short conversation in Thai.  I think she spoke better than I did, 555.

My wife flanked by 2 of 3 sisters (pic in Vietnam):

image.png.8ee49ec72d6ba2915075a80aea6fe2d1.png

On 9/1/2019 at 5:12 AM, Yinn said:

... Maybe you can find the cheaper worse country and be more happy. Ethiopia is very cheap. ...

When I joined the U.S. Peace Corps in 1977, I was going to go to Ethiopia.  Then they decided to have some kind of war.  So then I had a choice of Thailand or Colombia.  I chose Thailand.

I always said that if I chose Colombia, I'd either be rich (from drug trade), or dead.  555 

On 9/1/2019 at 8:20 PM, sanemax said:

Lets not forget , Vietnam has also been at war with China , Cambodia , Japan and Laos in the last 100 years

Vietnam's the only country to have been victorious in 3 wars against 3 permanent members of the UN Security Council.

17 hours ago, malibukid said:

i have found the people in Vietnam to be very friendly and will go out of their way to give directions.  young people are anxious to practice English with you as well.  of course excellent French, Italian restaurants, bakeries in the French tradition.  hotels in the back streets are very quiet.  the woman are stunners and engaging . 

Very true!  While I'm there people just approach me when I'm sitting

on the bench and don't want to sell anything, just practice English.
This never happens to me in Thailand.

The sellers in their Convenience store are smiling and friendly
Again .. a rarity in Thailand.

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

When the tour guide said he didn't like "farang" did you do the proper thing and say that you don't approve of racism. If not, why not? Being silent is being complicit. 

Up to him.

They kill his family, but you worry about say that?

9 hours ago, sanemax said:

I didnt say that they were high priced , generally though , you can get a room in most places in Thailand starting at 300 Baht , I found that in Danang , the starting price was about 500 Baht and also Condos in Danang start at about 9000 Baht , whilst in Thailand in most cities the starting price is 5000 Baht .

(These are rough general figures , no need to state places that the higher or lower priced )

I have stayed in Thai rooms for 300 baht, you get what you pay for, nothing close to what I had in nam. 

And again, 5000 baht condo in Thailand??????? Yes maybe they can be had,but again, no thanks!  

couldnt see getting much for $5 k in a tourist area.

ive seen some of these places people live. 

But to each their own.

15 hours ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

I'm not an expert on Thais but her use of "sure" seems like a Thai person to me.

Sure! 

Is thai word also. But copy from English. Sure!

15 hours ago, griffon2011 said:

TPI-If you look closely at the language in the posts by the person you are referring to it becomes obvious that they are not who they portray themselves to be.  When was the last time you heard a Thai or any Asian say "yuk" which is mainly an American slang word for disgust.

Thai can not learn slang? Why not?

Or how many Thais would even know what Ethiopia was let alone that it was synonymous with abject poverty.  

Most thais know about that. 

We have morning news, lunchtime news, evening news and night news. And documenry. 

There are lots of other subtle indicators in the sentence structure, sort of like when you see a beautiful woman and something seems wrong but you just can't put your finger on it. Could be a ladyboy!  Sad to see a useful forum abused like this for whatever reason. 

I am not a ladyboy. 

But you are impolite.

And not clever. You should watch the news to learn.

Archived