What they don't tell you about clearing off to Vietnam

robsamui

1 hour ago, TPI said:

Noi Yinn, I can see you're angry at people talking about leaving the LOS but think of it this way...if they leave you wont have to look at them any more and you can be happy?

Yes, Vietnam the wonderful place. Same the heaven. 

Go quickly. 5555555

ps. I like all people if they polite.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, CHiangMaiMuu said:

I served in the war in Vietnam, in 1969-1970, and I lived there for about 4 months altogether this year.

And I have to say YOU ARE A GODDAMN LIAR.

First place, people in Vietnam never did believe that trash that the communists said about the Americans in Vietnam; the common people had to go through the years of hell when the Viet Cong came in the night to their villages and took their rice and raped their daughters and took their sons to train to be savage killers. In some parts of the country, in Quang Nam province, many of the local people were refugees from North Vietnam who had left their homes to get away from the communists. They looked to "us" - Marines in the C.U.P.P.  units along side the South Vietnamese Regional Forces - to protect them from the guerillas. I used to go through the village with the Navy Corpsman (like a nurse) to translate for him, since I had gone to the 3-month Vietnamese language course in the States. The Corpsman treated the villagers illnesses as best he could. The Vietcong raped them and beat their children.

Second place,  even if you don't believe that, you are 100% wrong in what you say about the Vietnamese people's attitude to farangs. The people that I asked in the spring of this year in Vietnam said that the communists lied about the Americans. My young Vietnamese friend in Quy Nhon, whom I hired as a language teacher and guide, told me her mother told her the Americans were good to her. She worked on an Army base back then and, even after the brain-washing they did on her she still says - quietly - that the communists lied. My friend's older brother down in Saigon also said the same thing about the Viet Cong. He is making it as businessman, in spite of the oppression by the communists some people are making it because they are naturally entrepreneurs, resourceful and courageous. And they have to remain quiet or they die. And they want American advisors and tourists and investor.

People like you - you remind of the American Air Force veteran - who sat out the war in England and also thinks the Americans "lost" in Vietnam - you think that by not being there and by listening to propaganda 

put out by cowards who sent young people out to murder other people you are experts on the issue. Even the facts that they took out 60,000 of our boys and we killed over a million of them does not impinge on your mind.

The people in South Vietnam do not hate us. The people who work for the government is Vietnam have a more positive attitude to us that the Thai government. Clearly that is shown by the fact that the government makes it easier for farangs to move to Vietnam and move around in Vietnam without nonsensical restrictions. 

And they are able to write the English language better than you.

I think it's just not natural that americans walk around there having a good time. It's up to the Vietnamese of course and their Buddhist way of thinking/forgiving will give you some credit. So Kudoos for the Vietnamese but Americans should be more wise and more ASHAMED.

Stay away!!!! for at least a few centuries ...

14 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

After about six months, I thought I was becoming immune to the sound of horns. But it didn't last. Every day, there will be several incidents of guys leaning on the horn all the way down the street or an intercity bus with its over-amped horn or multi-tone horn that pierces your spinal nervous system. During which you issue a stream of colourful language or raise an inconspicuous middle finger. Or you can be trapped in a taxi or Saigon-bound limo van while the driver holds his left hand on the horn button the entire route. Bangkok is an oasis of quiet after this.

Yes , I found that I just couldnt think straight .

My thought process was continually interrupted by the beeps.

Beeps occurred about every 1-4 seconds and I found if difficult to think about any one thing for more than 1-4 seconds

6 minutes ago, Jack Mountain said:

I think it's just not natural that americans walk around there having a good time. It's up to the Vietnamese of course and their Buddhist way of thinking/forgiving will give you some credit. So Kudoos for the Vietnamese but Americans should be more wise and more ASHAMED.

Stay away!!!! for at least a few centuries ...

You're entitled to your own opinion, but the Vietnamese have moved on. The Viets think of now and the future. All the young people only want to have a good and productive life. I'm not American or Australian, both participants in the war. Many vets have returned to VN to visit and live there. Both "sides" live happily together. 

Good post. I find Viets to be boorish, compared to Thai people. No sabai sabai mild mannered there. Closer to Chinese people in their behavior/body language. Still, Vietnam has many pros as compared to Thailand. The ease of the visa and cheaper cost of living are the 2 main things that makes it attractive imo. 

18 hours ago, Yinn said:

I go to Hanoi, in the north. War museum. 

They remember.

They also don’t like the French people. Very cruel.

They not have good experience with farang.

Sorry to disappoint, but back in 1989 when I was involved in UNHCR operations, there were people from many "farang" countries working happily and productively with large teams of Vietnamese staff and the only true hatred from the Vietnamese was against the condescending, arrogant Thais, to the extent we had to stop involving staff from Bangkok.

2 hours ago, phkauf said:

Just a couple of thoughts based on my Vietnam experience (more than 20 trips). 

- I find the people to be as friendly as Thais, maybe even more so. I travel alone and very often are asked to join a group at a bar or dinner - one newlywed couple I shared a table with in Da Nang even wanted to pay for my dinner! 

- Shopping while not as ubiquitous as Thailand, is still good. They have Big C and other big chains. While not a 7-11 every 100 meters, there's Family, Circle K and many local options. Plus they don't have the extortionate retail monopolies as in Thailand, so prices are more reasonable.

- Crime has never been an issue for me (again more than 20 visits) but I am aware of the various tourist related scams and don't do stupid stuff. In fact, violent crime against foreigners is almost zero due to severe penalties.

- Food is amazing, as good as Thai food. Coffee is great, especially the better quality stuff. Beer is cheap as can be - same price as water and Coke in most places. No stupid taxes and restrictions to protect local billionaires as in Thailand.

- Scenery is better than Thailand, although Thai beaches overall are slightly better.

- If you make an effort to speak their language (as difficult as Thai, especially with different regional dialects) and learn their customs, you will be so much the better. Amazing how no turns to yes, with a little effort on your part.

Otherwise thanks for the hints about shipping stuff and your experiences. I am thinking of making a move to Da Nang if I do leave BKK. 

Wife  just  returned,  loved it,  had a  great  time.

4.jpg

5.1.jpg

line_144743999076628-web.jpg

21 hours ago, robsamui said:

Actually - it's not! The info above relates to the pitfalls of people coming to live here, and if that isn't you, then you'll find it boring.

I'm in Nha Trang, which has a climate the same as Koh Samui. The central part of the city is crammed full of different nationalities, with little Viet cafes side-by-side with nightclubs and Aussie pubs and market stalls, the streets are tree-lined and hung with fairy lights, a Grab motorbike costs 50 baht to go 6 Km across town, there are events and displays happening frequently . . . the only thing I miss are bars on the beach. Apart from that it's fun - and it's permanently affordable!

Thanks for your, as always excellent, info. I'm sorry to learn that you have left Samui. I hope you'll enjoy a good life in Nha Trang.

21 hours ago, robsamui said:

There are no 7-11’s in Vietnam!

Complete nonsense. There are three within walking distance of the accommodation I regularly use in Saigon, plus two Korean interpretations of a convenience store. Walking distance = a leisurely ten minute stroll.

Concur with most of the rest of your post. 

3 hours ago, phkauf said:

Just a couple of thoughts based on my Vietnam experience (more than 20 trips). 

- I find the people to be as friendly as Thais, maybe even more so. I travel alone and very often are asked to join a group at a bar or dinner - one newlywed couple I shared a table with in Da Nang even wanted to pay for my dinner! 

- Shopping while not as ubiquitous as Thailand, is still good. They have Big C and other big chains. While not a 7-11 every 100 meters, there's Family, Circle K and many local options. Plus they don't have the extortionate retail monopolies as in Thailand, so prices are more reasonable.

- Crime has never been an issue for me (again more than 20 visits) but I am aware of the various tourist related scams and don't do stupid stuff. In fact, violent crime against foreigners is almost zero due to severe penalties.

- Food is amazing, as good as Thai food. Coffee is great, especially the better quality stuff. Beer is cheap as can be - same price as water and Coke in most places. No stupid taxes and restrictions to protect local billionaires as in Thailand.

- Scenery is better than Thailand, although Thai beaches overall are slightly better.

- If you make an effort to speak their language (as difficult as Thai, especially with different regional dialects) and learn their customs, you will be so much the better. Amazing how no turns to yes, with a little effort on your part.

Otherwise thanks for the hints about shipping stuff and your experiences. I am thinking of making a move to Da Nang if I do leave BKK. 

Many thanks for this - lots of new info for me. Great stuff!

29 minutes ago, BaiLao said:

Complete nonsense. There are three within walking distance of the accommodation I regularly use in Saigon, plus two Korean interpretations of a convenience store. Walking distance = a leisurely ten minute stroll.

Concur with most of the rest of your post. 

TBF , the first 7/11 in Vietnam opened last year

WOWW so much disinformation in 1 post.....

Drivers license only valid for the duration of the visa....NOPE it's valid for the duration of your HOME COUNTRIES license. IN my case my bike license was valid for 8 years!!!

Hospitals are WAY WAY WAY Cheaper then Thailand, My blood tests in vietnam are about 1/8th of the cost they are in thailand. MRI is 1/5 the cost of thailand and so on so on.

I lived and travelled all over vietnam by motrobike. Have lived in hcmc for 18 months never had my motorbike stolen, never locked it up, never had my phone stolen and never even saw anyone have anything stolen....Yet when I lived in Kuala lumpur I saw many bags being snatched by guys on motorbikes, In thailand again I have never seen anyone get anything stolen. The vietnamese people are extremely nice and always smiling to me especially when you get out into the local towns, the whole town came out just to meet me!

Places for rent, Use the big 2 rental websites, both in vietnamese but easily translated with google..a room is a room and a house is a house!!

ATM's Learn to use ANZ or Commbank atm's both have 10 million or 20million transactions!!

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Yes, Vietnam the wonderful place. Same the heaven. 

Go quickly. 5555555

ps. I like all people if they polite.

Interestingly you seem to be defensive when the OP shares his thoughts on his move from Thailand to Vietnam, even though his motivation to do so was that Thailand had become unaffordable for him.

But you can be sure that there will be many others like him for all sorts of other reasons, the main one being the Thai government's deliberate policy to make it uncomfortable as possible for foreigners to stay in Thailand. Therefore, Cambodia, Vietnam, The Philippines and other will benefit from the influx of retirees who will spend there their pensions.

I like Hanoi. But what keeps me away from Vietnam is Dioxin in the food from the Agent Orange the US army used there and that you have to pay taxes on your worldwide income. This would make my stay there not so cheap anymore. For the same reason I don't want to go back to Europe. There are nice places too. 

Most of the population was born after the War ended, consequently the young have no interest in that history......a bit like talking about WWI to us.

i agree the money is confusing...I just handed it to my Thai wife and she breezed through it.

I stayed in some nice hotels especially in DaNang, and I wondered if the poster had tried the option of living in a hotel? Some said they also had apts. I would love to have their delightful breakfasts each day.....superb food with all the juices and freshly made croissants. 

I have worked briefly in Hanoi, Saigon, DaNang, and Hue in the early 2000's and found the people friendly,quick to smile, and more people speaking English than here.

Very good report with some great details. Thank you.

As one who is very seriously looking at plan B, this is excellent information from Robsamui & Kaoboi Bebobp. I especially liked the advice about moving & shipping personal effects.

It hasn't put me off Vietnam but where to locate to is still in the undecided category. Seems like spending a week travelling around to assess the various options is fairly obligatory before deciding on a move.

i have found the people in Vietnam to be very friendly and will go out of their way to give directions.  young people are anxious to practice English with you as well.  of course excellent French, Italian restaurants, bakeries in the French tradition.  hotels in the back streets are very quiet.  the woman are stunners and engaging . 

8 hours ago, TPI said:

Noi Yinn, I can see you're angry at people talking about leaving the LOS but think of it this way...if they leave you wont have to look at them any more and you can be happy?

TPI-If you look closely at the language in the posts by the person you are referring to it becomes obvious that they are not who they portray themselves to be.  When was the last time you heard a Thai or any Asian say "yuk" which is mainly an American slang word for disgust.  Or how many Thais would even know what Ethiopia was let alone that it was synonymous with abject poverty.  There are lots of other subtle indicators in the sentence structure, sort of like when you see a beautiful woman and something seems wrong but you just can't put your finger on it. Could be a ladyboy!  Sad to see a useful forum abused like this for whatever reason. 

4 minutes ago, griffon2011 said:

TPI-If you look closely at the language in the posts by the person you are referring to it becomes obvious that they are not who they portray themselves to be.  When was the last time you heard a Thai or any Asian say "yuk" which is mainly an American slang word for disgust.  Or how many Thais would even know what Ethiopia was let alone that it was synonymous with abject poverty.  There are lots of other subtle indicators in the sentence structure, sort of like when you see a beautiful woman and something seems wrong but you just can't put your finger on it. Could be a ladyboy!  Sad to see a useful forum abused like this for whatever reason. 

I'm not an expert on Thais but her use of "sure" seems like a Thai person to me.

Archived