Not One But Two Visas Issued...

Searched, but could not unearth an answer to this...

I live in Los Angeles (under 50, single, etc) and desired a visa for a 9 month holiday. LA's consulate only offers 2 Tourist Visas so I looked elsewhere sending emails and voicemails to various consulates. I obtained a 3 entry (maximum they would grant) Tourist Visa from an outside state as they would not issue a Non-Immigrant. A week after I received my passport from the first consulate another cities consulate calls (10 days after I left my message :o ) and the results of the conversation are that they will issue the non-imm visa. I send in my passport and receive the NON-Imm visa :D .

Now I have the original Tourist Visa in addition to my Non-Imm visa in my passport. Is this kosher? Is there an issue about having two different valid visas in the passport from different consulates? Should I take any actions?

I live in Los Angeles (under 50, single, etc) and desired a visa for a 9 month holiday. LA's consulate only offers 2 Tourist Visas so I looked elsewhere sending emails and voicemails to various consulates. I obtained a 3 entry (maximum they would grant) Tourist Visa from an outside state as they would not issue a Non-Immigrant. A week after I received my passport from the first consulate another cities consulate calls (10 days after I left my message :o ) and the results of the conversation are that they will issue the non-imm visa. I send in my passport and receive the NON-Imm visa :D .

Now I have the original Tourist Visa in addition to my Non-Imm visa in my passport. Is this kosher? Is there an issue about having two different valid visas in the passport from different consulates? Should I take any actions?

Upon entry in Thailand I would point it out to the immigration officer and ask him to 'void' the TV and use the Non-Im O if that os what you want to do. You would then get 90 days stay stamp

When you fill in the arrival card make sure you put the number of the visa you wish to use in the 'visa number' box, open the passport at the visa page to help in avoiding confusion.

I'm not sure if you should ask the immigration chap to void the TV. That means you'll have a nice big 'VOID' or 'CANCELLED' stamp in your passport, not likely to be an issue for Thailand but other countries may use it as an excuse to deny you a visa :o

BTW, with careful planning and judicious use of extensions and border runs your triple entry TV is good for almost 9 months in the Kingdom anyway, easier with the non-imm. though :D

I had discussed with the Los Angeles Consulate last month the following.:

I was picking up a 1 YR Multiple Entry O visa, when I was notified that I would need to go to BKK in May on Business, Can I have both a B and O valid at the same time in my passport, and just note which reason I am traveling to Thailand...

Answer: NO If you now apply for a B visa, we will cancel the O visa even if you have not yet used it. (No refund either).

I had discussed with the Los Angeles Consulate last month the following.:

I was picking up a 1 YR Multiple Entry O visa, when I was notified that I would need to go to BKK in May on Business, Can I have both a B and O valid at the same time in my passport, and just note which reason I am traveling to Thailand...

Answer: NO If you now apply for a B visa, we will cancel the O visa even if you have not yet used it. (No refund either).

I note that they conveniently 'forgot' to tell you that your 'o' is just fine for business purposes, you can get a work permit etc against it :o

Thank you all for the replies. I was originally worried that two visas would trigger an undesired response from immigration.

Crossy good reminder on filling the correct visa number on the entry form. I'll paperclip the passport to the correct visa page.

When you fill in the arrival card make sure you put the number of the visa you wish to use in the 'visa number' box, open the passport at the visa page to help in avoiding confusion.

I'm not sure if you should ask the immigration chap to void the TV. That means you'll have a nice big 'VOID' or 'CANCELLED' stamp in your passport, not likely to be an issue for Thailand but other countries may use it as an excuse to deny you a visa :o

BTW, with careful planning and judicious use of extensions and border runs your triple entry TV is good for almost 9 months in the Kingdom anyway, easier with the non-imm. though :D

Hello all, Sorry to ask this probably now-sickeningly boring question,but If someone would be

so kind as to help,I'd really appreciate it. I'm American,and lived for about 14 months in LOS last year

on a one year multi type O.Well,I flew back to California,and tried for another...no luck...SAME DENVER CONSULATE...they said they were not giving them out"as easily anymore"...I'm under 50,unmarried,and no

biz/condo/giant bank acct. in Thailand...so I settled for a triple entry tourist visa,and was told that when I landed

at Soyouwannabehere airport I could ask the immigration for three extensions right there in addition. I asked,the glum looking lady answered "60 days sir"...and stamped something on the opposite page of the visa that says "TR" and a date of two months(from now).Is THIS what they meant by extension?...I JUST arrived a few days ago(March23, 07),and my 3-entry expires on Sep.11 07 ?? how many days can I squeeze out of this visa?

Sorry for the question,and thanks,

Mel

WOW!! Good for you, now just hope the local Immigration folk in Thailand will not hassle you, remember this is Thailand(TIT). If they do they should do it with a smile most have now finish a two weeks course on how to be polite to farang guess.(Really) :D

Hello all, Sorry to ask this probably now-sickeningly boring question,but If someone would be

so kind as to help,I'd really appreciate it. I'm American,and lived for about 14 months in LOS last year

on a one year multi type O.Well,I flew back to California,and tried for another...no luck...SAME DENVER CONSULATE...they said they were not giving them out"as easily anymore"...I'm under 50,unmarried,and no

biz/condo/giant bank acct. in Thailand...so I settled for a triple entry tourist visa,and was told that when I landed

at Soyouwannabehere airport I could ask the immigration for three extensions right there in addition. I asked,the glum looking lady answered "60 days sir"...and stamped something on the opposite page of the visa that says "TR" and a date of two months(from now).Is THIS what they meant by extension?...I JUST arrived a few days ago(March23, 07),and my 3-entry expires on Sep.11 07 ?? how many days can I squeeze out of this visa?

Mel

When you get near the end of your permitted 60 days visit immigration with 1,900 baht and photos to obtain an additional 30 days. You can do that with each entery of 60 days. The 30 days will start at the end of your current 60 day stay.

Yes, make sure you open the page to the correct visa and point it out to him/her. When they hand it back to you immediately check it.

2 out of my last 3 visits I was initially given 30 day stamps when I had a non imm visa clearly visible on the right hand side page coupled with visa no.written on arrival card. This was due to immigration lady chit chatting with her friend. A pattern is begining to appear as both errors were made by females and the correct stamp by a male. :o

In answer to the OPs question I've entered on a non imm visa when I've had a valid tourist visa. Just point out to them that you want to use the non imm and its fine. They didnt worry about caneling the tourist visa.

Mel

When you get near the end of your permitted 60 days visit immigration with 1,900 baht and photos to obtain an additional 30 days. You can do that with each entery of 60 days. The 30 days will start at the end of your current 60 day stay.

Cheers Lopburi

Mel

Thanks Lopburi3...one more quick question? How many border runs must I make on the triple entry using extensions? Sorry,it's just I guess I was used to the good ol non imm.type O where it was simple (every 3 months) Appreciate it mak maak.

For max usage you would do 60 + 30 exit/return 60 + 2x exit/return 60 + 30.

The 2x (twenty plus days) is because your visa is only valid six months so you need to make the second run prior to it expiring.