Police Crackdown on Licenses

MysteryX

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

IDPs are valid for 12 months

Only for three months if first class insurance is obtained. Time starts upon entry to Thailand so I believe. No Thai license after 3 months negates your insurance and in Thailand I'd say that'd be a silly thing to let happen.

1 hour ago, MysteryX said:

Look. From a purely technical perspective, maybe I'm in an illegal situation by not having the translation booklet. But the way the police is collecting cash is 100% illegal. Need to call the military to crack down on corrupt police practices?

"But the way the police is collecting cash is 100% illegal".

If you mean that some police ask for reduced 'contributions' to avoid your getting an official ticket for the offences you're committing there is an answer to that, and it doesn't involve calling the military.  All you have to do is tell them that you have no cash on you and request a ticket, that way you can pay at the police station and you do not have to bribe them while you're on the roads illegally.

Complete BS, they have been doing this for years now, you just didn't notice before.
Misleading title as well, it is about nothing else than driving license and obviously having insurance on the motorbike.

You can pay at the station if you want a local price, they will keep your license, just wait a few days until paying.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

All you have to do is tell them that you have no cash on you and request a ticket, that way you can pay at the police station and you do not have to bribe them while you're on the roads illegally.

Sound advice.

4 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

It applies to all of Thailand. Not just isolated to CM.

Then it is still old news, this is being enforced in many places around TH for years now. 
Aside of that in CM, they switch locations opposite Maya towards doi suthep, thapae gate inside moat + sometimes outside moat as of construction.
Inside moat before uturn to kad sun kaew, before kad sun kaew, before spicy. And really sometimes inside moat corner at the park.
Plus ring road central festival, both sides, near traffic lights / main road to airport from old town / main road to Mae Rim.

I play a game avoiding them since years, only get caught 3 times a year average.

Edited by tabarin

3 hours ago, MysteryX said:

Translated my Canadian driving license for 800 baht. However, can't use it to get a scooter license in Thailand!

Aren't Canadian licences issued in English?

Why can't you use it to get a bike licence issued at the same time as your Thai car licence when you take the foreign licence holder's test here, as many people do?

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

You're also giving Canadians a bad name with your idiotic statements.. 

I was wondering aboot when someone would stick up for Canadians!

1 hour ago, MysteryX said:

2. I'm looking for solutions, not for excuses or trolling.

You have demonstrated plenty of excuses, why should you be the only one?

You have already been told what to do. These are your options:

1. Get the correct license from your home country or get the correct Thai license to drive the vehicle you want.

2. Stop driving a vehicle you are not licensed or skilled to operate. Use a vehicle you are licensed to operate or public transport.

3. Continue to operate a vehicle you are not licensed or skilled to operate. You need only to continue to face the consequences. And pray to your deity of choice that you don't end up in a vehicle collision. On the other hand, hanging around in Klong Prem while it all gets sorted will give you plenty of time for Tai Chi and there will be no need for visa runs. That's a tick in most boxes right there.

Edited by Farangwithaplan
added
  • Like 2

To get your license in CM: Residence certificate (visa office across immi 1K baht 1-2 days) + Medical certificate (McCormick Hospital 100B).
Go to Transport department near the airport, before BigC / Hang Dong at 8 AM and pass the tests. Done. 

For a matter of fact, I am going myself tomorrow after 7 years, but still get fined for the helmet.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Aren't Canadian licences issued in English?

Why can't you use it to get a bike licence issued at the same time as your Thai car licence when you take the foreign licence holder's test here, as many people do?

His Canadian licence is for cars, not bikes. He has a Mexican bike licence. In any event he has decided to get his act together now so all's well that ends well, after all Thailand is renowned for its happy endings.

CM recently in the last 1/2 year have been doing several check points around the city simultaneously  and just outside. Normally it has been one inside and 1 outside but has definitely increased. It is sometimes hard to get around. Bottom line is, if you want to ride without a license, get caught, then just pay the money. As easy as that. It does nothing else than empties your pocket. 

I drove a car for 6 years with the 2 licenses , international and home country , in Ubon , Yasothon and Mukdahan provinces . During that period I was asked to show my license to Police about 20 times . Not once did I get past showing them one license , on seeing one they were satisfied .

• Like 1

I come here twice a year and always have a current IDP with my Australian motorcycle/car licences. I've noticed lots more roadblocks lately and I've been stopped heaps of times but I've never been fined – always wear a helmet and always have my licence on the bike. 

Agree with comments about own countries. Where I come from in South Australia you be lucky to get away for a few weeks riding a motorbike without correct license.

I got a Aust open license including motorcycle was easy to get both Thai licenses once had yellow book.

Tourists should get international license before leaving home.

If no motorbike license in there own country don't ride here.

Try a tuk tuk

You said you come to Thailand since twelve years, sounds like you had much time to get a motorbike license in Canada, which would allow you to use an IDP now. Or you could have chosen to get a Thai license 12 years ago, back then it was probably very easy compared to today.

• Like 1

Another solution (apart from translating the Mexican license or getting a Thai one) is just go to Khao San road in Bangkok and buy a motorbike licence from there. Probably cost you 1000 baht but it will stop the fines so it will pay for itself.

Does anyone have anything useful to say in here? Most of the "advice" is just trying to point finger and is a waste of my time and a waste of yours.

And I'll call it for what it is: what the police is doing is blatant corruption and going after low-hanging fruits but is in itself criminal activity.

As for me, I'm getting my papers in order so that when I pass those blockages, there's only one criminal and I can just go by.

btw I'm not going to Bangkok, that's another useless advice. I'm either translating my Mexico license by post if possible, or going to Lampang to get my local license. 2 options that nobody here has even mentioned.

Thanks for nothing guys.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, MysteryX said:

Does anyone have anything useful to say in here? Most of the "advice" is just trying to point finger and is a waste of my time and a waste of yours.

And I'll call it for what it is: what the police is doing is blatant corruption and going after low-hanging fruits but is in itself criminal activity.

As for me, I'm getting my papers in order so that when I pass those blockages, there's only one criminal and I can just go by.

btw I'm not going to Bangkok, that's another useless advice. I'm either translating my Mexico license by post if possible, or going to Lampang to get my local license. 2 options that nobody here has even mentioned.

Thanks for nothing guys.

Police doing police work by fining unlicensed vehicle operators is now called corruption?

You have had plenty of advice, with the simplest being get a license either Thai or IDP plus overseas license. What more do you want to hear?

Most of the whining on this forum is about police NOT doing their job, but you are the opposite and whining when they DO do their job.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

with the simplest being get a license either Thai or IDP plus overseas license.

That is exactly what I'm trying to do. Did you even read the questions I've been asking? Doesn't seem so.

btw I'm getting a bad feeling about the Mexico translation thing; I'm just going to go to Lampang and get it over with the local way outside Chiang Mai.

• Sad 1