Red light cameras in Bangkok: 538 caught on first day of operation

webfact

6 hours ago, smedly said:

the rider of a motorbike isn't always the registered owner

Their stand is that you are still responsible for the person you loaned it to as it is in many countries.  Also, just like you, the driver, is responsible for seat-belts to be on all persons in your car. 

7 hours ago, Borzandy said:

" 538 caught on first day of operation " good and how many will pay the fine?

They will get it sooner or later.  I read they got smart (how I dont know!!) and are doing like most other countries with the new law.  This if you don't pay, you cannot renew your registration/driver's licence each year until all tickets are paid.  I also think you have (like most countries) 30-60 days and then they start adding interest too.  So if you don't want to pay, you can drive illegally like the rest!

Edited by mushroomdave

1 hour ago, mushroomdave said:

Their stand is that you are still responsible for the person you loaned it to as it is in many countries.  Also, just like you, the driver, is responsible for seat-belts to be on all persons in your car. 

completely different, the driver is in control of the vehicle and those in it

It's similar in the UK regarding speeding tickets - if the evidence is unclear who was driving (photo evidence) and the owner of the vehicle says he was not driving and can prove it - in law he cannot be fined - it is the driver of the vehicle that is responsible for the offence not the vehicle. 

These cameras will mint money, if properly installed and operated. I am flabbergasted though over the fact, that within three hours some 30 cameras recorded 538 violations ONLY, of which one intersection alone 269 and, with 78 the runner-up scored. 

An improvement over 978 from Saturday? Some cameras in Europe don't record half of that within a year ......... just saying 

39 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

These cameras will mint money, if properly installed and operated. I am flabbergasted though over the fact, that within three hours some 30 cameras recorded 538 violations ONLY, of which one intersection alone 269 and, with 78 the runner-up scored. 

An improvement over 978 from Saturday? Some cameras in Europe don't record half of that within a year ......... just saying 

I recall that about a decade ago they did a similar test with 10 cameras for 30 days.

I think the number after 30 days was something like 79000

• Like 1

On 9/3/2019 at 10:10 PM, smedly said:

completely different, the driver is in control of the vehicle and those in it

It's similar in the UK regarding speeding tickets - if the evidence is unclear who was driving (photo evidence) and the owner of the vehicle says he was not driving and can prove it - in law he cannot be fined - it is the driver of the vehicle that is responsible for the offence not the vehicle. 

Well for Ontario, Canada, the the law is the owner of the vehicle is responsible for the fine automatically with no demerit points.  But if stopped by a police officer, the driver of the vehicle is responsible for the fine and 3 demerit points. Either way, they will get their $$. 

what are the follow up Counts for each day after...?

probably a couple of months will pass by, before the fines arrive in the post?  

is it the usual expectation that a driver can only cop 'one' fine in any one day?