Prince Harry backs sustainable tourism plan

snoop1130

Prince Harry backs sustainable tourism plan

By Toby Sterling

214554.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, meets well-wishers outside of the Barton Neighbourhood Centre in Oxford, Britain, May 14, 2019. Kirsty Wigglesworth/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - Britain’s Prince Harry, who himself has come in for criticism for using private jets, announced a new tourism initiative on Tuesday to transform global travel so it becomes more sustainable.

The “Travalyst” scheme is designed to improve conservation, environmental protection and expand local community economic development to help the travel industry become a force for good, Buckingham Palace said.

It has been backed by Booking.com, Ctrip, Skyscanner, TripAdvisor and Visa.

“Travel has the unparalleled power to open people’s minds to different cultures, new experiences and to have a profound appreciation for what our world has to offer,” said Harry, Queen Elizabeth’s grandson.

“As tourism inevitably grows, it is critically important to accelerate the adoption of sustainable practices worldwide; and to balance this growth with the needs of the environment and the local population.”

Harry, who is launching the initiative in Amsterdam, has faced media accusations of hypocrisy for taking private planes to attend recent engagements while voicing concerns about the environment.

The criticism prompted singer Elton John, who Harry visited with his wife Meghan at his home in the south of France for a vacation last month, to launch a defence of the couple against the “distorted and malicious account in the press”.

“To support Prince Harry’s commitment to the environment, we ensured their flight was carbon neutral, by making the appropriate contribution to Carbon Footprint,” John wrote on Twitter.

“I highly respect and applaud both Harry and Meghan’s commitment to charity and I’m calling on the press to cease these relentless and untrue assassinations on their character that are spuriously crafted on an almost daily basis.”

Last year, there were 1.4 billion international trips and travel and tourism generated $8.8 trillion to the global economy, Buckingham Palace said while consumers were becoming keen to ensure their travel was more sustainable and had less impact on the environment.

A survey of travellers for Booking.com found 71% thought travel companies should offer more sustainable travel choices and 68% said it was important the money they spent went back into local communities.

“Working with companies, consumers and communities, the partnership will initially explore and promote solutions that help drive sustainable practices and consumer choices in areas including; supporting local people, protecting wildlife, tackling climate change and environmental damage, and alleviating over-tourism,” the palace said.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-09-03
  • Sad 1

“I came here by commercial,” Harry said during the initiative, called Travalyst, that aims to bring consumers, companies and communities together. “I spend 99% of my life traveling the world by commercial. Occasionally there needs to be an opportunity based on a unique circumstance to ensure my family are safe ― and it’s genuinely as simple as that.” 

When he does fly aboard a private jet, Harry said he makes sure to “always offset my CO2.” He added that doing so “can’t just be a ticking the box exercise” and is the “right thing to do and we need to make it cool.” 

“We can all do better and while no one is perfect, we all have a responsibility for our own individual impact,” Harry said, according to People. “The question is what we do to balance it out.”...

Something I don't understand.  I'd appreciate a (brief) explanation, if any anyone cares to offer.  I'm from the US, and never took an interest in the royalty stuff.

However I am familiar with the story involving Wallis Simpson, so my question is why Harry was permitted to marry this woman without abdicating his position.  Or is there something in her lineage that makes her a peer?

Also, and not to provoke trash talk, well, Harry looks nothing like any of the Windsors, but does bear a strong resemblance to a friend of his late mother.  Should there suddenly be a circumstance where Harry is set to ascend the throne, will this matter be raised?

• Like 2

I believe he backed this new scheme from the back of Elton Johns' private jet. He could have taken a ferry to Holland, or even the train, but no, it's better to fly to a place so that you can lecture them about flying less. Is it him, or his wife? I don't know, but they are increasingly out of touch.

Edited by UnkleGoooose
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bendejo said:

Something I don't understand.  I'd appreciate a (brief) explanation, if any anyone cares to offer.  I'm from the US, and never took an interest in the royalty stuff.

However I am familiar with the story involving Wallis Simpson, so my question is why Harry was permitted to marry this woman without abdicating his position.  Or is there something in her lineage that makes her a peer?

Also, and not to provoke trash talk, well, Harry looks nothing like any of the Windsors, but does bear a strong resemblance to a friend of his late mother.  Should there suddenly be a circumstance where Harry is set to ascend the throne, will this matter be raised?

Moral attitudes have decayed markedly in the West since the 1940's and since Harry is unlikely to ever come close to the throne anyway the few people who would object have little motivation to stick their neck's out. The issue already came up in a far more important way when Charles married Camilla over a decade ago. If the heir apparent can marry a divorcee, so can a spare heir like Harry. In the unlikely event Harry were to ever become King, they might insist that his wife be called Princess Consort rather than Queen owing to her dubious background, as was planned with Camilla, but with the way society is headed I wouldn't bet on it. Anything pretty much goes now. Harry could probably divorce Megan and marry an even less suitable woman while occupying the throne and nobody would bat an eye. 

Edited by usviphotography
  • Thanks 1

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/03/should-one-use-a-private-jet-to-campaign-over-climate-crisis

Here the bonkers Guardian substitutes the world "dilemma' for hypocrisy....what a [email protected] suffer these inbred, privileged idiots on the condition they dont get involved in politics..Its outrageous that this brat is involve in eco extremism preaching. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, bendejo said:

Her Divorce was the issue. https://nypost.com/2018/02/10/wallis-simpsons-marriage-to-edward-viii-was-shockingly-miserable/

This is a good   clear explanation

19 hours ago, usviphotography said:

Moral attitudes have decayed markedly in the West since the 1940's and since Harry is unlikely to ever come close to the throne anyway the few people who would object have little motivation to stick their neck's out. The issue already came up in a far more important way when Charles married Camilla over a decade ago. If the heir apparent can marry a divorcee, so can a spare heir like Harry. In the unlikely event Harry were to ever become King, they might insist that his wife be called Princess Consort rather than Queen owing to her dubious background, as was planned with Camilla, but with the way society is headed I wouldn't bet on it. Anything pretty much goes now. Harry could probably divorce Megan and marry an even less suitable woman while occupying the throne and nobody would bat an eye. 

Wbat would Alf Garnett say about it???

giphy.gif

Edited by overherebc

On 9/4/2019 at 6:12 AM, colinneil said:

Harry is becoming a disgrace, i used to have a lot of respect for him, but since he met/ married that limelight seeking diva, he has lost the plot.

Complete opposite now to his brother William.

Harry made a very Big mistake marrying that woman.

I agree. Of all the girls he has to marry a TV actress, divorcee from America! the world is not what it was.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BobBKK said:

I agree. Of all the girls he has to marry a TV actress, divorcee from America! the world is not what it was.

And not even a major TV Actress. If she were particularly pretty and young maybe that could have been overlooked, but she's neither of those either. He married an aging D-list actress that few people even in America had ever heard of prior to them becoming a couple. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, usviphotography said:

And not even a major TV Actress. If she were particularly pretty and young maybe that could have been overlooked, but she's neither of those either. He married an aging D-list actress that few people even in America had ever heard of prior to them becoming a couple. 

She's not pretty enough or young enough? Really? Are you pining for the 50's?  I don't know about her TV career but if they ever revive Till Death Do Us Part or All in the Family you'd make for a fine Alf Garnett or Archie Bunker.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

She's not pretty enough or young enough? Really? Are you pining for the 50's?  I don't know about her TV career but if they ever revive Till Death Do Us Part or All in the Family you'd make for a fine Alf Garnett or Archie Bunker.

She is 38 years old! He's only 34. He should be marrying a fertile, young, beautiful 23 year old and having plenty of royal spawn. No, he is not as bad as Emanuel Macron but given the fact he was one of the most eligible bachelors on the planet he certainly did not do his family or his nation proud. And not only did he marry this unsuitable woman, he's now letting her lead him around by the nose, destroying his popularity with the people and turning William in to the more likable brother.  

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

The difference in age between Harry and Megan is as nothing compared to the gap between Melania and that obese old duffer. You upset about that?

I don't think you quite grasp the principle here. Melania is 24 years younger than Trump. That makes Harry's marriage 28 years worse than Trump's. Trump at nearly 60 years old married a woman who was younger than Megan was when Harry married her when he was 34. 

And before you make some absurd charge of "sexism" please remember the biological realities underlying this discussion and consider that If Trump and Melania's age gap were in the same direction as Harry's, our future President Baron Trump wouldn't exist. 

Edited by usviphotography
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, usviphotography said:

I don't think you quite grasp the principle here. Melania is 24 years younger than Trump. That makes Harry's marriage 28 years worse than Trump's. Trump at nearly 60 years old married a woman who was younger than Megan was when Harry married her when he was 34. 

And before you make some absurd charge of "sexism" please remember the biological realities underlying this discussion and consider that If Trump and Melania's age gap were in the same direction as Harry's, our future President Baron Trump wouldn't exist. 

For what it's worth, there is already proof that Megan Markle can produce babies. And why this fixation with this couple making a lot of them? Or any for that matter? Have the other royals produced issue in abundance? Does the UK need more of them? If so, why?

And Harry's marriage is 28 years worse than Trump's? So you're saying to tie Trump he should have married a 6 year old? And to better Trump a 5 year old? I know that on occasion they do that kind of thing in India and Pakistan. Nostalgic for the Raj much?