Yamaha Nouvo Or Honda Air Blade?

I thought the nuovo was different from the mio..

The mio is the same as the fino..

The Mio, Fino and Nouvo all have exactly the same drivetrain and engine packaged differently. Pretty smart marketing I would say.

and just in case someone was wondering....the Honda Click and Air Blade have have the same engines too.

Then why is there a power difference between the fino / Mio and Nuovo ??

I know the Mio and Fino are parts interchangeable but didnt think the same applied exactly to the Nuovo. For sure the mio and fino are weaker on pulling power.

Edited by LivinLOS

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mio, Fino and Nouvo all have exactly the same drivetrain and engine packaged differently. Pretty smart marketing I would say.

and just in case someone was wondering....the Honda Click and Air Blade have have the same engines too.

However, as for the Click and Airblade one has to keep in mind, that they have different auto transmission units. IMHO this makes a big difference in acceleration.

I am still very happy with my Airblade!

I know the Mio and Fino are parts interchangeable but didnt think the same applied exactly to the Nuovo. For sure the mio and fino are weaker on pulling power.

If you don't believe it, go to http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/Product/?ProductID=67 and check out the specs for the Mio, Fino and Nouvo.

Perhaps you've noticed a power difference due to different gearing and wheel size, but the engines have exactly the same bore, stroke, compression and capacity.

113.7 cc

Compression: 8.8:1

Bore and stroke: 50 x 57.9

However, as for the Click and Airblade one has to keep in mind, that they have different auto transmission units. IMHO this makes a big difference in acceleration.

I am still very happy with my Airblade!

There really isn't a big difference in acceleration. I've been passed numerous time at full throttle on my Air Blade by a skinny Thai on a Click.

If you don't believe it, go to http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/Product/?ProductID=67 and check out the specs for the Mio, Fino and Nouvo.

Perhaps you've noticed a power difference due to different gearing and wheel size, but the engines have exactly the same bore, stroke, compression and capacity.

113.7 cc

Compression: 8.8:1

Bore and stroke: 50 x 57.9

Sure bore and stroke are the same..

But how do 'identical' engines have different power outputs ??? Basically they wont !! 5.98kw on the Mio v 6.54kw on the Nuovo.. and 8.62Nm (nuovo) over 7.53Nm... Almost a 10% difference in power output.

You also have different secondary gears within the drivetrain.. So clearly the drivetrain is not the same..

I am still not buying that they are part for part the same engine and drivetrain in a different skin, I say your wrong on that.. On the Fino and Mio I always understood they are but admit to never checking in any level of detail.

http://mybikeshop.wordpress.com/2008/06/18/yamaha-mio/

http://mybikeshop.wordpress.com/2008/02/16...uvo-z/#more-822

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Nouvo

I am still not buying that they are part for part the same engine and drivetrain in a different skin, I say your wrong on that.. On the Fino and Mio I always understood they are but admit to never checking in any level of detail.

http://mybikeshop.wordpress.com/2008/06/18/yamaha-mio/

http://mybikeshop.wordpress.com/2008/02/16...uvo-z/#more-822

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Nouvo

I'm not buying any of the info from the sources you provided. The Wikipedia doesn't even state the engine capacity correctly and assumes that the 135 cc model is a replacement for 115 cc (should be 113.7) 2004 model, which is isn't. That article is useless.

Another article talks of a Yamaha Nouvo Z model. What model is this? Where is it produced?

I'll take my info straight from the Thai Yamaha site and the engines are identical and will produce the same power.

A different gearing and wheel size will affect the power to the rear wheel of course.

Edited by tropo

The Nuovo Z = Nuovo MX in Indo.. Same bike 100%... Its an S in Malaysia and a RC in Vietnam.. Still a Nuovo.

Those links were just some of many.. If you search you will see that the results are that the power output is different.. Thats listed on many sites, all being the same figures. They do have a different drive train (clearly different secondary gears).. Your now agreeing that ?? As thats listed on the Thai Yamaha website.. Can you show me where the rated power output is listed as the same ?? As I dont see it listed on the Thai Yamaha website as you state.

Also "A different gearing and wheel size will affect the power to the rear wheel of course." is a strange statement. It will effect acceleration if thats what you mean but you dont gain power (BHP) by changing gearing. I would think thats too obvious to be what you meant tho.

The mio and the fino I understand to be the same machine.. The Nuovo isnt.. Show me any info that claims it is.

This is interesting, because now you're using the Philippines website.

It's also interesting, because I bought a Yamaha Nouvo in the Philippines last year on March 1, 07. It was lower in power than my Nouvo in Thailand. I rode this new model for 2 months and about 2,500 km after spending a whole year on a Nouvo in Thailand.

Note they don't state the CC rating as 113.7 as they do on the Thai site. Can you find a Thai site which gives the horsepower and torque ratings of all the new models in Thailand?

You were smart to pick up the obvious. Yes, I did mean that a different wheel size and gearing will affect the performance of the bike, afterall certain members are making statements that the Mio and Fino don't have the same performance as the Nouvo. I haven't seen any road performance tests to verify this, have you? A person's perception on which is faster doesn't mean much unless I see comparitive road tests, and as we all know, one bike of the same model can perform better than another.

Did you notice the difference in weight between the 2 models? A full 13 kgs wet.

Edited by tropo

I have provided multiple links, all listing the same facts.. You say the Thai site says the power output is the same.. Please show me where ?? You initially claimed they are exactly the same, the engine and drivetrain the same with just a different skin. Thats not true, the drive train is different, the engine is different, the power output is different.

Edited by LivinLOS

Some very good ideas there, I like the bigger storage and being able to refuel without lifting the seat.

The combi brake sounds like an intriquing, if a bit scary, idea but does it "work"?

Can you disable the kickstand switch? I would find it annoying if the bike was going to switch off every time I put the kick stand down (to open a gate or something).

I'm mostly worried about the size. I've had a few Wave's and they feel really cramped for me while I feel comfortable on a Nouvo due to it's slightly larger frame. How does the Honda compare, in your opinion?

The new neuvo goes like hel_l !,. I have ridden a few bikes with linked brakes,,the first was a 77 moto guzzi 850 le mans, and more recently a honda blackbird, i liked it,

I have provided multiple links, all listing the same facts.. You say the Thai site says the power output is the same.. Please show me where ?? You initially claimed they are exactly the same, the engine and drivetrain the same with just a different skin. Thats not true, the drive train is different, the engine is different, the power output is different.

I did not ever say that the power output is the same, I said the engine is the same and made that assumption. All you've shown is a few sites which claim the power output is different, but nothing from Thailand. I said I don't believe that the information on the sites you provided is accurate, and they are using bikes not manufactured in Thailand.

I agree now that the drive train is different, but what evidence have you povided that the engine is different when all the parameters are identical? You're assuming that identical engines are different because of bogus power output information from a few sites you found.

All the engines have identical capacity, stroke, bore and compression ratios. How are they different?

Got my bike yesterday - a black Nouvo 135. Very happy with it so far.
Picked up my black Nouvo Elegance with mag wheels today. It's a pleasure to drive, the perfect bike for Bangkok. Real power off the line and agile in traffic.

Hi guys,

I am about to buy a motorbike to ride in and around Pattaya.

I have read this forum and look in the near shops and like the new Nouvo Elegance (See pictures here)

I am not a "big" guy (only 60 kg) so for me a 135 cc is already a big bike.

You (JetsetBkk & Orangutan) bought a Nouvo 1 or 2 months ago.

Are you still happy with it today ? Was it a good choice ?

Thanks

Pattaya46

Pattaya46,

Without a doubt the Nouvo is the best choice for town driving. Effortless to drive and has the power and is agile enough to shoot through the spaces you encounter in traffic. I did a lot of research reading about other bikes and decided to buy the Nouvo..I gotta say I love riding it. I plan to enjoy it for many years, if I don't get killed riding it of course.

-O

I'm wondering which to buy, the Yamaha Nouvo or Honda Air Blande.

I've had a Nouvo before and they feel a little bigger than most small bikes here but now I hear a lot of good things about the Air Blade too. I had a look at one but it seems a bit smaller than the Nouvo. I also prefer the slightly larger wheels on the Nouvo (+2").

The price difference is minimal and of little consequence.

What do you'all think? Nouvo or Blade?

Hi phil, i have spent the last few days looking at both and opted for the new nouvo elegance, i really like the tu tone paint but what threw me was the 135 water cooled engine,.honda couldnt answer the question of when they were/if they were doing a blade with a bigger engine so the yam it was,.goes like a little rocket !, im also going to fit a pair of wider tyres as a friend of mine did this and it felt better on the road,.

moi and fino 115 cc, nuovo 135cc,

There are a lot of posts so this may have been mentioned before. Has anyone noticed that the foot pegs for the passenger on a Nouvo are rather high. I take a lot of motorcycle taxis and I’ve noticed that the position riding on the back is almost like squatting, and I’m not very tall. I’m thinking of getting a bike, and the Nouvo is high on my list. Is there any way to adjust the rear foot pegs? Sure, I’ll be driving most of the time, but this is about the only flaw I see with the bike.

moi and fino 115 cc, nuovo 135cc,

We were discussing the 115 (113.7) cc nuovo version which has the same bore and stroke..

This puts out about 10% more power than the similar mio and fino.

There are a lot of posts so this may have been mentioned before. Has anyone noticed that the foot pegs for the passenger on a Nouvo are rather high. I take a lot of motorcycle taxis and I’ve noticed that the position riding on the back is almost like squatting, and I’m not very tall. I’m thinking of getting a bike, and the Nouvo is high on my list. Is there any way to adjust the rear foot pegs? Sure, I’ll be driving most of the time, but this is about the only flaw I see with the bike.

It's the Mio that has the high footpegs and yep, looks bloody uncomfortable. My Nouvo Elegance has normally positioned rear pegs. BTW, have had mine since they first appeared in Feb this year, have put 3000km on it and am still happy that it was the best choice for it's designated job - my 25km daily commute.

Cheers,

Pikey.

• 1 month later...

I dislike my Honda 125 - it vibrates a great deal at idle, seems very weak, and often incredibly hard to start. It seems the cylinder always gets stuck in the all the way up or all the way down position, so it is very hard to break loose and turn it over. Usually it starts fairly redily once you can get it to turn, but not in the cold we get in Isaan winters.

As for Kawasaki Cheers and others such as Yamaha Fresh or Suzuiki Smash I rent them in Pattaya and they seem much better than the Honda. Automatics I have little use for.

Several days ago, I stopped in at the local Honda dealership here on Soi 18 Pattaya Naklua Road and I noticed that the CBR 150 on display was no longer there. Also.....the shop had changed its inventory and there were now only one or two Airblades. But there were a larger number of Clicks than before. One of the women working there pointed out to me, "New model. Fuel injection. Economy". Sure enough the bike she pointed out to me had fuel injection across its side. Moreover, the bike looked a lot better than previous Clicks I'd seen before. So I went home and looked up "Honda Click fuel injection" on Google and this is what I foundnew fuel injection system What had prompted her to point this out to me is I had been telling her I expected Honda to soon come up with a new Airblade model "because it had to" due to Yamaha's introduction of its new 135 cc. Nouvo model.

Since the Airblade is the flagship of the Honda automatics I have to assume this new fuel injection technology will soon be introduced in the Airblade which will make things quite interesting in the Yamaha Nouvo, Honda Air Blade rivalty. In my opinion here in Pattaya either the Honda Airblade or the Yamaha Nouvo is all the bike one needs. Everytime I go over to Ko Larn Island on the ferry I immediately rent an Airblade and I love it. But as I have mentioned here, I have now owned a 113 c.c. Yamaha Nouvo for over 2.5 years and I think it's terrific. One of my buddies recently bought the new 135 c.c. Nouvo models and I'm sure it will walk all over the Air Blade when it comes to power, but again, this is not really needed. Not here. And like a couple of the others here I do not like the current color schemes of the new Nouvos.

But it's still king of the hill. That being said, this new Honda technology makes things even more interesting because in the real world of everyday driving here (in Pattaya) factors other than speed and power are more important in my opinion such as cargo handling capacity, ease of use, handling ability, serviceability and reliability, braking, and so on. I'm sure all of us agree having more range in one's fuel tank is also important. A slightly larger fuel tank helps here, but if the new Airblade that I expect to be soon available offers something like 15 % or better fuel economy one automatically will get another 15-20 kilometers more range per tankful and this translates into fewer fillups among other things. Also, when I leave Thailand for a week or so my Nouvo is a bit hard to start when I first come back. I would think a fuel injection system would help in this type of situation.

Any thoughts on all of this?

Hi,

In my opinion here in Pattaya either the Honda Airblade or the Yamaha Nouvo is all the bike one needs.

In my opinion an Honda Click or Yamaha Fino is well enough to move into Pattaya.

Yes I saw the new Click everywhere too. Nice but in the 47-50 kbaht range when the "old" model is in the 42-45 kbaht range. I am not certain that the difference worth these 5,000 baht :o

Since the Airblade is the flagship of the Honda automatics I have to assume this new fuel injection technology will soon be introduced in the Airblade which will make things quite interesting in the Yamaha Nouvo, Honda Air Blade rivalty.

Any thoughts on all of this?

Yes, the Airblade with fuel injection is coming. I was told Honda is waiting for existing Airblade inventory to sell before introducing the Airblade w/FI (if I understood the dealer correctly). But just to keep it interesting I'm told Yamaha will add fuel injection to the Nouvo 135. Yamaha already has the Spark 135 with fuel injection and a dealer confirmed that the Nouvo will be getting it but wasn't sure when. They did say it will be a lot more expensive. I think FI adds about 5,000 baht to the Spark - an amount which would push the Nouvo w/mags to over 60,000 baht!

That"s very true. The high footpegs are even for Thais not very comfortable!

Yes, the Airblade with fuel injection is coming. I was told Honda is waiting for existing Airblade inventory to sell before introducing the Airblade w/FI (if I understood the dealer correctly). But just to keep it interesting I'm told Yamaha will add fuel injection to the Nouvo 135. Yamaha already has the Spark 135 with fuel injection and a dealer confirmed that the Nouvo will be getting it but wasn't sure when. They did say it will be a lot more expensive. I think FI adds about 5,000 baht to the Spark - an amount which would push the Nouvo w/mags to over 60,000 baht!

As I've said, I like the Airblade very much and find the red/black color combination to be most attractive. That new fuel injection system seems to me to be the berries. The Airblade's enough bike for Pattaya. But I've driven the new 135 c.c. Elegance and it's definitely got noticeably more power than my 113 c.c. Nouvo. The liquid cooling also makes it quieter, not that the 113 c.c. model is all that objectionable. Still, we are talking 8.9 horsepower for the old model versus 11.2 for the new model, good for a 26 % increase in power. And mine does a fine job the way it is.

The Air Blade getting the fuel injection the lesser models has is a given. Yamaha matching Honda here is also a foregone conclusion particularly in light of the Yamaha Spark already having it. But I'd think Honda needs to do even more to stay competitive with Yamaha which always seems to be one or two steps ahead when it comes to the automatics.

The Airblade's enough bike for Pattaya. But I've driven the new 135 c.c. Elegance and it's definitely got noticeably more power than my 113 c.c. Nouvo. The liquid cooling also makes it quieter, not that the 113 c.c. model is all that objectionable. Still, we are talking 8.9 horsepower for the old model versus 11.2 for the new model, good for a 26 % increase in power. And mine does a fine job the way it is.

The Air Blade getting the fuel injection the lesser models has is a given. Yamaha matching Honda here is also a foregone conclusion particularly in light of the Yamaha Spark already having it. But I'd think Honda needs to do even more to stay competitive with Yamaha which always seems to be one or two steps ahead when it comes to the automatics.

I agree that the current Airblade is more than enough for Pattaya. In fact, I don't see adding fuel injection as being that valuable. Honda claims it will increase the power and fuel economy by 15%. I'm not sure of the specs, but I believe that still gives it less power than the Nouvo 135. I use about 150 baht in fuel per week. That means the FI will save me less than 23 baht per week. So if it costs 5,000 baht to add FI, it will take over 4 years to pay for itself. It does also make it easier to start, so I'd probably pay the extra 5K, but I'd much rather buy the Nouvo 135 w/out FI (especially since it should cost less) than an Airblade with. Personally, I like the Airblade Phoenix Edition in red best.

Very nice review, Corey.

Here's my take on improved fuel economy, in this case, something like 15 % of an improvement in the new fuel injection system claimed by Honda for its new model Click. First off, in the pocket it's not going to make much difference to me, you or most others on this board. To a Thai making low wages, yes, but not to us. As for power, I'm not sure the Click and later the Air Blade will actually get 15 % more power. And the 135 c.c. Nouvo simply has a fair amount more grunt than my 113 c.c. model and it doesn't have to work so hard to access the power.

I am reminded of being in the Krabi area, staying at Ao Nang beach. One day my gf and I rented a Honda Click and a day or two after we rented the Air Blade which had just entered the Thailand market. Once we got out of Ao Nang, we found the scenery to be excellent and the roads to be very good with very little traffic. I did not like the Click at all, drove it only several hundred yards, then I stopped and told my gf, "Here you drive it". It was just too twitchy for me driving two up. We were looking for a specific area where we had been told the scenery was very spectacular, and I had a Nikon professonal camera with me to get what I hoped would be pictures worth framing on my wall. I'm not sure how far out of town we got but I'd say it must have been at least 25 miles. Not knowing where we were going exactly, we just drove around. Out there we didn't see many if any gas stations. When we got back to Ao Nang my gas gauge was showing only one eight of a tank.

The Airblade was a different story. While I despised driving the Click I just didn't want to get off the Airblade. Once again the traffic was extremely light and the scenery was gorgeous. After doing whatever driving we did that day when we got back the fuel gauge still showed three quarters full (Had to be something wrong with that fuel gauge).

Looking back at my driving in this area, if I lived there, I'd probably be looking at something like a CBR 150 since it would be loads of fun driving where there is little traffic on good curvy roads. And I'd have lots of range in that much larger tank on the CBR. (but I'd take a close look at the coming Ninja 250 R) But here in Pattaya I feel the Nouvo and the Airblade are the two kings of the hill.

Say I owned the new Airblade that will surely be introduced with fuel injection when it comes out. If the current one gets say 120 kilometers to the tank a 15 % increase in fuel economy would increase that to 138 kilmeters. I would have felt a lot more comfortable driving out in those Krabi area boonies with 18 more kilometers left to go in my tank when my tank back then showed it was near empty. Also, I really don't like going to gas stations all that much to refill my Nouvo all that much here in Pattaya. Going 15 % less often to me is a plus. Lastly, as I have already mentioned, when I am out of the country for a week or so and I get back to my condo here in my Pattaya when I first jump on my Nouvo it takes me awhile to get it started as its been sitting around for awhile without being driven. I think fuel injection would help a lot here.

So I'd gladly pay more to have fuel injection if it gives me 15 % more range, and my reasoning has nothing to do with cost factors such as having to pay a little more for a bike or wanting to save a little in operating costs. I feel very strongly that automatics are the way to go here in Pattaya with its extreme stop and go driving conditions. Furthermore, it seems I'm always picking up groceries and other things or putting magazines or file folders in my luggage compartment on my Nouvo. Putting things under the seat is convenient and this does not effect the handling of the bike adversely (a front mounted basket will). And I have all those hooks all over my Nouvo so I can easily strap things down with bungee cords plus there's that hook in front of me where I can put two or three more bags of groceries. Getting saddlebags or a luggage compartment to put behind the seat costs extra, I don't like the construction of most I've seen, and using them would simply be a lot less convenient. But I sure wouldn't mind having to shift if I lived somewhere like the Krabi area where I sure could use a much longer cruising range. If i liked the driving position of the Ninja I'd probably buy one even if it did cost me 139,000 baht. Provided that is that I got good service wherever I was living. I do wonder how comfortable my gf would feel on the back of that Ninja though. I'm sure one could get good service there for a CBR so that would probably be my second choice. I like the comfort of a Phantom, especially for two people but I detest that easy chair feeling one gets driving cruiser style bikes. For me they are definitely not the thing to keep me feeling I'm on top of my driving and I don't like a lot of chrome that needs to be constantly cleaned.

What I would have liked to have seen was for Yamaha to have somehow engineered in a larger fuel tank for its new 135 c.c. Elegance to give it more range. Nothing drastic. Even 2 more liters capacity would make a big difference. And speaking for the Nouvos, there is one more advantage I might have barely mentioned in a past post, but I do think it's significant at times. It has a lot more ground clearance than the Airblade due largely to its larger diameter wheels. Example in point, there is a cluster of bars near me. At times to enter this cluster in order not to park on the street one drives across boards that are placed on the curb but these boards are not always in place so one must drive straight over the curb. The Nouvo manages this with ease whereas the Airblade grounds out while going over the curb, so for semi off road type conditions advantage goes big time to the Nouvo.

Edited by jackcorbett

• 7 months later...