Yamaha Nouvo Or Honda Air Blade?

I'm wondering which to buy, the Yamaha Nouvo or Honda Air Blande.

I've had a Nouvo before and they feel a little bigger than most small bikes here but now I hear a lot of good things about the Air Blade too. I had a look at one but it seems a bit smaller than the Nouvo. I also prefer the slightly larger wheels on the Nouvo (+2").

The price difference is minimal and of little consequence.

What do you'all think? Nouvo or Blade?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Honda. It has quite a few improvements. The engine is liquid cooled and has as much power as other 125's. The single lever brake applies the brakes on the front and the back at the same time. I'm not real keen on that because I'd worry about locking up the front wheel when on gravel. You don't need to raise the seat to put fuel in the tank and under the seat it has a BIG storage area. I sometimes forget to put up the kickstand and if the kickstand is not up on the Honda, it won't start. Likewise it stops the engine when it is put down. I forget now but I think it even has a parking brake.

Some very good ideas there, I like the bigger storage and being able to refuel without lifting the seat.

The combi brake sounds like an intriquing, if a bit scary, idea but does it "work"?

Can you disable the kickstand switch? I would find it annoying if the bike was going to switch off every time I put the kick stand down (to open a gate or something).

I'm mostly worried about the size. I've had a few Wave's and they feel really cramped for me while I feel comfortable on a Nouvo due to it's slightly larger frame. How does the Honda compare, in your opinion?

Some very good ideas there, I like the bigger storage and being able to refuel without lifting the seat.

The combi brake sounds like an intriquing, if a bit scary, idea but does it "work"?

Can you disable the kickstand switch? I would find it annoying if the bike was going to switch off every time I put the kick stand down (to open a gate or something).

I'm mostly worried about the size. I've had a few Wave's and they feel really cramped for me while I feel comfortable on a Nouvo due to it's slightly larger frame. How does the Honda compare, in your opinion?

Actually I didn't notice much difference sitting on either of them. They are BOTH too small. :o I would guess that a jumper wire would easily disable the kick stand switch. Honda must think the brakes are not a problem but I'd really like to check them out myself on a dirt or stone road and going slow enough to prepare for the front wheel to lock up.

The combi brake is very good. I owned a Honda Varadero (1000ccm) back home with this system. I could block the backtyre with no Problems, the front tyre never blocked as just 30% ore so of the brake power went there (as long as I didn't use the front brake lever.

If you compare the visible quality of the two bikes, you will see that the Honda has the much better optical quality. I own a Nouvo, but at that time Honda had no automatic, so I had to buy the Nouvo; I am happy with it but today I would go for the Air Blade any day. Make a testdrive with both, maybe even rent each for a day, after you will know.

i am renting a honda click at the moment and sometimes you need to put the kisckstand down and because the engine hasn't been properly warmed it up you need to use the kickstarter to start it. Which is a royal pain in the butt as the kicker is on the left hand side of the bike and you need to hold down the right brake to start the bike.

I prefer the Honda Wave. It's not so heavy to move and uses less fuel as well!

I just sold my Wave, it's too small and I'm too lazy (and my wife don't know how) to use the gears.

Actually I just bough the Air Blade, so a couple of early observations:

- I asked the salesgirls about the kick stand and she said it was no problem to disable the sensor if I didn't like this functionality. I decided to leave it for now and see how it works.

- the combi brake seems ok-ish, but I still prefer to use both brakes.

- of course I've only done a few km's on it (from the shop and home) but my immediate feeling was it is less stable, smaller and slower than the Nouvo I had. A stretch where I've always been able to comfortably reach 110 km/h on my Wave 125 and Yamaha Nouvo I was only able to reach 90 with the Air Blade. I am wondering if they did some trickery on purpose to lower the power until the first service check, perhaps to save it until it's run in, could that be it?

I have an Air Blade and I love it, but it is a city bike. I have had my first check, but my top speed on a straight flat stretch is about 100, but it gets to 80 in a quick time and will cruise 80-90 no problem except on steep hills. I get about 36k/litre on the open road and that drops to about 26 in the city. The bike as I say is great in the city, has lots of get up and go for weaving in and out of trafic and has the nice advantage that you don't have to change gears. On the open road it is underpowered but then aren't almost all step throughs? Issangeorge.

Notice I was comparing with a Nuovo which is exactly the same concept (CVT). The Nouvo has a slightly larger engine, 115cc vs the Air Blades 110cc. The brochures don't say anything about power but the sales people insisted the Blade was more powerful than the Nuovo, yet, it is considerably (~10km/h) slower with the same conditions. Anyway might just get a chip tune once it's run in :o

Edited by Phil Conners

Hi

You can buy th Air Wave without the combi brake system its model number NC110 AR compared to NC110AC.

If the combi system is the same principle as on my Blackbird you wont lock the front wheel as it utilises the front caliper applying the rear brake, not the other way around. The more you squeeze the front lever this actually moves the front caliper which is connected to a piston which applies the rear brake.

I'm actually looking for a small bike now to cut down my travel time, looking at the AirWave, Suzuki Raider 150, or just for fun the Kawasaki KSR. Anybody out there got any comparisons on those

Many thanks

Warwick

Warwick, you are correct, there are two Air Blade models, one with mag wheels, combi brake, parking brake, the other one with standard wire wheels which is about 3,500 baht cheaper. I got the one with the mag wheels as the chrome on wire wheels always seem to rust almost immediately in the Pattaya climate.

I've got an air Blade with mags, combi brake etc.

I had a spark 135 before so i obviously find it alot slower but otherwise its nice.

combi brake takes a bit of getting used to but I actually find it very affective and don't really use the front brake by itself, the thing will stop on a sixpence.

the tires on the blade are wider than the Nouvo so its nice around corners.

Storage space etc is good and i'm very pleased with it. :o

Why don't the Honda automatic bikes (Blade and Click) have a mount for a basket in front of the handlebars?

I was sitting at a streetside restaurant today and parked right in front of me happened to be a Yamaho Mio and a Honda Click, and they seemed to be designed very similarly: frame size, wheel size, etc, but the big advantage (to me) for the Mio was the basket in front. I mainly use a bike (when I rent one) for shopping and that basket means one more shopping bag I can bring home easily. There appeared to be plenty of room for the basket on the Click (there obviously was on the Mio which had a basket) and it would not interfere with handlebar action nor block the headlight.

I just sold my Wave, it's too small and I'm too lazy (and my wife don't know how) to use the gears.

Actually I just bough the Air Blade, so a couple of early observations:

- I asked the salesgirls about the kick stand and she said it was no problem to disable the sensor if I didn't like this functionality. I decided to leave it for now and see how it works.

- the combi brake seems ok-ish, but I still prefer to use both brakes.

- of course I've only done a few km's on it (from the shop and home) but my immediate feeling was it is less stable, smaller and slower than the Nouvo I had. A stretch where I've always been able to comfortably reach 110 km/h on my Wave 125 and Yamaha Nouvo I was only able to reach 90 with the Air Blade. I am wondering if they did some trickery on purpose to lower the power until the first service check, perhaps to save it until it's run in, could that be it?

I rented both a Nouvo and Air Blade each for a week to make my choice and I picked the Nouvo.

The storage under the seat is much larger and I found it was more comfortable.

I also questioned as many people about both bikes b4 purchase and many picked the Nouvo since Yamaha has sort of perfected the production of the automatic trans used and Honda was new to the game.

That said the Nouvo is horrible on gas, but I like being able to keep a full sized helmet under the seat.

Why don't the Honda automatic bikes (Blade and Click) have a mount for a basket in front of the handlebars?

I was sitting at a streetside restaurant today and parked right in front of me happened to be a Yamaho Mio and a Honda Click, and they seemed to be designed very similarly: frame size, wheel size, etc, but the big advantage (to me) for the Mio was the basket in front. I mainly use a bike (when I rent one) for shopping and that basket means one more shopping bag I can bring home easily. There appeared to be plenty of room for the basket on the Click (there obviously was on the Mio which had a basket) and it would not interfere with handlebar action nor block the headlight.

The click has a hook under the dash for you to hang stuff from. You can hang a fair amount of stuff on it - it's a good idea to have a carrier bag under the seat. It is the about the only feature on the CLick that I like!

I rented both a Nouvo and Air Blade each for a week to make my choice and I picked the Nouvo.

The storage under the seat is much larger and I found it was more comfortable.

I also questioned as many people about both bikes b4 purchase and many picked the Nouvo since Yamaha has sort of perfected the production of the automatic trans used and Honda was new to the game.

That said the Nouvo is horrible on gas, but I like being able to keep a full sized helmet under the seat.

I already owned a Nouvo - pre MX model so I kinda knew what that was like. The Blade just had so many new features that I though it was worth the try. Anyway, I only use it to runaround, if I go shopping I take the car, so space isn't a big issue for me. Shopping baskets are convenient but uncool and I think the Blade and the Click are aiming for form rather than function.

Honda and Yamaha uses the exact same CVT transmission system and though Yamaha has some years experience, I think Honda is big enough to know what they do.

My remaining gripe is the lack of power. While both my old Nouvo and Wave comfortably did 110 km/h the Blade seems to max out at 90 km/h. I'd be curious to hear from other Blade owners if they have the same top speed. I'm not in a particular hurry but I like to have enough spare power to get myself out of trouble if necessary, and given the sales girl insisted the Blade had more power I wonder if something isn't right with it.

This is to Phil & Jimmy

How much did you pay for your Bade & Nouvo, and where from.

I like the looks of the Blade better, but am now concerned that its going to be too slow, the girl in Honda dealer said it was equivalent to the wave 125 on power????? Now it seems it isn't.

Why is Honda so popular here, yet back home in the UK you see all sorts of bikes from the main 4 (yam, Kwacker, Suzi, Hon). Here everywhere you look its Honda, Honda, Honda.

Many thanks

Warwick

I asked the girl in the dealership, she claim it will be faster when it is run in. I doubt it but we'll see.

The Blade is about 2K more expensive than the Nouvo. The top model Blade with mag wheels was 52.300 baht ++ (insurance, plates etc). I bought it in one of the shops on Sukhumvit Road out of convenience but had same price quoted in South Pattaya as well. Not much difference.

Yeah Honda have been the most popular bike for years, since the Suzuki Chrystal over 10 years ago. Yamaha made a niche for themselves with the Nouvo and Mio because Honda didn't have anything like that, but now they have the Blade and the Click we'll see if they get the market share back.

Edited by Phil Conners

This is to Phil & Jimmy

How much did you pay for your Bade & Nouvo, and where from.

I like the looks of the Blade better, but am now concerned that its going to be too slow, the girl in Honda dealer said it was equivalent to the wave 125 on power????? Now it seems it isn't.

Why is Honda so popular here, yet back home in the UK you see all sorts of bikes from the main 4 (yam, Kwacker, Suzi, Hon). Here everywhere you look its Honda, Honda, Honda.

Many thanks

Warwick

I am in Pattaya , forgot the exact amount I paid for the Nouvo , around 45,ooo baht with ins.

Easy to drive and again I found it more comfortable ( larger seat and profile) and more powerful than the Honda airblade albeit less stylish.

I think Honda's have a better resale value in Thailand , with the Honda Wave being without doubt the #1 seller in the country.

The Yamaha Mio ( Nouvo's little brother) has just had a revamp on the style side so the Nouvo may be coming up with a newer improved model with a bigger engin.

The single lever brake applies the brakes on the front and the back at the same time.

Reading online promo literature, I see that the bike also has the "regular" front brake handle on the right, in addition to that "single brake lever" on the left. What's the intent? To regularly use only the left handle? Or to still use both brake handles in tandem? If the former, when would you use the right handle? If the latter, what's the purpose/benefit of both brakes being applied via the left handle if you're also using the right handle?

The combi brake supposedly channel 30% of the pressure to the front brakes and 70% to the rear. The right brake is used for additional braking power to the front wheel. It works ok but I could easily live without it. I guess it's just another little aide to help inexperienced drivers.

I don't know the mileage yet, I'll let you know first time I refill it. I never did a km/l check with my bikes. I think the cost in real money is very little, what's more important for me is how often I have to get in and refill. I had the impression that I had to refill my Wave 125 much more often than the Nouvo I had, probably because the Nouvo has a larger tank. I think it's the same with the Blade.

The Blade have quite 'fat" tires - the fattest on this type of bike that I've seen - and it gives it a very comfortable, almost soft, ride. Handling is ok and the head lights are nothing but exceptional - this is the first bike I've had with front lights that actually lights up the road.

I asked the dealer about the missing choker and they told me it has auto-choker. No injection :o

It still feels rather slow on the top speed. I hope at the first service they will adjust something to give it power similar to the Nouvo.

Edited by Phil Conners

Okay I have had my Air Blade for a little over 1,500 kms. In the first 1,498.1 kms. I used 42.47 litres for an average of 35.28 kms/lt. Probably about 60% city and 40% on the open road. I have already had my first check. Today I drove to town 15 kms of open road and the bike cruises at 80 to 90 no problem and will pass a vehicle going 80, with out to much difficulty, but my top speed was 103 and that was slightly downhill, it was very difficult to get to 100 and I think you would have to be going down a mountain to reach 110. The braking power is the best I have ever had on a small bike and has saved my ass a couple of times. I have said before the bike is fantastic in the city and adaquite on the open road, but for an open road bike I think you need at least 150cc and higher. Issangeorge

If you travel on the highway a lot, the 125's just do NOT have enough power. I graduated from a 125 Honda Dream to a 175 Kawasaki Boss. I though the Boss was a great bike, almost like a real motorcycle. Some of my friends had Phantoms and I REALLY enjoyed showing them the tail light of the Kawasaki. Going from a BMW and four cylinder Hondas in the US down to a 125 was quite a let down. :o

My wife had a 100 Honda Wave and bought a 125 Suzuki Best. The Honda rode better and had a more comfortable seat for me. The Suzuki has loads more power but I think the Honda was the better bike. The next one will be an Air Blade. The wife simply could NOT get used to a totally manual transmission and the Kawasaki was sold.

Interesting to read about the braking system on the Air Blade.Does the lever channel 70% brake power to the rear???

I ride a NSR150 and have always used the front brake for the majority of braking,this is what I learnt from riding bigger bikes in the UK,70% front...30% rear..

Maybe because of the weight and size of the AirBlade the rear brake is used more?

Interesting to read about the braking system on the Air Blade.Does the lever channel 70% brake power to the rear???

I ride a NSR150 and have always used the front brake for the majority of braking,this is what I learnt from riding bigger bikes in the UK,70% front...30% rear..

Maybe because of the weight and size of the AirBlade the rear brake is used more?

I know my english is limited, but I will do my best to explain:

The Blade is an automatic bike. So you don't have a foot brake (for the back tyre). You brake with left and right hand handles. Using the left hand, the main power goes to the back brake (70% or so), 30 % is going to the front brake. Using the right hand, 70% is going to the front brake, 30% to the back brake. Don't hang me up at the %, but that is the way this system is working. For full power on the front and back brake, you have to use the left and right hand handles. And yes, the front brake is still resposible for the shorter brake way. Even Honda can not turn physical laws. This system just helps you to not block a tyre so easy (or reduce the danger of it) if you panic and try to do a full stop, maybe just using the front ore back brake.