Snap election on horizon after UK lawmakers vote to block 'no-deal' Brexit

webfact

It looks like Leavers might have to settle in for the long haul. Obviously it would be better to get it sorted soon but with a Remain Parliament blocking a deal and also blocking no deal, (despite the wishes of a Leave electorate), and the fixed term parliament act requiring 2 thirds of Parliament to vote for a GE (Parliament won't vote for it as they know a load of them would lose their seats due to their appalling behaviour), the Remainers can drag this mess on for years, and probably will.

Terrible for the pound, terrible for the economy, terrible for the reputation of the country. But if this is the game Remainers wish to play, then I will wait. I've waited 3 years already, I can wait many more. ???? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I am not bitter at all. Are you going to 'man up' and admit that you put totally incorrect information down or are you going to continue to avoid the point, that I have already mentioned two times.

I have seen lesser posts disappear for sprouting total lies.

Do mean buses with 350m better out deals than in not paying a penny and stuff like that and there's a skillful art of avoiding questions that leavers have that are now being transferred ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Do mean buses with 350m better out deals than in not paying a penny and stuff like that and there's a skillful art of avoiding questions that leavers have that are now being transferred ????

So you cant even admit when you are completely wrong. Sad.

This last comment puts you in the category of desperate. Go on man up and say it. It won't hurt.  I will help you so you can cut and paste below.

My comment that half of Boris Johnson's friends voted against him was a complete lie. I wasn't intending to spread lies or falsehoods. I am sorry.

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Can you read?

Are you able to listen?

Because if you are able to do that then you would know that Corbyn said he supports an election AFTER No-Deal Brexit is blocked. Because he cares for the UK and he knows No-Deal is a catastrophe.

Corbyn is far away from perfect but what he does about the No-No-Deal and the election makes perfect sense.

Maybe have a look at the news - it helps us all to understand what is going on.

Corbyn cares nothing for the UK
All he cares about is getting power which will ruin the UK - in very little time

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Anyone with any common sense knows that it is all about keeping the UK in the EU.

And then there are the people who think they have common sense...

Only because you think similar to your personal bubble does not make it common sense.

2 hours ago, Topdoc said:

Actually you need to follow the news! 

Let me summarise for you:

The EU is only giving the UK 3 options,

1) The old WA agreement (a bad deal which has been rejected by parliament 3 times)

2) No Deal (which has just been rejected by parliament)

3) An extension to remain in the EU

It's therefore clear that parliament is surreptitiously going for option 3)

BUT THE PEOPLE VOTED TO LEAVE.

It must be really hard for you to accept that the EU follows their principles and does not make an exception for the UK - even if some people over there still think they are Great Britain.

The last days Boris tells everybody he is working on a deal - obviously in secret. That must be number 4 in your list. But then lots of people think Boris is just lying and pretending. What do you think?

Maybe after the UK parliament made up their mind what they actually want they should ask the EU to evaluate their proposed deal. But until now there is no majority for anything in UK parliament so what do you think should the EU do? Should the EU do the work which the UK politicians are obviously not able to do? Taking back control and all that - 555!

• Like 1

Snap election???  Just been ruled out by the courageous Tories who have shown great balls by breaking with the antics of their party by putting country first. And face deselection for their troubles.

Nice to see the nastiest of governments get a real slap in the face.

Long may it continue .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And then there are the people who think they have common sense...

Only because you think similar to your personal bubble does not make it common sense.

So enlighten us all. What is this to do with. So its not about staying in the EU. The WA is staying in the EU. It is BRINO.

Looking forward to hearing what it is. Read the Times and the comments even reamainers have the decency to say its about keeping the UK in the EU.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

ts about keeping the UK in the EU.

Many of us, we European men of the street, hope it will be the case.

Not really interested in all the details, but only about the fact that when the U.K. will leave, there is a great possibility we will have to pay more for this E.U. thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Many of us, we European men of the street, hope it will be the case.

Not really interested in all the details, but only about the fact that when the U.K. will leave, there is a great possibility we will have to pay more for this E.U. thing.

At least you are being honest, thank you.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

So enlighten us all. What is this to do with. So its not about staying in the EU. The WA is staying in the EU. It is BRINO.

Looking forward to hearing what it is. Read the Times and the comments even reamainers have the decency to say its about keeping the UK in the EU.

The way I understand it it's about No No-Deal.

A No-Deal is a catastrophe for the UK and it's also bad for the rest of Europe.

And In fact the no-deal is only a temporary no-deal because obviously the UK and the EU still want to do business with each other and people still want to travel between the countries. In case the UK would leave without a deal then very soon after that the UK and EU would work on a new deal. But that is legally a lot more complicated after the UK left the EU. This is why it makes so much sense to work out a deal before they leave.

The Labor party has (ex) voters who want to leave and others who want to remain. That makes it obviously difficult for Corbyn to say clearly if he wants to leave or remain. If he would make a clear statement that he wants one or the other then he would lose part of his supporters. He will obviously avoid that as much as possible.

I think currently nobody knows what the future of the UK will be. Maybe they will remain in the EU, and maybe they will leave. But realistically even if they leave the EU they will still have to work with the EU. And what Boris does in the moment is exactly the opposite of that. He does not make new suggestions, he just blames the EU and he tells the EU come up with something what we like. Is that the job of the EU? Sure not!

It is in the long term interest of the UK to work together with the EU. The only question is how exactly that will happen.

Boris is obviously doing it wrong. And as long as the Brexiters dream about cake and cherries and unicorns there won't be a solution because there are no unicorns. But how to explain that to Brexiters who believe they exist?

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, vogie said:

At least you are being honest, thank you.

No need to thank, it is always the man in the street who is the victim.

We don't care about Brexit and the E.U. and the royal family and so many other things.

It's about our money.

I hear regularly British complain about Brexit here in Pattaya, pretty sure they are mostly all nationalists, wishing Great Britain become great again, and all that.

But the value of the Pound touch them directly, so for them  Brexit is not a good thing.

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

No need to thank, it is always the man in the street who is the victim.

We don't care about Brexit and the E.U. and the royal family and so many other things.

It's about our money.

I hear regularly British complain about Brexit here in Pattaya, pretty sure they are mostly all nationalists, wishing Great Britain become great again, and all that.

But the value of the Pound touch them directly, so for them  Brexit is not a good thing.

One mans meat is another mans poison.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

A No-Deal is a catastrophe for the UK and it's also bad for the rest of Europe

Talk about melodramatic using such words as catastrophic.

Can you not see that the EU will offer the WA and if there is nothing else there is no bargaining.  Like playing cards and the others can see your hand all through the game. The EU have said there is no new deal, so that  clearly shows that there is only the WA that has been kicked out 3 times by Parliament. Which is essentially staying in the EU (BRINO).

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe they will remain in the EU, and maybe they will leave.

We had a referendum on this and if this is not carried through democracy in the UK is dead.

I believe your are not from the UK and maybe you can't give a host nations viewpoint other than that from the news.

13 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Democracy is a misnomer for the political system in the UK.

In your opinion. For others it is the stable of a free and equal society.

14 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

And you hold this up as a shining light for democracy?

Where did I say this or are you making it up.

I will say its a democracy that has worked in most cases very well. When you have an entity that is so powerful like the EU it has shown that democracy can easily be bought.

How about all the lies that was spoken getting the UK into the EU (ECC), something that remainers like to forget.

19 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I believe your are not from the UK and maybe you can't give a host nations viewpoint other than that from the news.

You are right, I am not a EU citizen.

But then again I read the news all the time and from different sources.

And I have friends in Thailand who grew up in the UK.

What I see is like a couple who was married for decades and they have many children and grand-children. And then they decide to separate. Sure, fine, separate from each other. But because of the kids and the shared assets and and and you can't just say: I will leave tomorrow. There is a future out there and in the future the couple and the rest of the families will still see each others. And they still have to talk to each other. So it makes a lot of sense to do this with a fair separation agreement and a plan for the future how to live in harmony together.

But a divorce is obviously on a much smaller scale. What the UK wants is obviously many time more difficult. "Just leave" is no option - that is obvious. And pretending there is such a thing as just leave is exactly that, pretending, nothing else. Let's look at reality and lets work out a realistic plan. The EU is still waiting to hear a realistic plan from Boris and the UK. Where is his plan?

9 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

So where is your money from or will you go running to teacher again.

I am afraid you are confused.

I never teached in my life, thanks to the Belgium laws ( The E.U. has nothing to say about this ) I could retire from a private Belgian company at the age of 53,

with a net income now at the age of 71 of, 2244 Euro net monthly.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What I see is like a couple who was married for decades and they have many children and grand-children. And then they decide to separate.

I don't know what marriages you are use to but are they Quakers. ????. There were 6 in the ECE and then another 21 joined.

Sure, fine, separate from each other. But because of the kids and the shared assets and and and you can't just say: I will leave tomorrow.

The UK has never said leave tomorrow they have given more than ample time. It was over 21 years.

Yes we would like some of those shared assets.

You are right, I am not a EU citizen.

I was meaning a UK citizen not EU.

What the UK wants is obviously many time more difficult. "Just leave" is no option - that is obvious

No this would seem what the MP's want.

Let's look at reality and lets work out a realistic plan. The EU is still waiting to hear a realistic plan from Boris and the UK. Where is his plan?

It has been said to death. Boris has mentioned get rid of the backstop and the EU won't, as it ties the UK to the EU, which is keeping the UK in the EU. Even those who are mentally challenged know this.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I am afraid you are confused.

I never teached in my life, thanks to the Belgium laws ( The E.U. has nothing to say about this ) I could retire from a private Belgian company at the age of 53,

with a net income now at the age of 71 of, 2244 Euro net monthly.

You definitely do not understand what I was getting at and had nothing to do with teaching.

I suppose I could give you a clue but whats the point.

• Haha 1

'Jean-Yves Le Drian, the French foreign minister, said on Tuesday that France opposes a further postponement of Brexit unless it was for a game-changing event.'

Since there is no sight of a 'game-changer', if this is the position of the French and possibly the Finns, whose PM said yesterday he can see no reason for an extension (at least he has commonsense unlike the Pro-EU lobby in the UK),  leaving by default 31 October 2019 could still be on the table.   I will not be holding my breath as we all know how unreliable the French are!

Yesterdays UK PMI came in at slightly over 50 which indicates the Service Sector is still expanding, so no recession yet and now BOE have said 'No-deal" will not be as bad as they feared as both the EU and UK have prepared well for such an event.

However the PM needs to rid himself of the 'attack dog' called Dominic Cummings, who by all accounts is a very unpleasant character and I think will alienate moderate Conservatives, who I believe are in the majority with the Party of which I have been a member since 1959 when I first joined.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

So you cant even admit when you are completely wrong. Sad.

This last comment puts you in the category of desperate. Go on man up and say it. It won't hurt.  I will help you so you can cut and paste below.

My comment that half of Boris Johnson's friends voted against him was a complete lie. I wasn't intending to spread lies or falsehoods. I am sorry.

Bulldog Boris shot down by a Junker and half his own side and now so wounded he cant even win a vote of no confidence in himself Tick

Think you will find Junker and co are one half the Brits are the other half of the impasse hence Junker and half his own side.    Tick

I see you like trolling through Brexit post lumping them all together and putting your some kind of Brexit guru spin on things like you can change and influence outcomes from your sofa but the one factually correct thing is no one knows what's correct and what's not in this argument there has been no Brexit before. Tick

You could of corse say I'm very sorry for taking things out of context adding words that went there for my own enjoyment not being the only one that watches the news and only being an expert in my own front room ???? Tock    

• Haha 1

why wasting time with a snap GE it would be easier and get faster results submitting a second referendum, now people know the ins & outs of the brexit implications, propose a second referendum with 3 choices, 1- no deal and exit 2 - exit with deal 3 - no exit, cancel article 50 after the results than call for a GE but stop the "circus" at house of commons, from an outsider point of view, it's looking very bad and whatever happens it will have repercussions in the future for the UK's politics/democracy credibility, the damage that has been done will take long  or very long time to repair outside and inside UK

• Like 2