How much worse is it than 20 years ago?

sidjameson

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

Hard to disagree with this.  I would add the immigration and reporting stuff is really getting out of hand.  My first visit was in 2004, 15 years ago now to this day, and I thought the place rocked.  I so miss the low seasons and then a few months of high seasons were OK.     Went downhill  after the Thaksin coup as the general feeling of being in a gilded cage appeared.  Then the mass exodus to Pattaya after the Bangkok Floods.  The intermediate Russian surge didn't help the place.  Way too much being built up and condos galore jamming the skyline.

Meanwhile, everywhere else except Pattaya...

1 hour ago, jvs said:

Could you buy a 50" Tv twenty years ago?

He already said he couldn't.

20 years ago, I paid 500 baht for a 24/7 sexy companion who did all for me.

When I was a freshie and asked what I could do with her, she told me " You can do everything you want with me, you're paying for it". Fair offer. ( Lol) No perverted thoughts, please!)

The bar fine was as little as 120 baht, but please do your own math how cheap that was.

If I hear/ meet/ talk to women who're asking for 2 to 3,000 baht for short time on a dentist chair, I start laughing at her.

I didn't come to Thailand to pay for overpriced sex workers. 

But I'm happily married for 17 years and do not need such "I love you too much" women anymore. Especially not after they had 25 short time customers on that particular day without using a condom.

Inexperienced guys might think that they're doing a great job with such an overloaded chick, not knowing that, but I won't go into details now. 

I actually came here for the beautiful temples, but soon figured out that there's something else that occupied my interest. And it still does. 

Take life as it is. 

Edited by Isaanbiker

6 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

20 years ago, I paid 500 baht for a 24/7 sexy companion who did all for me.

When I was a freshie and asked what I could do with her, she told me " You can do everything you want with me, you're paying for it". Fair offer. ( Lol) No perverted thoughts, please!)

The bar fine was as little as 120 baht, but please do your own math how cheap that was.

If I hear/ meet/ talk to women who're asking for 2 to 3,000 baht for short time on a dentist chair, I start laughing at her.

I didn't come to Thailand to pay for overpriced sex workers. 

But I'm happily married for 17 years and do not need such "I love you too much" women anymore. Especially not after they had 25 short time customers on that particular day. 

I actually came here for the beautiful temples, but soon figured out that there's something eslee that occupied my interest. 

Take life as it is. 

your sex life should be personal .

are any posters interested in how much he paid prostitutes 20 years ago and what he could do to them ?

i find it weird reading about it

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

your sex life should be personal .

are any posters interested in how much he paid prostitutes 20 years ago and what he could do to them ?

i find it weird reading about it

Did you not read the topic?

What did I tell you about my sex life?

20 years ago it was only 500 baht to stay with a girl 24/7. How can you be offended by that?

I'd never have thought that you'd react like that, sorry. 

You seem to be one of these posters who try to stop threads when they become interesting. 

Have you been in Thailand 20 years ago? I pretty much doubt it. 

Discuss the topic and stop criticizing others who might know a lot more than you do. 

Edited by Isaanbiker

6 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Did you not read the topic?

What did I tell you about my sex life?

20 years ago it was only 500 baht to stay with a girl 24/7. How can you be offended by that?

I'd never have thought that you'd react like that, sorry. 

not offended at all , just bored about reading about posters talking about themselves having sex.

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

not offended at all , just bored about reading about posters talking about themselves having sex.

Talking about themselves having sex? I was talking about Pattaya 20 years ago. Not about my sex life, that's my privacy. 

That's my input to it, hope that somebody will appreciate it I'm out of here. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Strongly echo the same sentiment as I now pass 62.  Finances are good, no longer able to jump over the hood of cars, or do a jumping back turning kick into the punching bag as I could in my Tae Kwon Do years.  Finances are good.  So many friends have gone or lost contact with over the years as I moved out from home town. 

sux ass, my freakin ribs gets dislocated if i even approach

a bag, everything hurts, i cant move fast, literally,

yet here i linger around for no good reason

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If memory serves he currency exchange rate against the US dollar is actually a better now than it was  20 years ago...and vastly better than it was say 23 years ago, pre "Thaitanic". (I remember well as I built my house with the baht at 25, only to have it devalue significantly against the dollar right after the work was finished which was mid 1997).

Of course it is worse now for the British pound but that is true against all currencies and  due to devaluation of the pound.

I think you are right on the other counts, though.

However there have been  improvements especially for those of us living out in the boondocks:

- much more reliable electricity supply (blackouts and undervoltage were chronic problems 20 years ago, now very rare)

- much faster and more widely available internet connection, boroadband now posisble almost everywhere. Even 7 years ago, I couldn't get it.

- greater availability of consumer goods: 20 years ago I had to drive 4-5 hours roundtrip just to get to a Tesco or Big C. Now have both, and Robinsoms and HomePro, in the province.  And Lazada!!!

In early 2005 you got over 41 baht to the dollar. The baht then rose and in 2009 it again fell to less than 35 baht to a dollar. In 2016 once again the baht dropped to over 35 baht to the US dollar. So, who knows? It could very well drop again. Assuming the mighty dollar does not collapse due to inane policy, and a total lack of negotiating skill on the part of the redhead. 

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

People talked about AIDS. But how many heterosexuals were infected? As far as I know very few.

It was still the "gay" disease in the 80s.  By the 90s, it was becoming equal opportunity.  

Late 80s, Kenya, we were given sheepskin condoms.  A few years later, we heard they were ineffective at preventing transmission of AIDS.  I never dipped my s**t in Africa, but guys I know did, and then we went to Thailand.  Meh.  Wrap it up, boys.....

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not sure about that, approaching 64, and the years after 60 haven't been that great.

Nothing in particular to complain about, just nothing left I want to do, and I can feel illness and infirmity approaching.

I'm just 50.  The niggly things are setting in.  Still have time to go, of course, but fer fuke's sake, is this the trajectory? ????  (rhetorical question).

22 hours ago, 55Jay said:

AIDS was in full swing 20 years ago, 1999. 

I know, that seems like last week, not 20 years ago. ????

That is why I wrote - as a reply to a post asking "what is better today" - that there is "less paranoia about AIDS".

Today there is less paranoia about AIDS than there was 20 years ago.

Edited by JackGats
  • Like 1