Most Memorable Shot You've Ever Played...

Jim's_a_Thai_Fox

Hey,

thought it might be nice to share a few positive past experiences - (they're too few and far between for me on the golf course :o )

So, what is the most memorable shot you've hit, and more interestingly, why? Was it simply a great shot, a particularly tough hole, or tricky match play or competition conditions.... or even a Hole in 1.

For me, the one that most comes to mind was on my second ever round, using rental clubs:

Oadby Golf course in Leiecster, UK (9 holes inside the horse racing track)

Second shot on a Par 4, about 220yds left.

Tee shot went down the right, I was in the light rough. Took a five wood :D and proceeded to tell my mate the shot I was going to hit - I was going to start it out left towards the trees, then fade it into the green, angling the approach so that the ball pitched just between the two bunkers guarding the front entrance to the green and role it to within a foot of the flag.

I then proceeded to do almost exactly that, except the ball finished about 5 ft away. :D

Can't remember if i made birdy, but seriously doubt it given my putting. :D

So, let's hear 'em...

Jim

I can remember my most memorable shot - I'd been on a round with my brother and we were neck and neck on the last hole.

As I set up my shot and teed off I remembered thinking how great it would be to shut him up - he always beat me.

Would you believe it, I got a hole-in one!!

That would be more impressive had I not been 10 years old, playing at the crazy golf in Inverness!

Hey,

thought it might be nice to share a few positive past experiences - (they're too few and far between for me on the golf course :o )

So, what is the most memorable shot you've hit, and more interestingly, why? Was it simply a great shot, a particularly tough hole, or tricky match play or competition conditions.... or even a Hole in 1.

For me, the one that most comes to mind was on my second ever round, using rental clubs:

Tee shot went down the right, I was in the light rough. Took a five wood :D and proceeded to tell my mate the shot I was going to hit - I was going to start it out left towards the trees, then fade it into the green, angling the approach so that the ball pitched just between the two bunkers guarding the front entrance to the green and role it to within a foot of the flag.

I then proceeded to do almost exactly that, except the ball finished about 5 ft away. :D

So, let's hear 'em...

Jim

More of a hole than a shot. Having started the first hole with a par, then came the 2nd hole at Eastern Star in Rayong. Option to either to straight (safe route) or over the trees (needed height, length, not to mention confidence). Hit is as clean as I ever have and landed 315 yards out. Fairway was dry, so undoubtedly got a helpful roll, but who cares! Then hit a 60 degree wedge to within 3 inches for a tap in birdie. The rest of the round was doggy doo, but who dwells on that. Well the caddy I suppose. I agreed to give her THB 50 for every birdie I made and after 2 holes she was thinking "paydirt". Boy did I disappoint her. :D

Yesterday at Plutalong, South course first hole. from Tee hit 200 yards to left rough, 2nd shot 5 wood went 2 yards, 3rd shot 5 wood again about 180 yards, back in fairway. 170 yards out took favorite 7 wood (good for 150-160 yards) caddy said OK even with next group still on green around the pin. Well I nailed it, not only long but surprisinly straight at the pin. Caddy about died with humilation, I jumped in cart waiing and apoloizing but elevated green I thought I went through them and over the green, when we got up top it was 18" from the cup for a tap in. I called it a bogey and caddy corrected me, no sir that was par. No, I said I had 4 on 1 putt, she said I was right but it was a par 5 hole. I'm sure it will be a long, long time before I par a par 5 hole again with one of my shots only going 2 yards.

Well when you average less than 1 par per round and I started out with one, then pared the par 3 I was on my way to what could have been my best round ever, at least my first round <100 in 6 months but the golf Gods were against me, on the 7th hole thunder in distance, 8th tee I hit a nice drive and the skies opened up, never seen rain like that in 4 years in Thailand, blowing horizontal rainfall for over an hour, we were drenched hear to toe even though we had umbrellas and sat in raid shanty for the hour.

Make a long story short they closed the course for the rest of the day and my great round did not go down to posterity.

Edited by bob4you

Hey,

So, let's hear 'em...

Jim

Jim, I know the course well.

One of my best shots was at the Humberstone Heights. The par three. First two guys hit theirs in the water.

I then hit mine a just past the hole and spun back and stopped a foot from the hole.

I had a 400 yard drive off the tee at the course near Bitec in Bangkok and the ball ended up back within 10 feet of me. There is a road that runs alongside of the fairway. My ball landed in the center of the road and just kept bouncing. I saw a motorcycle driver swerve and then turn around. He then turned back around and stopped on the road on the other side of the fence. He threw the ball at me, jumped back on his motorcycle and drove off. :o

Hey,

So, let's hear 'em...

Jim

Jim, I know the course well.

One of my best shots was at the Humberstone Heights. The par three. First two guys hit theirs in the water.

I then hit mine a just past the hole and spun back and stopped a foot from the hole.

Mr Lucifer, just to digress slightly, I saw one of the worst ever shots played at Humberstone Heights.

My friend tee'd up on the first, a few people heading off after us were obviously watching and a few members having a beer upstairs on the gantry... ppor lad must have been nervous. His first shot span off right at 70 deg, shooting over the hedge and landing on the 18th green.

Sh*t can happen on the first, we've all been there, so mai pen rai. "take another", we say, smirking.

However, his 2nd shot was even worse. This time, he failed to connect with the ball and his driver slipped out of his grip on his follow through and he managed to 'hammer throw' it over the driving range netting that was located about 70 yards over his left shoulder and is at least about 60 yards tall. :D

I don't remember his third as I was belly laughing so much and prostrate on the ground. :bah:

When i was about 13 or 14 i was playing the 8th hole on a Par 3 course in Marin County California - the pin was about 160 yards away on a green that sloped right to left - i hit a towering 6 iron and watched in amazement as the ball hit the green and rolled into the cup - the only problem was that the slice i hit went into the 9th hole to my embarassment, not into the 8th. I still remember the look i got from the couple putting on the green at the time :o:D:D

This is not one single shot, but three shots , all with a driver by my good friend here in Kanchanaburi.

The Blue Saphire course has a ridiculously long 600 yard plus hole dogleg left, good drive good second, but the third was memorable uphill with the driver, land ed 3 feet from hole and he sank the putt.

We got drunk for a week on that memory :D

For myself it took me 32 years of golfing before my first Hole in One. ( In Thailand ) :o

My most memorable shot was probably at the old Siam Country Club, sixth hole, number 1 handicap. More due to the circumstances than anything else.

I had suffered through five holes playing behind four Koreans. They finally let me through on the 6th when they couldn't find one of their tee shots on the hole. I hit my tee shot after they waved me forward, got to my ball and hit a six iron from 150 yards to the uphill, blind, green.

One of them even asked me to play quickly so I wouldn't hold them up.

We got to the green and I had holed out for an eagle two. I sent my caddy back to ask them if that was quick enough.

A couple more holes that I recall fondly are the 5th and 17th at the Old Course, St. Andrews. The 5th because of a good drive, good 5 iron and a one putt for eagle on the 514 yard par 5.

The 17th for a chip in from the road to make a stunning 7. The 17th is considered one of the hardest par 4s in the world and it usually lives up to it's reputation. I had reached the green in two and had a putt for birdie, although it was probably a 60 footer from the bottom of the green. I didn't hit it hard enough and it ran into the Road Hole Bunker, my 3rd shot but 1st putt. My fourth shot remained in the bunker with no shot to move it forward to the hole. I then pitched sideways out of the bunker (my 5th shot) back onto the green where I had originally been in two. Determined not to hit my 6th shot (2nd putt) into the bunker again, I putted it completely across the green and onto the road behind the green. My 7th and final shot went into the hole for a triple bogey. To recap, I was on the green in regulation (2), had the regulation 2 putts and had a triple bogey.

Oh, in addition, this was a couple of days after an Open was played there, the viewing stands were still up and there were probably 200 people watching golfers come through. I got a really nice round of applause when the ball fell in the hole.

Ben Crenshaw was asked several years ago why the Road Hole (17th) was such a hard par four. His answer..."Because it's a par five!"

Apart from all the times ive put my 5 wood within 2 yards of the cup from 200 yards out, id have to say it was my only eagle :o

It was the 1st hole, par 5 at Delaware Springs Country Club in Burnet, TX. A slight dog leg to the lfet with a creek about 150 yards in front of the green running from right to lfet.

First shot was a shitty 180 yard slice into the trees.

Second shot I hit a fluke with my 5 wood, it was a ripper and it just managed to clear the creek.

Third shot, I was about 80 yards out, I pulled out the Cleveland SW and chiped it to land short of the pin. I hit it way to hard, but it took one bounce and landed in the cup!

If it didn't go in the cup, it would of been over the green for sure.

I yell out "###### yeah" and all the yanks I was palying with looked at me like "why did he say ######, he just got an eagle" hahaha!

This is an easy one for me. No. 14 on my home course is a relatively short par 5 with a sharp dog leg right. I hit my drive through the turn and was sitting in the first cut of rough about 210 yards out. I hit a seven-wood that I saw hit the green but I wasn't sure if it held or went over the back. I didn't see it as I approached the green, and my playing partners were looking for it as well. We finally found it--at the bottom of the cup. So although I've never had a hole-in-one, the double eagle (nee albatross) is statiscally a more rare feat. I was pretty stoked!

Dunno about most memorable shot, but i've a putt that'll stick in my mind.

13th hole of "YCDC Silvery" here in Yangon. Managed to get on the right side of the green on my second shot. Because of the wicked slope the ball ended up in the far left corner of the green. Took the putt and the ball took a u-turn to hole it, lucky birdie...my caddie was most impressed - they bet on us!

The third hole at Saticoy County Club in Somis, CA. It's a par 4, 420 yards or so and slight up hill. I hit a nice drive that left a 7 iron to the green from about 160 out. I was taking lessons aat the time and the pro was trying to get me to hit the ball from right to left. I hit the ball absolutely perfect, even if it hadn't gone in the hole, just the flight of the ball was amazing. It did go in, and I had an eagle 2.

Because I've played gof for a long time, I'd like to add the 8th hole of Willow Park GC in Castro Valley, CA. I was playing poorly but hit a decent wedge into this par 4 and made my birdie. I followed that up with 4 more birdies in a row, for my personal best of 5 birdies in a row and shot a 3 under par 33 on the back 9.

• 3 months later...

Easy choice for me.

December 1986, playing the TPC at Sawgrass in Jacksonville FL for the first and only time. (back in the days when a round of golf there was affordable)

Having a miserable day, it is cold and rainy and I had just exceeded 100 strokes after dumping a ball into the water on my approach to the par 5 16th.

All was quickly forgotten on the famous island green par 3 17th, as I hit a nice smooth 3/4 7-iron exactly the way I wanted it, stiff to 2 feet and then hit the back of the cup for a birdie.

(Before you ask, yes, the shot was on the first and only ball! :o )

Every time I see a pro hit one into the drink on that hole, I just sit back, smile and think back to that birdie !!!

9 iron, 135 yards, 17th hole TPC Sawgrass (home of the Players Championship), tee shot came to rest on the lip of the hole, half a revolution from a hole in one on arguably the most famous par 3 in the world.

5 iron, 171 yards into the stiff breeze at Paradise Valley Golf Course 3rd hole for my first ace. I did not believe it till my wife took it out of the hole, I saw it rolling and it just vanished.

October the 2nd 2003 at Cikarang golf club (40 km outside Jakarta).

A big tournament (140 participants).

Hole no 2 ,distance 164 mtr.I made my first( and only) hole in one :o

I used a wood 5.

At that time my handicap was 28.

Something you never forget.

This is not about just one shot, but about the last nine holes that I will NEVER forget.

I had turned up at my club in south Manchester in the UK, to play in the wednesday rollup and got drawn with a guy off 26 - nice guy but hopeless golfer ; I was playing off 12 at the time.

The first nine holes were mediocre but I managed to put a few points on the card for us. The opponents were playing well and had put together a reasonable score and were rubbing our noses in it as we got to the 10th - a 170yard par 3. I opened my mouth and said that we were "Going to set about them" peels of laughter!! :D

The golfing gods came to my rescue and I proceeded to score not one but FIVE consecutive 3's :o at which point the ex Captain, who was one of the opponents stated that "If you get another F.....g 3 I swear that I will kill you" I then went bogey, bogey, par 3 and finished the day off by holing a wedge for an eagle 2 :D at the 18th. My total gross for the last nine holes 31 and my partner and I took the money in the rollup by a mile --he never let a day go by whenever I met him again to remind me what a wonderful day he had had playing that rollup and he contributed 2 points to the total score, but boy were we elated when we walked into the clubhouse - What a day !! I'm sure that I will NEVER manage that kind of score again as long as I live--- but it's the stuff of golfing dreams for an amateur like myself. It makes up for all the days when you wonder if you should just hang up the clubs forever, but as Winston Churchill said --NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP.

Has to be on My own home course St Mellion, Cornwall.

There are two courses there the old course which is a lovely pleasant course to play and the Nicklaus course which is an absolute beast. I can seriously say that when the weather comes in, it is a real severe test, and during the years that the B & H was held there I wittnessed some pro's getting in all sorts of trouble. In 1992 Parnavick ended up jumping in the lake on the 18th after a disasterous round.

Anyway, back to the story, I was playing a four ball on a thursday afternoon during the autumn of 92, so there always a bit of potential for bad weather. Anyway, I'd had what one can only describe as a very mixed round, and I was totally demoralised coming up to the 18th, which is a Par 4 470 yard dog leg, with water protecting the green. Strangely enough I'd managed to play a decent tee shot (it was straight), one of the few that day, and managed to put the second shot into a nice position about 120 yrds from the green, but with the hole placed at the front of the green, not the easiest shot to play into. Anyway, as I got to play my approach the club pro and a couple of other memebers were at the back of ther green watching. Oh shit, I'm thinking, nows the time to look a prat. Anyway, I thought what the hel_l, got the 9 iron out and gave it a rip. It felt sweet, and I could see it heading straight for the pin, just wondering if I'd got enough on it. Anyway it landed about a foot from the pin and bit. Althougth only a Par, I can still remeber that one.

Heading back into the club house my play was complimented on by those that had witnessed that last shot, a few others in the bar had seen it as well. My friends though had seen the rest of the round and weren't so complimentary. But it was a great evening talking about that shot.