Charity Work In Bangkok

simon43

I'm staying in BKK whilst my wife undergoes some medical treatments. It actually means that most of my days are completely free. Rather than just jogging around Lumpini Park all day, it would be nice to give help to others less fortunate than me. (Yes, I know you need a WP to work for free, I'll worry about that point).

I called the Phayathai Babies Home, but they (fortunately) had many student volunteers helping.

I'm not fussed at what I do. I speak/read/write Thai reasonably well and get on fine with kids etc.

Anyone need a free pair of hands? :o

Simon

As ever Simon your intentions are admirable and I guess keeping busy is something that's needed for you, but considering the situation with your wife don't you think you should just slow down for a bit before it all gets a bit much. :o

Saying that perhaps contacting Mobi D'ark would be an idea as I think he also helps with a charity in Pattaya and maybe able to point you in the right direction. :D

:o:) The only slowing down that I need to do is with this jogging!!

Seriously, the last thing that I want to do is to sit and 'moan' all day about my situation. The best thing that I can do is to keep my mind and body occupied. If by doing that, I can help others, then that is reward enough.

Yes, I know about the Pattaya charity, but I need to stay in BKK. I'll PM Mobi anyway.

Simon

PS - Thanks for your concern!! I am now able to jog round Lumpini Park without requiring medical assistance.....

The mercy centre in Khlong Toey or Pakkred orphanage are always looking for help, for alternatives to those, try looking on the BAMBI website, they often have stuff going on.

Hope it's all getting better now (did you get my PM?)

Leisurely

You could try an Al-anon meeting (schedules online) for people with friends and loved ones with alcohol and drug problems. I'm sure your experience could help them out. Really, what about trying Dan out at PSI. What do you have to lose?

Simon, with all the stuff you've had to put up with over the last few months, why would you want to add to your woes by taking the risk of doing charity work without a work permit.

Don't get me wrong, but there seems to be a direct correlation between the amount of effort you make to be a decent guy, and the amount of hassle it brings you in return.

here's a tip. Buy some golf clubs and relax.

Golf??!!!! Jeez - I can't stand golf. Give me a 12 bore and several defenceless pheasant to kill. Much more enjoyable....

Simon

PS - Anyway, I never said that I was going to work without a WP!

You might stop by Holy Redemeer Catholic Church and offer your services to them. They are always doing some kind of charity work and maybe they could find something for you. They are located at the end of Soi Ruamrudee which is off Ploenchit. It's actually a short "jog" from Lupini Park.