Motorcycle Safety In Thailand

jeebusjones

I bought a motorcycle a few months ago. It's my first bike, so I went small and chose a 100cc Honda Wave. I think it's perfect for riding in Bangkok, especially during heavy traffic jams.

So far, I've not had any problems riding (aside from one nasty police blockade), or even any close calls. I actually feel somewhat safe riding in the middle of the city, as most people are forced to go relatively slow due to the heavy traffic.

Sometimes I take the bike a bit further out onto Bangna Trad Road, and this does make me feel a bit uncomfortable. Too many huge trucks and buses flying at breakneck speeds.

I'm just interested to know what other motorcycle riders think about bike safety in Thailand. My own opinion is that if you ride slowly (enough to keep up with traffic), carefully and expect the worst from everyone, you should be fine. What about you? Have you ever come off? Any close calls?

I used to ride an 1951 BSA A7 and a 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, stoned out of my head in Northern California, back in the day. Never had an accident. 30 years later in Thailand, I have to admit, with the wife's nodding head, that I suck as a motorbike rider. I've had one tremendous wipe out and emergency room visit all due to my not watching where I was going in the middle of nowhere (who put that hole in the middle of the road?). I try not to ride those little Japanese dogs, they bite hard! On most days, it's just cars and airplanes for me!

More than once in Thailand, and I basically started on a 700 Triumph dragster, when I was a youngster. As el kangorito just mentioned, it is a full time job, riding a bike, especially in Thailand. Nothing - your family, your job, the currency exchange ratio, your sex life - nothing else matters when you're at the handlebars of those suicide machines.

You may not fall down until year 2579, or you may fall down today. Let's hope not.

Driving out to do an interview, my wife was my passenger and we carrying a bunch of video and still photography equipment. My CBR 150 was pretty loaded down. Coming around a curve on Sukhamvit, a car rolled out of a parking lot and right into our path. I was doing between 80 and a 100Km. I lay on both brakes full, so I must have cut some of my speed but we smacked into the Mercedes in the front quarter panel. I crushed in the driver’s door with my shoulder, and then the car rolled over my foot. My wife and the bike went over the car (I doubted this until I saw the marks later where my bike went across the roof) When I got up the car was sitting halfway across the road, and my wife was yelling at the car. She didn’t know there was no driver. My wife was uninjured; somehow the well packed equipment was fine too (except the tripod). But I was doing my best not to pass out from pain. When I knew I had a buddy coming to sort it all out, I sat down and let the ambulance come and get me.

The owner of the car saw it happen and he was real good about it. I think he felt pretty bad for not setting the parking brake. He covered my pain pills, X-ray, and ambulance ride. I came out with no major issues and my bike needed 400 baht worth of repairs. Pretty miraculous if you ask me.

I have come off bikes many times in the west ,due to diesel on the road or ice .So far have not come off in Thailand ,touch wood .I do pay a lot of attention to my riding in Thailand due to the number of accidents i have seen there first hand .Some fatal .

Never in 15 years had any accidents (but quite a few close calls). Y'got to keep your eyes open at all time, no dreaming. Driving in Thailand is a bit like playing chess, you always have to try to be as many steps ahead of the opponent as possible. Glide with the stream, if you go very slow you are provoking others to pass you, perhaps in a dangerous way. Never expect a blinking light or lack of same means anything. Just for a start :o

Twice. Once down a steep dirt road on Samui when I hit the front brake. Mea culpa. The second time in Pai I had to lay it down to avoid a head on with some ###### coming at me in my lane around a blind curve in the rain, who as usual sped away. Sometimes I think the stupidest f#lks :o on the planet live here...but today everything is OK! Live on ... if you can.

...The owner of the car saw it happen and he was real good about it. I think he felt pretty bad for not setting the parking brake. He covered my pain pills, X-ray, and ambulance ride. I came out with no major issues and my bike needed 400 baht worth of repairs. Pretty miraculous if you ask me.

That's a pretty crazy story. The owner of the car should have paid for everything. What an idiot. Where exactly did this happen?

One day going to Mae Sai (Myanmar border)with my motorbike... one calf managed to escape from a gate and went in the middle of the street, the car just before me smashed in to the poor beast, which spinned in the air like a leaf..RIP.

Half an hour later starts raining, red traffic light, a big truck comes full speed, hit the breaks and like in a movie slow motion, drifts left and right , smashes against a light pole and flips up side down.

Moral of the story, 5 seconds made the difference between life and death, now I go by big fat bus :o

Edited by KhunMarco

i also got this front brak problem once :o

otherwise i still think it as safe as anything here if you careful and expect the worse from the other...as that is what mostly happen. I dont ride fast, at least with wife and kid behind not. And have to admit sometimes just laugh on things I see on the road, other times swear...bad or not, make me feel better :D

After a few thousand kms over the past 8 months or so, have yet to have a real accident. Just watch the cars and how they drive - even if they don't indicate, they often show indication of changing lanes, ie. leaning over and trying to see if they can change, or swerving a bit in that direction.

Try not to drive on the left side of buses (or behind, given the horrible exhaust), and keep an eye ahead for bus stops, when they suddenly swerve left, sometimes by 2 lanes, with no indication or notice, nor care for bikes in the left lane.

I see it as everyone just goes and hopes for the best - when a car is turning onto the road in front of you, even when you are but 10m behind it, it will still turn and expect you to slow down. If you see a car trying to turn, then just expect it to try and turn.

I remember being really scared riding before, sometimes I break out into a cold sweat when a car misses me by inches, but generally after a while, you can read the flow of traffic better and predict what cars will do.

However, I heard about a friend of a friend who was in an accident on a bike, and later his leg got so infected that he had to amputate. That made me ride more carefully, that's for sure. (Apologies to the person who was in this accident if he objects to being mentioned.)

Look ahead and to every side, as far as possible, and keep scanning. Anticipate or expect anything. I've encountered dogs, bison, moose, cattle, deer, elephant, and horse (not all in Thailand, not all on a bike) just blocking the road. Met a guy in West Texas who got a deer antler in his knee, when riding a bike. Ouch.

Coming around a curve on Sukhamvit, a car rolled out of a parking lot and right into our path. I was doing between 80 and a 100Km. I lay on both brakes full, so I must have cut some of my speed but we smacked into the Mercedes in the front quarter panel.

I was gonna mention something to the OP and Canuckamuck has demonstrated it here. My friends drive big bikes in Bangkok, R1s and Ninjas and the like. They always say they are far safer on these bikes because they have a lot more efficient brakes. A lot of the brakes on these little 125/150 cc things just aren't good enough for a sudden stop are they? Anyway, thats something they always tell me. Plus I guess on a bigger bike you have that much more acceleration should you need to move out of the way quickly.

I'd love to ride in Bangkok,but IMO too much risk, only takes one drunk car driver and you're dead. Out in the countryside I love it though.

Went down trying to warn another rider of slick road ahead. It was a downhill stretch of road slick with oil, fresh after rain too.

She was speeding on her motorbike. I tried to catch up with her to tell her to slow down. Didn't catch her in time and didn't give up (not smart on my part).

She went down. And then I went down. Both bikes smashed badly against the rails. Riders pretty banged up, bleeding and well-lacerated, but no lasting damage.

Pure luck really.

This after 15 yrs of riding everywhere.

I bought a motorcycle a few months ago. It's my first bike, so I went small and chose a 100cc Honda Wave. I think it's perfect for riding in Bangkok, especially during heavy traffic jams.

So far, I've not had any problems riding (aside from one nasty police blockade), or even any close calls. I actually feel somewhat safe riding in the middle of the city, as most people are forced to go relatively slow due to the heavy traffic.

Sometimes I take the bike a bit further out onto Bangna Trad Road, and this does make me feel a bit uncomfortable. Too many huge trucks and buses flying at breakneck speeds.

I'm just interested to know what other motorcycle riders think about bike safety in Thailand. My own opinion is that if you ride slowly (enough to keep up with traffic), carefully and expect the worst from everyone, you should be fine. What about you? Have you ever come off? Any close calls?

Fair play to you, I have been here in Bangkok for a while, and am constantly thinking of ways to avoid the friday evening rush hour bus ride back from the office. I would like to get a motorbike, but even on Th Phahonyothin the white spray paint and broken helmets and spilled brains dont seem to put me off buying the 'monster' honda dream I have my eye on for 2 months. I used to drive in London everyday, but the streets here seem a completely different 'ball-game' and I am sure you will agree.

Anyway I will buy that 'bike and take my chances in the mainstream madness that is Bangkok traffic, a monster has to be tamed sometimes, even if it is a 120cc chicken chaser. See you at the roadblock.

KD :o

I'm wondering how much protective gear do you people who ride around Thailand wear?

I do wear a proper helmet .Its the Index brand made in Thailand and cost me 1000 baht .Notice how most Moto Taxi drivers also wear proper helmets .

The cheap 150 baht helmets would be near useless in an accident .It a bit of a laugh ,the BIB going around ,with their helmets not even buckled shut.

I had a bad smash in Samui last year, ended up in hospital and an operation - not nice. The problem? A big hole in the road, it was twilight, I was not going fast. If I wasn't wearing my helmet I might be dead. So always wear a crash helmet and drive carefully and NEVER drink alcohol. Life's too short to shorten it even more...

Coming around a curve on Sukhamvit, a car rolled out of a parking lot and right into our path. I was doing between 80 and a 100Km. I lay on both brakes full, so I must have cut some of my speed but we smacked into the Mercedes in the front quarter panel.

I was gonna mention something to the OP and Canuckamuck has demonstrated it here. My friends drive big bikes in Bangkok, R1s and Ninjas and the like. They always say they are far safer on these bikes because they have a lot more efficient brakes. A lot of the brakes on these little 125/150 cc things just aren't good enough for a sudden stop are they? Anyway, thats something they always tell me. Plus I guess on a bigger bike you have that much more acceleration should you need to move out of the way quickly.

I'd love to ride in Bangkok,but IMO too much risk, only takes one drunk car driver and you're dead. Out in the countryside I love it though.

Big bike wouldn't have made a difference here. Both my wheels were locked up but I only had a second before we hit. My first assumption was that the car had a driver and it would stop at the edge of the road, not proceed into high speed traffic. When the car kept going I was screwed. I was impressed I even got on the brakes in time.

I have found that the CBR brakes are very strong and easy to get the feel for. Other little Thai bikes I have tried have lousy brakes

Touch wood I have only been in one motorcycle accident in Thailand. Heading off to a 'dancing show' in Issan on the backroads, the road surface changed from good bitumen to pot-holed bitumen to gravel without any warning signs.

The other half slowed down and the bike fish-tailed and landed on top me me - fortunately it was a Honda Wave. I was going to wear my shoes - but silly me just had a pair of thongs (flip-flops) on my feet.

I ended up with a bit of gravel rash and a cut toe. Two locals appeared from nowhere and helped me up and apologised for the state of the road (not their fault) and even offered to take us to the show. The bike was okay, so we declined the offer and I insisted on giving them 100 baht each for their help.

I had a few stitches in my big toe at the Government Hospital (after the show was over). Cost me 80 baht at the hospital.

I still have to insist the other half wears his helmet any time he uses the bike. The police in the village never seem to pick anybody up for not wearing a helmet. It seems that helmet use is only compulsory in 'big towns' according to the local police.

Peter

This is something I definitely need to know more about. I'd actually heard the opposite, that the breaks on the smaller bikes were too powerful for the bike, and so it was easy to lock them and come off.

My bike has a drum brake on the back tire and a disc brake on the front. I actually did come off my bike once (in Laos, a rental) when I stupidly locked the front tire from braking too hard. Now I generally apply gentle but steady pressure on the front brake handle, and a bit firmer pressure on the back brake. This, again, for a 100cc honda wave. I pretty much never go over 80kph.

Been riding in Thailand since 1997, and now in 2007 I've decided to stop, for now anyway. As previously posted, the driving culture in Thailand has dramatically changed, and the result is increased danger to bikers. I love my bike and I love riding, but the sheer number of incidents per trip is astounding, and scary. Add to the mixture all the traffic cops who actively discriminate bikers (esp. bigger bikes), and drivers who believe tail-gating is in the highway code, and what you realise is, despite a passion for bikes, it's not worth dying on the roads of Thailand for.

My 25 satangs worth!

We drive on the other side of the road in the Philippines, so I sorta get confused with the turns when I am somewhat loaded.

Anyway, I turned the wrong way once when I was in Koh Samet. I busted my eyes, saw exploding stars, and got eight stitches (in my right eyelid). Good thing the scar is 99% invisible NOW. Boy!

Now, I ain't a big fun of motorcycles, but I still love to dream (about emmmm).

GF

We drive on the other side of the road in the Philippines, so I sorta get confused with the turns when I am somewhat loaded.

Anyway, I turned the wrong way once when I was in Koh Samet. I busted my eyes, saw exploding stars, and got eight stitches (in my right eyelid). Good thing the scar is 99% invisible NOW. Boy!

Now, I ain't a big fun of motorcycles, but I still love to dream (about emmmm).

GF

This sum's it up for me also, although no accidents, keeping it on the correct side is still a problem. :o

I'm wondering how much protective gear do you people who ride around Thailand wear?

I do wear a proper helmet .Its the Index brand made in Thailand and cost me 1000 baht .Notice how most Moto Taxi drivers also wear proper helmets .

The cheap 150 baht helmets would be near useless in an accident .It a bit of a laugh ,the BIB going around ,with their helmets not even buckled shut.

hate to break it to you but a 1000 baht helmet isn't going to do you that much good. get a real helmet shoei, arai etc, i have seen the index after a small knock. you might as well have just spent the 150 baht

Edited by t.s

I wonder about the front brake, too. On my CBR150 (which another poster said has a front brake that's easier to control than the little scooters), I use the front brake very heavily, and the rear disk also, and I've never had the bike try to flip over (except when we hit the dog and Nok Lek flew in a high arc over the dog). After 42,000 km of hard use, all the brake pads still have some material left in them. Many's the time when I started applying both brakes, and then hit them very hard, and the front never skidded. The back tire tends to skid a bit to one side when I clamp down too hard, which I can always control.

The Index brand does look far better than the 500 baht cheapies, and if you can't go all the way up to Shoei or Arai, you might find something in-between (or bring it from a Western country).

If you are going to ride a bike then for god's sake invest a little money in a good helmet.

The friend I was speaking about with the R1 had a minor crash a while ago on Koh Chang, tire slipped out on the sand at the side of the road at night or something. He flew quite a distance from the bike though and escaped with a few cuts and bruises on his body but he told me if he didn't have his helmet I wouldn't be talking to him on the phone because it really saved his life that day.

It's worth spending the money on.

I wonder about the front brake, too. On my CBR150 (which another poster said has a front brake that's easier to control than the little scooters), I use the front brake very heavily, and the rear disk also, and I've never had the bike try to flip over (except when we hit the dog and Nok Lek flew in a high arc over the dog). After 42,000 km of hard use, all the brake pads still have some material left in them. Many's the time when I started applying both brakes, and then hit them very hard, and the front never skidded. The back tire tends to skid a bit to one side when I clamp down too hard, which I can always control.

The Index brand does look far better than the 500 baht cheapies, and if you can't go all the way up to Shoei or Arai, you might find something in-between (or bring it from a Western country).

if your front brakes won't lock on your CBR it is likely the pads are a bit polished. 42,000 Km's will do that. Either that or ther's not much left of em. Get the Honda guys to rough up the surface a bit or get some new ones. . I can do a reverse wheelie with mine if I want, I found that out by accident though. A while ago the back pads needed some roughing up.