O/A visa application

Hi Guys, Ive just returned from Thailand from a 90 day trip on a non immigrant O visa and am starting the online process of applying for an O/A based on retirement.

ive signed up to the Thaievisa, site and read through the required documents and needed a little advice.

My doctor is doing my medical on Monday, I have 3 consecutive bank statements from Nationwide, with £23000,00 which converts top more than 800,000.00 Baht but they have also asked for a "Guarantee letter" from the bank, what exactly are they asking for? I thought a guarantee letter was a promise to repay a debt if the original person defaulted on a debt.

I also have a question about the police certificate, ACRO says it covers the whole of the UK but does not cover Scottish convictions, does this mean anyone living in Scotland applies to another agency IE Disclosure Scotland?

Finally as I havent progressed to far with the Thaievisa website, I have 1 more final question, they have asked for flight details, outbound-inbound and flight number.

Why would they expect me to book flights for a 1 year duration if they have already pointed out that if my application is unsuccessful there would be no refund so in theory I could be stuck with tickets I couldnt use unless I am prepared to do border runs, which I have no interest in doing.

thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, brianj1964 said:

but they have also asked for a "Guarantee letter" from the bank, what exactly are they asking for? I thought a guarantee letter was a promise to repay a debt if the original person defaulted on a debt.

The person I spoke to just seemed to go on about... if using a Thai Account the passbook was not enough, must have a letter or statement confirmed by the Bank. I Thought that a UK original POST statement(s) would be enough. I'm interested in that question! I thinking they just want a stamp and sig. from the bank if it's a download, not sure though.

3 hours ago, brianj1964 said:

I also have a question about the police certificate, ACRO says it covers the whole of the UK but does not cover Scottish convictions, does this mean anyone living in Scotland applies to another agency IE Disclosure Scotland?

I was wondering that as well (once in the RT Embassy I had to get my lawyer to give a contact number for a clerk of the court in Scotland, to explain the document was what you obtained In Scotland, and not the English court document that they were initially insistent upon, a long time ago). If they are not asking, and ACRO will issue something to tick the box, I would not think to complicate it.

1) Getting your bank statements stamped and signed / initialled in your local branch will authenticate them. I used a Nationwide statement a few months ago, no guarantee letter was submitted. 

2) Regular ACRO police certificate is all that's required. I doubt the embassy are even aware of the fact the certificates don't cover Scotland.

3) No need for confirmed flights, proposed flight details will be sufficient. A booking site like ebookers or skyscanner will give you flight numbers. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Riojasue said:

We’ve just received our OA Visas yesterday from London. We went to the bank and got them to print out a statement showing the £ equivalent to the 800,000 baht and then the bank stamped it with their branch stamp and signed it. It was accepted by the Thai Embassy for both mine and my husbands application. Initially the bank said they didn’t do this but then one cashier said of course they did and went and got the stamp and it was all done in a minute. BTW we posted our Passport, the barcode and the £10 on Tuesday and both passports with the visa arrived on Friday - excellent service. Hope your application goes well. Sue

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks Sue, Am I correct that once you complete the Thaevisa you print it off, and send it to London and I dont have to make a trip down to visit the embassy in person? How long did the police certificate take? im living with my parents at the moment and would like to get back to Thailand asap