Change passport outside country - Permanent residence

With no answers found in search, I would like to ask this:

What is required for the change of passport when you have PR status? I would assume a non-quota immigrant visa + endorsement that is valid beyond return date, but is there anything else?

Situation: Immigration officers like to push the plastic card with information up to see the passport number clearly on previous page, which has caused some 6-7mm on top of that card to get unglued. Now this is considered "passport damaged" and one airline already gave me a hard time on check-in, despite none of immigration guys saying anything. For the peace of mind I planned to change it for a new one. Old one doesn't expire for 5+ years and is only half full.

However my country doesn't have embassy and isn't able to issue another passport in Thailand, so I have to go back to birth country to get a new passport. Previously, when I was under consideration for the PR, I changed passport, old one had corners cut on info page only, entered with new one and showing old one, was stamped in as per old one, and proceeded to immigration to transfer stamps to new one.

Never done it after receiving PR status though. Hence I would like to ask for any special requirements to avoid any drama on return.

Thank you.

If you have a valid non quota visa, endorsement and re-entry permit you would show both passports on entry to the country.

Then you would need to go to immigration to have your residence certificate and etc updated with your new passport number on them.

Thank you Joe. I just got off the phone with immigration, who stated the same.

Enter country with both passports and residence certificate booklet. As soon as possible after that, go to immigration to transfer the stamps from old passport to new one. Can be done within the same day without fee.

Thank you again.

This can be closed now.