Not again! Tourist in Pattaya comes off motorcycle at "badly lit" roadworks

webfact

Not again! Tourist in Pattaya comes off motorcycle at "badly lit" roadworks

3pm1.jpg
Picture: The Pattaya News

Rescue services went to Thepprasit Soi 7 at 2.20 am this morning after a foreign tourist hit a sign at some pipe laying works and came off his bike. 

The tourist suffered a bloodied head injury and road rash. His Yamaha Nouvo was nearby.

The tourist was taken to Pattaya Memorial Hospital.

3pm2.jpg
Picture: The Pattaya News

The Pattaya News said the area was badly lit with not enough warning markers. 

They said it had happened again without giving details of previous accidents. 

Source: The Pattaya News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-11

7 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Hope he pays his hospital bill.

They will check he has funds before he gets any treatment for sure.....too many pesky foreigners leaving hospitals here without paying their bills.......well so the government says  :whistling:

31 minutes ago, essox essox said:

complete disregard to safety in this country....having said this....looking at the photo there are red plastic barriers that are big....no one should NOT see these...driver would have been alcohol fuelled....

They're all but invisible if headights are approaching from the other direction.

26 minutes ago, petermik said:

They will check he has funds before he gets any treatment for sure.....too many pesky foreigners leaving hospitals here without paying their bills.......well so the government says  :whistling:

generally speaking they dont allow you to leave until bills are paid.

In my case I could NOT get my passport back until they had been paid.

So I not believe that farangs just get out without paying !!

48 minutes ago, essox essox said:

no one should NOT see these...driver would have been alcohol fuelled....

These things are all over the place in Pattaya right now, as 10 year temporary devices to prevent U-Turns, road work indicators and police stops. The problem specifically here is when there are road works an extremely unsafe situation of diversion is usually what we see. Took a tumble myself in broad daylight due to a diversion onto a surface not fit for a motorcycle!

unfortunately safety is lacking in Thailand, I have almost run into a 2 metre deep hole in the main highway to Bangkok because there were no lights or warning signs before you got to it and it was on a very dark section of highway. When we queried police about it later they said that when  warning  lights are used they get stolen, not surprising really as anything of value that isnt chained down tends to disappear especially if its made of metal. Safety is not high in Thailand mainly due to the costs involved so it really is a matter of being vigilant as there are many dangers like this on thai roads all over the country

3 minutes ago, seajae said:

unfortunately safety is lacking in Thailand, I have almost run into a 2 metre deep hole in the main highway to Bangkok because there were no lights or warning signs before you got to it and it was on a very dark section of highway. When we queried police about it later they said that when  warning  lights are used they get stolen, not surprising really as anything of value that isnt chained down tends to disappear especially if its made of metal. Safety is not high in Thailand mainly due to the costs involved so it really is a matter of being vigilant as there are many dangers like this on thai roads all over the country

They should bait those thieves and put warning lights with gps trackers on the roads...

What should I think about the photo in the original article that is not shown in the OP:

1568086831608-1-928x696.jpg

Don't tell me he overlooked this sign crashed into it and fell into the hole?

How drunk/deranged, how fast has one to speed to overlook this?

Driving in Thailand is dangerous, driving in Thailand in the dark is triple dangerous. Adopt your speed.

5 hours ago, essox essox said:

.looking at the photo there are red plastic barriers that are big....no one should NOT see these.

Huh!!! They might be big but there aren't enough of them. They should be locked together and fully encase the works.

5 hours ago, neeray said:

Representatives of TAT, The Mayors Office, maybe DLT etc will all be on hand soon for a photo op as the flowers, candy and 1,000 baht compensation check are presented.

A similar event happened to me at unlit road works on Siam Country Club Road. In various states of injury, my passenger and I had to ride to Pattaya Hospital, Soi Buakhau. Although the bike was insured, Hospital Admin insisted that I paid cash for our medical treatment. This allowed them to avoid involving the police. 

Archived