Tattoo Artist

coldcrush

CB,

tattoos nicely done buddy. am still trying to figure out its a good idea to do a little one on my arms. wife doesn't think so! :o

My PERSONAL rule is that I will not get a tattoo that can be seen when I am wearing a Tshirt or my normal (here) short sleeve business shirt. As it is I have to be careful if I am wearing a white shirt because it shows through the fabric. Outside work I will wear whatever I want but as a manager I have to abide by "business rules". In Thailand it is not so important but in the West much more of an issue. Getting less now but still it will kill your chances of getting up the corporate ladder in almost all industries.

When I went to Japan to get my eagle done, a very well presented business man came in at the end of the session wearing a very expensive suit. He had a three quarter body suit that no one would know about unless he chose to show them.

Bottom line is if you think there is any chance of it damaging your business or relationship with your wife - don't do it. Dao (my wife) loves mine but would never get one herself.

So do you have any now? If so post the photos mate :D

Ok guys - front up - show us your tatts :D

Seeing as how I started this "show us ya tats" I had better put up or shut up :D

This started out as a small (3cm square) eagle on my right shoulder when I was eighteen years old. I was in the Army in Townsville - we got paid and it was the first night off base where I could legally drink. We had 3 Bundy and Coke at the Railway and went to the tattoo shop next door - always a good combination.

Since then it has kinda grown but I can still honestly say I only have the ONE tatoo :o

Right shoulder is and Eagle/Dragon combination and done by in Japan. I had wanted to get my back work done there but it was going to cost nearly AU$60,000 to do it and meant I had to pay up front plus go back to Japan three times. It is traditional style with hand tools so it is a "softer" look than the normal machine work. The colouring and shading is much more subtle. Even so it cost AU$2,000!.

It is too big to load up here so I am trying to convert it to a smaller file first

Resized the photo - the colour is much more subtle than normal western style and for your information anyone who tells you that getting a traditional Japanese tattoo done with hand tools doesn't hurt - kick them in the balls and say - bet that didn't hurt either :D

The handtool is much slower so that part makes it hurt less but it is much deeper and that part hurts more. Glad I got it done but most people assume it is very old which it isn't. The inks are hand ground from a chunk of colour in a mortar with a pestle then mixed with glycerine, water, and alcohol (pure) - wanna bet the alcohol adds a tingle to the skin?

post-36525-1174636420_thumb.jpg

Seeing as how I started this "show us ya tats" I had better put up or shut up :D

This started out as a small (3cm square) eagle on my right shoulder when I was eighteen years old. I was in the Army in Townsville - we got paid and it was the first night off base where I could legally drink. We had 3 Bundy and Coke at the Railway and went to the tattoo shop next door - always a good combination.

Since then it has kinda grown but I can still honestly say I only have the ONE tatoo :D

Is that "Chopper Read" ?? Oh sorry it can't be, the ears are still intact.. :o Have you had any work done in CM ?

My Left shoulder was done in the States - it is a cover up and the guy who did it (San Fransisco) was VERY expensive and HIGHLY recommended in the US tattoo magazines. It is a tiger and the work underneath shows through which means I will have to get some laser removal done on parts of it to then get it redone. Ning will do that for me. The work done underneath was in London and celtic knotwork. The work was very good but the associated memory isn't so I didn't want it anymore. I have two celtic armbands that were done by Kiwi Kim in Sydney before she became a junkie.

It is too big to load up here so I am trying to convert it to a smaller file first

resized this one - you can see the underlying tattoo which was a celtic design I modified and redrew when I was in England - the work was done very well but had bad memories. I contacted a friend in the US (San Diedo) to do it for me but he was prebooked (with deposit) for 12 months ahead! He suggeted this other artist as being very good, I did and we negotiated a price and then worked around when I would be next in San Fransisco - paid my deposit and when it was first done the colour was good but I thought the actual technique not as good as I had anticipated. It is the details of the claws, teeth, and eyes that really seperate the amateurs, the professionals, and the gifted artists. Six months later it had come through and this is the result.

I haven't tried to find anyone in Thailand that does laser tattoo removal but for the moment it is a memory of even if the person is well known and you have paid for quality you can still get a bad tattoo.

post-36525-1174637241_thumb.jpg

Edited by Crow Boy

Since then it has kinda grown but I can still honestly say I only have the ONE tatoo :D

post-36525-1174619874_thumb.jpg

Nice Tat mate, good use of colour. I think I will go with your recommendations as you must know a lil after your obvious love of em!

post-36525-1174619874_thumb.jpg

Nice Tat mate, good use of colour. I think I will go with your recommendations as you must know a lil after your obvious love of em!

Check around and talk to the artist. He/she needs to understand what YOU want on YOUR skin. Take your time and please think about what you get, it takes a couple of hours to get a good tattoo but if it is crappy work or design you will regret it for the rest of your life. Speak to the artist and get a custom piece. If you like traditional Thai tattoo or a Thai theme go with some pages of ideas or drawings for them to work with. If they can't get the drawing right then DON'T get the tattoo. The only problem I have with Ning and my back is he can't get the eye colour right, I don't know why but it is something he can't do. They should be emerald green and he puts a small amount of colour and I want them fully blocked in. He will fix it (again) when I go back to do the next Left buttock at some stage.

Bottom line for all tattoos - if it doesn't mean something to you don't get it. I dislike flash art because an aweful lot of it is crap and I don't want something on my skin which is the same as everyone else. All shops have to carry it because people expect to see it but if you like a piece of flash ask the artist to modify the design to make it unique. The studios in Japan have hardly any flash except for the Japanese kids who are really into New Old Skool designs - very retro 50's American Ed Hardy designs. My eagle/snake was freedrawn on the arm so takes the shape of the muscle into account. If it was just on paper it wouldn't look the same because of the distortion due to changing a 2 dimensional drawing and putting it on a 3 dimensional muscle.

There are a lot of tattoo shops in CM, some good, some bad, some better than others. Look around and find one that suits you. Also last point, the artist may do great dragons and eagles and fabulous colour, but if you want a grey scale, photorealisitic rendering of a Thai dancer he may not be able to do it. Find a person good at the style you want or you will most likely be disapointed.

So the numbers are whitling down to two at the moment as ta22 seems to think Mr wong is a drifter!

I pop into Poom and Nings place and take a look at what they are doing.

Thanks for all replies :o

Sent you a PM

What sort of design are you looking for? Do you have one already or are you looking for something to be custom drawn?

i am going to leave that to the fate when I go down I want some intricate thai pattern designs if you know what I mean, nothing spiritual (Yan) it aint my thing.

naga tattoos on loi kroi rd is number1 just go in and check out photos!!

So the numbers are whitling down to two at the moment as ta22 seems to think Mr wong is a drifter!

I pop into Poom and Nings place and take a look at what they are doing.

Thanks for all replies :o

Sent you a PM

What sort of design are you looking for? Do you have one already or are you looking for something to be custom drawn?

i am going to leave that to the fate when I go down I want some intricate thai pattern designs if you know what I mean, nothing spiritual (Yan) it aint my thing.

naga tattoos on loi kroi rd is number1 just go in and check out photos!!

As I put in my earlier post Ugly (Naga tattoo) does so good work but like a lot of things in life if there is not a good connection between the artist and the recipient it will not work. I went there when I was looking to get my back done when I was checking out possible places. He and I didn't connect at all, I was telling me what I wanted and he was telling me what he was going to do.

Re: the comment "he is number 1" - that is conjecture. So what have you got done by him, load up a photo and let others be the judge.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Just bumping this thread for some up-to date advice on tattooing in Chiang Mai. I'm considering going for one next week but have no idea where is best to go.

When I lived in Phuket I got some traditional bamboo work done by this guy - http://www.nakhonsrithammarart.com/tattooshots%201.html and it turned out great. Can anybody recommend anyone similar in Chiang Mai? Their's great advice in this thread already but it's a few years old