Trump will not pick Pompeo as national security adviser, has 15 candidates

webfact

Trump will not pick Pompeo as national security adviser, has 15 candidates

2019-09-12T225350Z_1_LYNXNPEF8B24P_RTROPTP_4_USA-AFGHANISTAN-POMPEO.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo speaks following a meeting of the UN Security Council at UN headquarters in New York, U.S., August 20, 2019. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday ruled out asking Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to take on a dual role as national security adviser and said he has about 15 candidates for the post last held by John Bolton.

There had been some discussion among White House officials about giving Pompeo the national security job while he remained secretary of state, but Trump told reporters he did not plan to take that step.

Trump said he spoke to Pompeo about the idea and the secretary of state "liked the idea of having somebody in there with him."

Trump said he now has 15 candidates for the job, a day after saying he had a short list of five. He said he would probably have a decision on who gets the post next week.

U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday ruled out asking Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to take on a dual role as national security adviser and said he has about 15 candidates for the post last held by John Bolton. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

"Everybody wants it very badly, as you can imagine," he said. "A lot of people want the job. It's a great job."

Trump's list of people being considered for the job is largely made up of reliable conservatives with solid ties to key Trump administration stalwarts, according to several sources who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Mike Pence's national security adviser, retired Army General Keith Kellogg, is part of a group that also includes the State Department's Iran envoy, Brian Hook, former deputy White House national security adviser Rick Waddell, and U.S. ambassador to Germany Richard Grenell, among others, the sources said.

(Reporting by Jeff Mason and Steve Holland; Editing by Rosalba O'Brien and Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-09-13

34 minutes ago, thasoss said:

took trump long enough to get rid of bolton,now he needs to get rid of pomeo....clean these idiots out of  the way and start making some peace around the world instead of destroying countries.

Yeah, because if it wasn't for these two Trump would get along just fine with everyone and bring peace worldwide. For those who missed previous episodes, the Trump administration was pretty much the same with the former players on-board. Laying it all on the people he hires ("the best") must be an alternative facts thing.

"Everybody wants it very badly, as you can imagine," he said. "A lot of people want the job. It's a great job."

Does it provide pension if you last one year?

There are so many "acting heads" of positions in Trump admin, so many unfilled positions it has to have damaging impact.

It would be laughable if it weren't in such a real world serious post. US enemies, terrorists must be in awe at lack of competence. Amazing there hasn't been a repeat of 9/11 attacks.

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

could be $400k + per year + benefits.  Would you still be interested.

Sure, it is a do nothing job. Advisor for Trump? I pretty much expect I'd be more of a lightning Rod than advice giver.  I have a thick enough skin that I could do the job till I get 800,000 bt in a couple Thai banks. ????

Archived