Oh Man! Foreign tourist racks up 50K bar tab after ringing the bell 20 times!

webfact

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, berrec said:

Ding Dong the Witch is Dead ............ well the man from Oman may have been if the Mafia wanted their 50,000 Baht there and then.............

I sincerely hope a lesson well learnt but I am certain as sunrise we will see more stories like this in the future.................... 

I have never heard of any Falang killed over a bar bill...  Can you name some? 

On 9/13/2019 at 3:30 PM, fasteddie said:

You need to get out more, plenty of Muslims drink alcohol, a Jordanian pilot I once knew regularly drunk all us expats under the table, he even took me up in his Hunter early one morning right after a messy session and proceeded to roll her and fly upside down trying to get me to throw up, he failed.

he must have changed religion.... muslim / islam faith doesn't allow alcohol and I do get out a lot, living in the south of Thailand muslim area I know what I am talking about as I did travel a lot to the middle east where the majority are muslims, even reside there for a short while thus well aware of their religion restrictions

I was in a Walking Street bar, something I do once a year, and was having a very good time with five girls. When the check bin hit around 6,000 the owner came over and had a friendly chat and explained that they don't accept credit cards; cash only. Could I cover it? No problem.

Sucker

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, batata said:

he must have changed religion.... muslim / islam faith doesn't allow alcohol and I do get out a lot, living in the south of Thailand muslim area I know what I am talking about as I did travel a lot to the middle east where the majority are muslims, even reside there for a short while thus well aware of their religion restrictions

The Muslim faith doesn't allow alcohol but not all Muslims are that faithful and drink and take drugs, and living in the south of Thailand you should know that. The only thing I've never known a Muslim to do is eat pork, well not knowingly anyway though I do know that some Buddhists in the south like to spike Muslims food when they're at school.

On 9/13/2019 at 12:56 PM, from the home of CC said:

guess you've never been to Bahrain, on the weekends bars just full of Saudis <deleted> up picking up prostitutes lol... 

There are no stand alone bars in Bahrain. You can get a drink at a hotel or you go through the rigmarole of getting a liquor license, as I recall there are only two such liquor shops. The same situation applies to Qatar as well.

5 hours ago, rossd said:

There are no stand alone bars in Bahrain. You can get a drink at a hotel or you go through the rigmarole of getting a liquor license, as I recall there are only two such liquor shops. The same situation applies to Qatar as well.

I was referring to the hotel bars, you know the ones that offer you a menu of different nationalities of girls to pick from. I saw many Saudis in there with a girl on their knee and a bottle of JW in front of them. Similar to when you fly out the country, soon as the seat belt sign goes out the drinks come out. No big deal but hypocritical to the max, similar to many religions..

On 9/13/2019 at 6:16 AM, batata said:

he's from Oman, muslim country..... muslims don't (are not supposed to) drink alcohol and don't frequent bars quite surprised with the post

Yes and they don’t eat pork but they really enjoy a bacon sandwich !!!

30 minutes ago, hioctane said:

I know a couple of TG that worked in Bahrain. They said there are some freelance clubs there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, and a hotel with a floor of hookers. 

Since I quit working there and moved to Thailand completely forgotten the name!

On 9/15/2019 at 2:26 AM, tropo said:

If you ever decided to visit the "seaside resort close to Bangkok", you might be surprised to learn that there are thousands upon thousands of families visiting every single day of the year. I'm talking about tourists that will never see the inside of a bar.

I moved away from Bangkok after working there for 20 years - to Pattaya. Traffic and pollution were the main reasons. 

15 years later I moved away from Pattaya (luckily lived on the Darkside but had to go downtown for any business/shopping) to the Northeast Of Thailand; the endless mess in governing the seaside resort, local and caucasian h00k"*rs, ladyboys and everybody looks the other way, the beaches soiled and polluted and - guess what, the weekend had the avalanche of cars pouring in from Bangkok. 

Hence do not tell me, that Pattaya is visited for its nature, beaches and tranquility and qualifies as a family resort. Pattaya has nothing to do with Thailand ???? 

On 9/13/2019 at 8:16 AM, batata said:

he's from Oman, muslim country..... muslims don't (are not supposed to) drink alcohol and don't frequent bars quite surprised with the post

Mine is just a guess; but, I feel that atheism and agnoticism have been on the rise in Muslim-majority countries as well. Of course, sadly, most of those people wouldn't be able to admit to it, due to obvious reasons.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:16 AM, batata said:

Guess you never heard of all the "business" flights that leave the middle east heading to playgrounds for sex and drinking. What the wives don't know won't hurt them apparently.

On 9/15/2019 at 2:21 AM, tropo said:

The bars are not charities - they are businesses. If naive (and stupid) customers want to wrack up 50k plus bills... let them. The bar manager can handle the odd non-payer at the cop station, while the rest of them pay up. In this case he probably recovered the cost price of the drinks and he's not out of pocket. It's not the bar's responsibility to babysit idiots who should know better. I'm surprised the "foreign tourist" got out of it so lightly. Maybe they'll follow him and get their revenge in a dark alley somewhere. Some people are not suited to traveling and should stay home with mummy and daddy. I have no sympathy for that Omani <deleted>. He still owes the bar the balance IMO. The adult sex-industry is no place for children. What would happen in Oman if we failed to pay our bills while on vacation?

Well there are plenty of farang idiots who walk naked, get into fight, dont pay their bar bills deliberately compared to this Omani idiot as you said. Its not a matter of being childish and was simple error. People dont grow up in bars or pubs except Brits who have a deep culture towards that.

12 hours ago, JemJem said:

Mine is just a guess; but, I feel that atheism and agnoticism have been on the rise in Muslim-majority countries as well. Of course, sadly, most of those people wouldn't be able to admit to it, due to obvious reasons.

Nothing like having a sword waved over your head to help you find God!

On 9/13/2019 at 12:16 PM, batata said:

almost every Muslim I know avoids bacon but drinks alcohol regularly. pick and choose your Muslim options . multiple wives = yes pray daily = no bacon = maybe alcohol = another round! 

just like Christians and Buddhists et al. 

On 9/13/2019 at 12:47 PM, Thaiwrath said:

I was in a bar in Pattaya, and I bought 1 lady a drink, and I had a small Leo.

I decided to move on, and was presented with a bill of over 700 baht, and when I questioned it, the owner said I had ordered drinks for other girls. Had I been a newbie, I probably would have paid it begrudgingly, and moved on, but as I first visited there in 1991, and have lived in the N.E. for 15 years, as a matter of principle, I disputed it.

She wouldnt back down, and either would !, so she called the police, and minutes later they arrived in a pick-up (probably expecting a good pay day from stupid farang !).

It was then decided that I would have to go to Soi 9, in the back of the pick up, and when there, I was told I would be put in a cell for the night, and would appear in court in the morning. They were probably expecting me to bribe my way out of my now predicament, but, instead, I called a highly influential lawyer in Khon Kaen, and passed the phone over to the officer. To this day I do not know what was said, but on handing me the phone back, he told me I was free to go, and the matter was closed.

I find in a lot of places, up here included, some bars are trying scams, as an awful lot of them must be losing money day after day, with customer numbers drastically reduced. 

Pay as you drink... Never fails.. 

On 9/13/2019 at 1:14 AM, BritManToo said:

So he was right then, overcharged by nearly 40Kbht.

Police made him pay 14,500bht. 

Nice girlfriend too, he didn't know what ringing the bell meant, and she didn't tell him.

Yes- bell-ringing (what the hell is that?) should be alerted by Thai natives? My God- the ridiculous nature of going to a bar is now based upon a ringing of a bell?

I have visited Thailand. MY intentions are unlike others. It seems that people may "learn", although enough beers changes that:) I guess what I speak about is those areas that tend to take advantage...a tourist and now overwhelmed. Obviously, one can choose- if inebriated those options suddenly decrease.

All up to each one..whether a  newbie who suddenly succumbs....many reasons for whatever:) It is not me to judge.

On 9/17/2019 at 2:29 PM, Thaifriends said:

Well there are plenty of farang idiots who walk naked, get into fight, dont pay their bar bills deliberately compared to this Omani idiot as you said. Its not a matter of being childish and was simple error. People dont grow up in bars or pubs except Brits who have a deep culture towards that.

Irish actually, Irish in Eire, Irish in Britain, Irish in... well everywhere as it happens. that is, as you put it, in their "deep culture", and taught the Australians also 55555

I have visited Thailand. MY intentions are unlike others. It seems that people may "learn", although enough beers changes that:) I guess what I speak about is those areas that tend to take advantage...a tourist and now overwhelmed. Obviously, one can choose- if inebriated those options suddenly decrease.

All up to each one..whether a  newbie who suddenly succumbs....many reasons for whatever:) It is not me to judge.

It doesn’t matter.. tourist or not.. When you are inebriated, your judgement on ANY situation can not be trusted. Before you get to that point... Pay your bill and “pay as you go” if you insist on drinking more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/13/2019 at 1:16 AM, batata said:

Obviously, some Muslims like to drink- even though it is against the religion. Logically, when you're in an another country you can "let your hair down" ????

When inebriated, people do stupid things- especially if unaccustomed to a foreign country and its practices (meaning bar whatever). Forgive me "if" I question the intent (of bar owners with "ladies") to pad bills. When someone is inebriated and they(the bar) realize that, I can assure you that many will attempt to take advantage of that.  I guess...get rid of the bell and perhaps "foreigners" won't be screwed.:) And yes- someone mentioned that the girl with this tourist should have alerted him as to what the bell meant. So much for her...

Essentially....like everywhere, there are people who have morals and a conscience. When I read about the <deleted> Temple monks who trafficked tigers and essentially killed them, then my respect for Thais goes down the tubes. No- not everyone, but enough to question what the hell is going on.

Archived