A Japanese eatery at nearly every corner in Thailand

A Japanese eatery at nearly every corner in Thailand

By THE NATION

800_1b5d289cddc56b3.jpg

The number of Japanese eateries in Thailand has been growing continuously, especially in the provinces, the Japan External Trade Organisation (Jetro) Bangkok said on Friday (September 13).

The number of outlets serving Japanese food in the Kingdom has expanded 21 per cent from last year to 3,637 eateries this year. Japanese outlets in Bangkok alone rose from 1,718 to 1,993, while upcountry, the number has grown from 1,286 to 1,644. 

The survey, conducted from June 1 to August 20, covered eateries serving Japanese cuisine, fusion foods and outlets where half of the menu covers Japanese food. 

In terms of types of eateries, restaurants led the list with 893, up 19 per cent from last year, followed by outlets selling sushi, ramen, sukiyaki and izakaya or Japanese tapas-style food. The number of sushi outlets alone grew to 683 this year from 299 last year. 

Bangkok has the largest number of Japanese eateries, followed by Chon Buri, Nonthaburi and Chiang Mai.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30376178

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-14

My wife used to like the Japanese style shops, so did I, but not as much. They all seem the same though, If you go to a Mall there is barely an alternative. All the Thai food is in the food court and therefore food court quality. We are over it for the most part. We don't even look at the restaurant floor anymore. Except if we are in a salad mood and go to Sizzler.

So according to another amazing Thai math and writers ability,  there would be absolutely NO Japanese restaurants anywhere else in all of Thailand except for Bangkok and up country!!  How do you guys in Pattaya, Hua Hin , Phuket and the rest of Thailand feel about that ridiculous story?? It’s hard for me to believe that any Japanese work at Jetro. Let’s summarize this report:  First they say there are Japanese restaurants in every corner of Thailand totaling 3,637 minus BKK 1,993 minus up country 1,644 so that leaves ZERO for the rest of the country. Amazing ????

16 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

My wife used to like the Japanese style shops, so did I, but not as much. They all seem the same though, If you go to a Mall there is barely an alternative. All the Thai food is in the food court and therefore food court quality. We are over it for the most part. We don't even look at the restaurant floor anymore. Except if we are in a salad mood and go to Sizzler.

I used to go to Sizzler just for the salads, now I discovered The Salad Factory at Mega Bang Na.

1 minute ago, Seismic said:

I used to go to Sizzler just for the salads, now I discovered The Salad Factory at Mega Bang Na.

Yes me too... I use The Salad Factory already about 1 year... they have several locations. The prices are cheap for what you become there.

And with the membership card you even can become additional 10% discount!

I lived in the "Japanese Ghetto" inside the "Farang Ghetto". There were more Japanese restaurants, pubs, "clubs" and supermarkets then there were Thai ones. 

Some of the restaurants were authentic Japanese ones too with Japanese owners and a wholly Japanese clientele.

Archived