Dim Sum For Lunch

miltonbentley

Sorry, no idea, but I am very much looking forward to finding out. Ta22? Hello . . . Ta22, you there??

:o:D:D

Thanks chaps we're going to give ColinM's recommendation a bash and if we can't find it use the CM Orchid as a back up.

Will report back after a tasty lunch :D

The only truly GOOD dim sum I have found in Chiang Mai is in the restaurant at the Sheraton hotel. It makes the Dim Sum fresh and compares favourably with either Hong Kong or London's Chinatown .

Most other places purchace the industrially manufactured, deep frozen crapola that they simply nuke before transferring to the steamer baskets for service, soaked in sub-standard, sour, Thai soy sauce.

Between the turn in to Arcade Bus Station and Tung Hotel intersection on Kaew Nawarat Rd.

Have to look closely as very unobvious place.

I believe they supply some of the hotels.

There is also a place on Kampaengdin Rd where all the food places are clustered. Its right on the street (on canal side) about 200?m from Mae Ping intersection heading south (before you get to small bridge).

Mrs MB wants to go for dim sum for lunch. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Muchas gracias

Duangtawan Hotel in Loy Kroh has dim sum in the Chinese Restaurant - never been there but have been told it is good. I think it is a set price menu but before you clean up the trolly would be a good idea to verify if this is correct :o

Yes, the Duangtawan Dim Sum is good if you like Dim Sum.

Not a big fan myself.

Looks like we need to introduce you to the real thing at the Sheraton then. We almost always choose this Chinese restaurant to celebrate big events, birthdays, wedding anniversaries etc.

Went to Colin M's suggestion the Dim Sum House. It was OK but not great some dishes were better than others although saying that we did manage to wolf down something like 20 baskets. Mrs MB has an appetite on her :D

Not bad for 190 baht!

Would be very interested to try P1P's suggestion at the Sheraton sometime. Perhaps a ThaiVisa Dim Sum UP some time :D and we can have a drink too :o

The only truly GOOD dim sum I have found in Chiang Mai is in the restaurant at the Sheraton hotel. It makes the Dim Sum fresh and compares favourably with either Hong Kong or London's Chinatown .

Most other places purchace the industrially manufactured, deep frozen crapola that they simply nuke before transferring to the steamer baskets for service, soaked in sub-standard, sour, Thai soy sauce.

Is the "dim sum" on every day there ? And is it a set price type deal ? And the cost ?

Cheers.

DIm sim

There used to be a buffet place near the prince royal school. not sure if it still there , personally i had not been there ,

The road heading to " LUNG MORE " ( back of Chiangmai uni .

Have a Roast duck Shop call " Yaowalat " there serve very good ROAST duck and you can get a small range of Dim Sim

The chinese mini dumpling . sold by the mobile Bum pender is at 1 baht each .

i know the guy who make the a few of the maker and both of them is my friends , the batter one is price at 2 baht each .

iis meat wrap in yellow dumpling skin .

those 1 baht one is average

Hmmm as i was planning a POT LUCK , maybe i would order those so people can taste it .

I heard from GM of Duangtawan that there is a chinese resturant there , personally i had not been there but cos is owned by a singapore and if any dimsim is sold i am sure there would be of some standard .

i will double check with some of my tai tai friends who hunt for such place and update you if i have more info .

:o

Chiangmai is not the best place for Dimsim .. but a small select is done very well .

Not even bangkok .. If you have the chance to go Malaysia ( for thsoe guy doing the tourist visa run )

PENANG - would be the closest Dimsim heaven .

Hongkong will be the best .

But those i ate at penang on my last run .. and i am going next month .. help me gain 2 kg after my trip

Edited by Ta22

Is the "dim sum" on every day there ? And is it a set price type deal ? And the cost ?

Cheers.

Yes, at lunchtime

No

Depends what you order. Some of the sharks fin dim sum are expensive. Rest are 20-50 Bahy a basket. We normally spend about 200 Baht a head for a full blowout, drinking tea. Their Cha Siu (Moo Dang) and roast duck are about the best in Chiang Mai too.

Not a big fan myself.

Looks like we need to introduce you to the real thing at the Sheraton then. We almost always choose this Chinese restaurant to celebrate big events, birthdays, wedding anniversaries etc.

Thank p1p.

I agree with you on the Duangtawan. Better than nothing, but not up to much.

I look forward to trying the Sharaton! :o

DIm sim

There used to be a buffet place near the prince royal school. not sure if it still there , personally i had not been there ,

The road heading to " LUNG MORE " ( back of Chiangmai uni .

Have a Roast duck Shop call " Yaowalat " there serve very good ROAST duck and you can get a small range of Dim Sim

Love roast duck but ooooh not good for the diet

DIm sim

The chinese mini dumpling . sold by the mobile Bum pender is at 1 baht each .

Mate - you know I would never pick on you but this is a classic ROFLMAO

There's a Dim Sum place on the top floor of the Tall Teak Plaza on Nimmanhemin. Look for the large Starbucks sign - that's Tall Teak Plaza.

This is a life field report from Starbucks - I see two Thai girls in the common area enjoying a huge pile of Dim Sum from that place, can't be all bad :o

I used to have some Dim Sum at MK but it's rather bad so I will not recommend that. Only for emergencies.

PENANG - would be the closest Dimsim heaven .

Hongkong will be the best .

But those i ate at penang on my last run .. and i am going next month .. help me gain 2 kg after my trip

If you didn't find this place on your last trip to Penang, try Restoran Yong Pin on Jalan Sungei Ujong. Really easy to find, about a block north of Prangin Mall:

If you ride the free downtown shuttle bus, alight at stop 13 and backtrack a block along Jln. Dr. Lim Chwee Leong. Right turn on Jln. Sungei Ujong. Restaurant is on the right.

If you walk down Chulia Street from Jln. Penang, turn right on Lebuh Cintra. As Cintra crosses Lbh. Kimberley it becomes Jln. Sungei Ujong. Restaurant is on the left.

If you are driving, Jln Sungei Ujong is one-way running north from Prangin Mall and parking is not too often a real problem if you are there early enough in the morning.

Restaurant is open in the morning 'til about 11:00 and again in the evening at around 19:00 or so. Closed Mondays, or every other Monday (not 100% sure about that).

Edited by ovenman

Not a big fan myself.

Thank p1p.

I agree with you on the Duangtawan. Better than nothing, but not up to much.

I look forward to trying the Sharaton! :o

For Shereton now read Holiday Inn!! When did this all happen?

> Dim Sum For Lunch, where to go?

Hong Kong? :o

There's direct flights. But anyway, we also like to do nice Chinese restaurants for celebratory occasions where some people in the party aren't confident about Western/Fusion food.. We WILL give the place in the Sheraton a try, I blindly follow P1p on such things. :D Maybe he can check out the Oriental Dhara Dhevi one as well some time before I try that one? :D

On Chinese restaurants in general, the last visits to Chia Thong Heng (opposite Chiang Mai Plaza hotel) have been somewhat disappointing, though the place does remain very popular with people judging from how much customers they get. Actually one that we liked a lot is on Aom Muang Road just before the entrance to Chiang Mai Land Rd. Started out as Mushroom-suki chinese but I think it turned into a general Chinese restaurant type of place. It's been a while since we were last there though, the only thing counting against it is that the combination of a major highway and 'food' doesn't sit well with me, but that's just me. (Place is inside and refrigerated to arctic conditions so it shouldn't be a factor.. still... . :D

Maybe he can check out the Oriental Dhara Dhevi one as well some time before I try that one? :o

Actually one that we liked a lot is on Aom Muang Road just before the entrance to Chiang Mai Land Rd.

Dhara Devi - I had breakfast there once. Very good. Other than that, I'm waiting to be invited back there fing36.gif. Afraid I can't persuade the Mrs. that it is worth spending SUCH a large amount per person for food that, rumour has it, is not particularly good.

Friends who need to use the place for business entertaining never go there by choice.

Ok, I just went to the place in between the Arcade Bus terminal and Tung Hotel Rd intersection on Kaew Nawarat Road. What can I say, all this dim sum discussion got me in the mood. :o

It's............. okay for the price I guess. Not bad by usual Chiang Mai standards.. Though I don't think it would appear anywhere in a Hong Kong league of dim sum. But then it usually costs a lot more in Hong Kong as well.

I also thought of another place that's similar value & quality, even though they don't use the bamboo steamers and it's more of a side thing for them: Aong Thipparot on Prapokklao Road, the well known noodle shop with speed-of-light service. (I think I actually saw the bowl land on my table before finishing my sentence ordering.... but then again as I mostly go there very late at night as an after hours midnight meal my perception of time and space gets warped a little. But anyway, for such a late-night venue of noodle soup & dim sum it actually works exceptionally well imho. :D (Place is just inside the old city on the right hand side when entering Prapokklao road from the Northern Chang Phuak city gate. Place has been there for as long as I can remember.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao