Israeli election too close to call, Netanyahu weakened - exit polls

webfact

Israeli election too close to call, Netanyahu weakened - exit polls

By Jeffrey Heller

2019-09-17T084720Z_1_LYNXMPEF8G0LL_RTROPTP_4_ISRAEL-ELECTION-NETANYAHU-VOTES.JPG

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin and his wife Sara casts their votes during Israel's parliamentary election at a polling station in Jerusalem September 17, 2019. Heidi Levine/Pool via REUTERS

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's battle for political survival looked set to stretch on after exit polls following Tuesday's election showed the race too close to call and Israel's longest-serving leader weakened.

The surveys by Israeli TV stations gave Netanyahu's right-wing Likud 31 to 33 of parliament's 120 seats, versus 32 to 34 for centrist Blue and White led by former General Benny Gantz.

Neither had enough support, at first glance, for a governing coalition of 61 legislators, and Netanyahu's ally-turned-rival, former Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman, emerged as a likely kingmaker as head of the far-right Yisrael Beitenu party.

"Netanyahu has lost, but Gantz hasn't won," said Udi Segal, a prominent Israeli television news anchor.

Without Yisrael Beitenu's projected eight to 10 seats, stalemate would ensue: Likud would have the support of only up to 57 legislators for a right-wing coalition, and Blue and White could enlist no more than 59 for a centre-left government.

"We have only one option - a national, liberal, broad government comprising Israel Beitenu, Likud and Blue and White," said Lieberman, whose projected tally was double the result in April.

Dubbed "King Bibi" by his supporters, Netanyahu, 69, had already been stung by his failure to form a government after an election on April.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu faces a battle for political survival in a closely fought election on Tuesday that could end his 10-year domination of national politics. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

Opinion polls put former armed forces chief Benny Gantz's centrist Blue and White party neck-and-neck with Netanyahu's right-wing Likud, and suggest the far-right Yisrael Beiteinu party could emerge as kingmaker in coalition talks.

"(The election) is very close. I call on all citizens of Israel to come vote," Netanyahu said, his voice hoarse after weeks of campaigning, as he cast his vote in Jerusalem.

Gantz voted shortly afterwards in Rosh Haayin, near Tel Aviv, and wished everyone luck.

Looming corruption charges - he has denied any wrongdoing - have also chipped away at Netanyahu's seeming invincibility, 10 years into consecutive terms as prime minister marked by a sharp focus on security that resonated with voters.

"Unless that miraculous turnabout between the exit polls and the actual results happens - the Netanyahu magic has been broken," Anshel Pfeffer, author of a Netanyahu biography, wrote in the left-wing Haaretz daily.

Addressing supporters after the exit polls, Lieberman appealed to President Reuven Rivlin to invite Netanyahu and Gantz to meet as early as Friday, even before final results are in, to explore the formation of a national unity government.

Coalition-building could be complicated: Lieberman has said he would not join an alliance that included ultra-Orthodox parties - Netanyahu's traditional partners. Gantz has ruled out participating in an administration with Netanyahu, if the Israeli leader is indicted on looming corruption charges.

SLIGHT DIFFERENCES

The two main parties' campaigns pointed to only narrow differences on many important issues: the regional struggle against Iran, the Palestinian conflict, relations with the United States and the economy.

An end to the Netanyahu era would be unlikely to bring about a significant change in policy on hotly disputed issues in the peace process with the Palestinians that collapsed five years ago.

Netanyahu has announced his intention to annex the Jordan Valley in the occupied West Bank, where the Palestinians seek statehood.

But Blue and White has also said it would strengthen Jewish settlement blocs in the West Bank, with the Jordan Valley as Israel's "eastern security border".

As in the election five months ago, Netanyahu's opponents, including Gantz, focussed on bribery and fraud allegations against the prime minister in three corruption cases. Netanyahu is due to face a pre-trial hearing in October to argue against the charges being filed.

An election loss could leave him more at risk of prosecution, without the shield of parliamentary immunity that his political allies had promised to seek for him.

There is no certainty they would stand by a weakened leader without an obvious public mandate in any coalition-building.

Netanyahu portrays Gantz, 60, as inexperienced and incapable of commanding respect from world leaders such as U.S. President Donald Trump.

Before the last election, Trump gave Netanyahu a lift with U.S. recognition of Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights, captured from Syria in the 1967 Middle East war. This time, the White House seems more preoccupied with Iran.

The Trump administration plans soon to release an Israeli-Palestinian peace plan that may prove a dead letter: The Palestinians have rejected it in advance as biased.

Netanyahu's open door in Washington and other world capitals, at a combustible time on Israel's borders with Syria, Gaza and Lebanon, remains a big draw domestically.

In the final hours of campaigning, Netanyahu strained every sinew, urging voters to support him to avert what he described as the "disaster" of a left-wing government.

His voice hoarse, the veteran leader took to the streets and social media, at one point using a megaphone in Jerusalem's bus station, to appeal to voters to extend his unbroken decade in power.

"There's no one else running who is worthy of being prime minister," said Alon Gal, a 53-year-old hi-tech manager. "With (Netanyahu), at least I know who I am dealing with."

In Gaza, Palestinians awaited the results of the vote.

"This election affects many things in our life," said Mohamad Abdul Hay Hasaneen, a janitor in the city of Khan Younis. "There might be limited escalations after the election, but I don’t think this would result in a full war."

(Reporting by Jeffrey Heller, Dan Williams and Maayan Lubell and Stephen Farrell; Editing by Mark Heinrich and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-09-18

If (and need to stress that if) the exist polls are correct, then Netanyahu certainly took a political blow. Both in terms of electoral support and campaign decisions (decimating/cannibalizing/buying off smaller right-wing parties).

In some ways this is a good, or at least better, result than expected. The coalition forming part will be complicated by many constraints and differences, some of which are outlined in the OP. Then again, with the lure of power (or the threat of being left out) maybe some differences would be put aside - nothing new there.

On the other hand this could turn out to be a Pyrrhic victory - if Netanyahu manages to form a narrow right wing, ultra orthodox coalition, then given his diminished political power, he'd be more open to go along with more extreme policies on both fronts. Anything to avoid or delay prosecution.

I am sure hoping they show this warmongering hater the door. The world would be a far, far better place without him. Bye, bye Bibi. Hopefully he will be subject to intense probes for the rest of his life, and will eventually be jailed for the massive corruption he and his wife have engaged in. 

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I am sure hoping they show this warmongering hater the door. The world would be a far, far better place without him. Bye, bye Bibi. Hopefully he will be subject to intense probes for the rest of his life, and will eventually be jailed for the massive corruption he and his wife have engaged in. 

What is the 'massive corruption' that you speak of ?

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I say not.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

According to media reports, with over 90% of the votes checked, it's more like a draw with a slight advantage to Netanyahu. Still less than he hoped for, still short of allowing him a comfortable coalition (if at all).

12 hours ago, Morch said:

No, they do no seem like "minor irregularities". You've either uninterested in details or trolling.

They seem like minor irregularities to me and they are only accusations .

Spidermike claimed that Ben Net had been involved in 'massive corruption' whereas in reality Ben Net has been accused of minor irregularities . What he has been accused of are regular things that happen in business and politics

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

They seem like minor irregularities to me and they are only accusations .

Spidermike claimed that Ben Net had been involved in 'massive corruption' whereas in reality Ben Net has been accused of minor irregularities . What he has been accused of are regular things that happen in business and politics

I'll repeat, you either ignore the facts or trolling. There is no way of framing this stuff as "minor irregularities". Israel had previous prime ministers resign and/or put in prison for much less.

As for these being "only accusations", again - either uninformed or trolling. Three state witnesses from Netanyahu's inner circle gave detailed testimonies. The reason this drags on is more to do with Netanyahu delay and intimidation tactics. Again, previous Israeli Prime Minister resigned before even coming to this step.

Here's what Netanyahu had to say about such matters when  he was in the opposition (referencing the then Prime Minister, who was under suspicion/investigation):

"....He does not have a public or moral mandate to determine such fateful matters for the state of Israel when there is the fear, and I have to say it is real and not without basis, that he will make decisions based on his personal interest in political survival and not based on the national interest.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/13/world/middleeast/netanyahu-israel-corruption.html

According to media reports, with over 90% of the votes checked, it's more like a draw with a slight advantage to Netanyahu. Still less than he hoped for, still short of allowing him a comfortable coalition (if at all).
Winning is forming a government. I think he will fail.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'll repeat, you either ignore the facts or trolling. There is no way of framing this stuff as "minor irregularities". Israel had previous prime ministers resign and/or put in prison for much less.

As for these being "only accusations", again - either uninformed or trolling. Three state witnesses from Netanyahu's inner circle gave detailed testimonies. The reason this drags on is more to do with Netanyahu delay and intimidation tactics. Again, previous Israeli Prime Minister resigned before even coming to this step.

Here's what Netanyahu had to say about such matters when  he was in the opposition (referencing the then Prime Minister, who was under suspicion/investigation):

"....He does not have a public or moral mandate to determine such fateful matters for the state of Israel when there is the fear, and I have to say it is real and not without basis, that he will make decisions based on his personal interest in political survival and not based on the national interest.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/13/world/middleeast/netanyahu-israel-corruption.html

I would appreciate if we could talk without you accusing me of being a troll , everything I post , you suggest that I'm trolling .

If thats what you think of me and if thats going to be you reply to my posts , theres really no point in myself responding to your posts .

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

I would appreciate if we could talk without you accusing me of being a troll , everything I post , you suggest that I'm trolling .

If thats what you think of me and if thats going to be you reply to my posts , theres really no point in myself responding to your posts .

He has moderator envy?

As for these being "only accusations", again - either uninformed or trolling.

OK. We are talking abut criminal acts .

Unless you have been to Court and been found guilty of the accusations , they remain just accusations .

What were the accusations that BN has been found guilty of and are now no longer merely accusations , but proven acts of mass corruption ?

Inform me Morch

18 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I would appreciate it if you address facts rather than blatantly ignoring them and going on an alternative facts auto loop. There is no take in which the issues detailed can be construed as minor  irregularities, other, perhaps than if one fully embraces Netanyahu's narrative.

As said, previous Prime Minister had to step down for much less. Netanyahu's own view, when he was in the opposition, is that this is how it ought to be.

I notice you fail to address these points.

12 minutes ago, sanemax said:

OK. We are talking abut criminal acts .

Unless you have been to Court and been found guilty of the accusations , they remain just accusations .

What were the accusations that BN has been found guilty of and are now no longer merely accusations , but proven acts of mass corruption ?

Inform me Morch

Ok, so were playing word games. Have a ball. When you say they are "just" accusations - is this to be understood as you think there's no substance to them? Despite all the information that have already been released, leaked and exposed over the years?

He's been avoiding investigations, and a possible trial for years, through delays, political ploys, favorable appointments and intimidation. You think he does this because he's innocent, or that such conduct is a reasonable one, we'll have to disagree.

There are recordings. Some made public of serious attempts to mess with media outlets, sometimes in his favor, sometimes in allies favor. You want to call these "just" accusations, you'll have to explain how they can be otherwise interpreted.

I would appreciate it if you address facts rather than blatantly ignoring them and going on an alternative facts auto loop. There is no take in which the issues detailed can be construed as minor  irregularities, other, perhaps than if one fully embraces Netanyahu's narrative.

As said, previous Prime Minister had to step down for much less. Netanyahu's own view, when he was in the opposition, is that this is how it ought to be.

I notice you fail to address these points.

Iam still trying to find out what BN has done which is wrong and it would be going off topic to mention other politicians .

I have addressed the facts and I..................have gotton bored talking to you, so see ya

Just now, sanemax said:

Iam still trying to find out what BN has done which is wrong and it would be going off topic to mention other politicians .

I have addressed the facts and I..................have gotton bored talking to you, so see ya

I don't think you're "trying to find out" anything. This was discussed on past topics, with your participation. There was also a link provided in this topic, and generally, the information is readily available. You haven't addressed any facts, but rather deflected.

Mentioning other politicians is off topic? It provides context and precedent. Would you include Netanyahu's own comment on this as "off topic" now?

39 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Are you kidding? The man is literally about to be indicted for several bribery and corruption charges for which they already have proof. Any Israeli knows he's guilty - but his supporters don't care that he is. The man is clearly out for himself now, and this political circus is about keeping him out of jail, not out of what's good for Israel. In any case there should be term limits - it's ridiculous that a prime minister can serve 5-6 terms. As the saying goes - absolute power corrupts absolutely.

12 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Are you kidding? The man is literally about to be indicted for several bribery and corruption charges for which they already have proof. Any Israeli knows he's guilty - but his supporters don't care that he is. The man is clearly out for himself now, and this political circus is about keeping him out of jail, not out of what's good for Israel. In any case there should be term limits - it's ridiculous that a prime minister can serve 5-6 terms. As the saying goes - absolute power corrupts absolutely.

IMO , accepting gifts and doing a favour for a favour , isnt such a serious matter

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

He has three upcoming trials. Do you think that is all fictitious? Caused by nothing? The man is as corrupt as the earth is wide. 

No , but they are currently allegations .

Before you make the claim that he has 'been engaging in massive corruption' , you need to wait until he has been found guilty of any charges

Archived