Eye-contact In The Street

simon43

none of the above ,

reality is there's not a lot to smile about at the moment ................................

Probably this is it...

No it isn't, the Thais are happy and buzzing about doing their things as usual.

I read these posts a lot "I was here 2 years ago, the Thais were happier they all smiled at me then", "I was here 5 years ago the Thais were happier they all smiled at me then" etc .

In reality the Thais haven't changed, you have, rose tinted glasses become clearer, you become more sensitive to the Thai people's action around you and so on.

If 1 girl out a 100 smiled at you when you first come here you would think, 'Great what happy smiling people'. Now you get the same 1 in 100 people smile at you and you complain that before it used to be 2 in 100. :o

A badly made point but I'm sure you get the drift, nostalgia of the those first months in Thailand clouds your judgement.

I don't often agree with madness :D but he's spot on this time :D

I see more smiles just walking to a 711 in LOS than I see over here in a whole month. A smile from a stranger is suspect here so better not to return it, you may be taken for a fruitloop, a pervert or gay, which is okay if you are any of the latter and depending on the object of your smile. Even now, when I step off that plane in BKK I can forget my no-smile rule. It was christened LOS for a good reason and nowhere in my travels have I seen a people so into "sanuk" as the Thais. I haven't noticed on my last trips that there are less, maybe because there are so many, I don't miss one or two.

none of the above ,

reality is there's not a lot to smile about at the moment ................................

Probably this is it...

No it isn't, the Thais are happy and buzzing about doing their things as usual.

I read these posts a lot "I was here 2 years ago, the Thais were happier they all smiled at me then", "I was here 5 years ago the Thais were happier they all smiled at me then" etc .

In reality the Thais haven't changed, you have, rose tinted glasses become clearer, you become more sensitive to the Thai people's action around you and so on.

If 1 girl out a 100 smiled at you when you first come here you would think, 'Great what happy smiling people'. Now you get the same 1 in 100 people smile at you and you complain that before it used to be 2 in 100. :o

A badly made point but I'm sure you get the drift, nostalgia of the those first months in Thailand clouds your judgement.

I don't often agree with madness :D but he's spot on this time :D

Agree, I haven't noticed any changes in eye contact on the street myself, in fact if anything there is more eye contact now than when I came to Thailand two or three coups ago.