Do they test you on the way out ?

if you leave the country, they only check if you was in overstay or not ????

if you want to stay in the country, it should be a different story and probably 

an immigration officer is going to talk to you in thai if you ask a new ED visa

Edited by kingofthemountain

24 minutes ago, Bentley333 said:

Ed Visa-interview renewal-Vietnam

Day 1

Currently, at the Vietnam HCMC airport departing with my daughter (22yrs) following the renewal of her 1 st year Ed Visa. Put simply, she has been granted a second year visa from the Consulate although it was a stressful experience. To help others I have made a few notes.

When we arrived at the Consulate for the visa application she was interviewed briefly in Thai by firstly the front desk staff. The office was busy and a plate glass separated the parties. It was problematic to fully understand the staff member. She finally took the application pack, fee and advised to return the following day for the 'result'.

Noteworthy, no appointments is necessary for the Ed Visa at HCMC. You simply walk of the street and enter the Consular building.

The issue developed the following day. 

Day 2

We arrived in the afternoon as directed and were asked to take a seat alongside one other waiting for the outcome of the same.

My daughter was finally called into the interview office. I was excluded. In the office she was met with a 25 minute interview in Thai. 

The questions included:

Language related:

1. Introduce yourself-name, age, location of home and study;

2. Name 10 items in the room ie whiteboard, clock, chair, desk etc;

3. Count to 30;

4. Name your body parts;

5. Days of the week;

6. He wrote a small number of Thai sentences on the board and asked to translate.

Details of the course:

1. location, attendance frequency, content, teacher's name etc.

Income and board:

1. How do you support yourself?

2. Are you working?

3. How does your retired father support you. His he working?

Other:

My daughter said the officer was cooperative, intelligent and spoke fluent English. She told the officer she was unable to read Thai. She was also very nervous throughout and couldn't answer some of the questions. Nevertheless, she was granted the visa.

She pointed out, in the 1st year the course content was made up of nouns, pronouns, adjectives and verbs. She had allotted about 300 words in total but was only conversant with constructing simple sentences.

The officer complained about her limited knowledge and the poor quality of language schools in Thailand. We finally left with the visa in hand and went for a few beers!

The lesson to be drawn from is to really attend language classes, and not just use schools to stay long-term. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, thecyclist said:

The lesson to be drawn from is to really attend language classes, and not just use schools to stay long-term. 

No wonder laws are changing / tightening - you should be able to do this and a whole lot more after 4-5 months at a school that actually teaches you.

It should be the schools who are regulated rather than the students punished.

• Like 1

I am amazed to see how much do people here "care" that we are real students and didn't come for the visa.

All westerns, students/retired/etc - are probably coming because they deeply care about the Thai culture ! ????

I don't care about my next ED, because we will never come back here. We (also) had enough.

But from @cerox answer, it seems this question isn't so stupid, and no wonder they do that. Even in Canada they don't.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bentley333 said:

She pointed out, in the 1st year the course content was made up of nouns, pronouns, adjectives and verbs. She had allotted about 300 words in total but was only conversant with constructing simple sentences.

The officer complained about her limited knowledge and the poor quality of language schools in Thailand. We finally left with the visa in hand and went for a few beers!

A first year course that produced only 300 words in total? I have no idea what language program she is attending but both the YMCA and Payap University courses do more than that in a 6 week module. And then there is the intensive Thai course at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok that probably does that in a week. Also, all 3 programs teach reading and writing by at least the 4th module. 

If she is intent on learning Thai, it sounds like she needed to get into a real program. 

David