Karaoke Singer Accuses Policeman Of Chopping Her Arm Off

Mid

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody close to where she lives can open a bank a/c and we can deposit to that ??

I dont have a problem depositing direct into her bank account. Long as we are assured it is her account. Anybody know her or her details?

You don't need to know someone to get their bank account number (and much more) in Thailand... We could try to get our bank contacts do a little pro bono perhaps.

Would someone please volunteer some of their time to recheck the Thai media and get the correct spelling of her name in Thai, please?

anybody close to where she lives can open a bank a/c and we can deposit to that ??

I dont have a problem depositing direct into her bank account. Long as we are assured it is her account. Anybody know her or her details?

You don't need to know someone to get their bank account number (and much more) in Thailand... We could try to get our bank contacts do a little pro bono perhaps.

Would someone please volunteer some of their time to recheck the Thai media and get the correct spelling of her name in Thai, please?

This is her name in Thai: น.ส.สุพรรษา วิชานันท

Finding her bank account is probably still the simplest but I did send an e-mail to a Foundation in Bangkok that works for women's rights to see if they could assist us in helping this woman. I haven't heard back yet but that was only last night.

I remember another poster saying he had contacts with a Thai television station that would come film. I wonder if they could take charge of the whole thing and collect money also?

The cops involved in this deserve to be in jail for life. Pigs like this are the reason why Thailand has so many problems. The police here need to be cleaned up with a purge by the military. The policehave always been the mafia. They deserve no respect from the people of Thailand. And I have heard that the initial cause of the southern violence is the result of sending corrupt cops and soldiers from the rest of Thailand to the southernmost provinces as punishment. They were put there instead of being fired. They abused the locals and now we have endless violence.

As Thaksin had his war on drugs, the current government needs to have War on Corruption focused on getting rid of all mafia in Thailand including corrupt police. If 2,000 corrupt cops were removed as Thaksin did with the 'drug dealers' Thailand would be a lot better off.

Edited by Aujuba

Finding her bank account is probably still the simplest but I did send an e-mail to a Foundation in Bangkok that works for women's rights to see if they could assist us in helping this woman. I haven't heard back yet but that was only last night.

I remember another poster saying he had contacts with a Thai television station that would come film. I wonder if they could take charge of the whole thing and collect money also?

We've started our efforts and will inform everyone of the progress as appropriate. Hopefully all others who are doing outreach to their contacts will continue to post here so no effort is duplicated.

If this is done, it is best it is done quietly, in our opinion. It should be enough to just provide the relevant information to any who wish to donate and perhaps inform Miss Suphansa of the reason why certain sums are unexpectedly appearing in her account.

Any significant publicity could lessen the amount of a damage award she might subsequently receive from the courts or other sources. Conversely, we recognize that greater exposure might gain her a greater net benefit, so it's something which deserves a responsible debate here.

The cops involved in this deserve to be in jail for life. Pigs like this are the reason why Thailand has so many problems. The police here need to be cleaned up with a purge by the military. The policehave always been the mafia. They deserve no respect from the people of Thailand.

The police and the army are 2 of Thailands most corrupt organisations and they are more powerful than any democratic political system. The democratic political system is only "tolerated" by the army as long as there enough money and power going to the army. Although there's some tention between the police and the army, they will never try to clean-up the other. If the army would clean up the police the next step would be cleaning up themselves, something they clearly don't want to do.

The cops involved in this deserve to be in jail for life. Pigs like this are the reason why Thailand has so many problems. The police here need to be cleaned up with a purge by the military. The policehave always been the mafia. They deserve no respect from the people of Thailand. And I have heard that the initial cause of the southern violence is the result of sending corrupt cops and soldiers from the rest of Thailand to the southernmost provinces as punishment. They were put there instead of being fired. They abused the locals and now we have endless violence.

As Thaksin had his war on drugs, the current government needs to have War on Corruption focused on getting rid of all mafia in Thailand including corrupt police. If 2,000 corrupt cops were removed as Thaksin did with the 'drug dealers' Thailand would be a lot better off.

Ah, another war on... I feel a major rant coming on. I found out about this case by logging onto Thaivisa and not through my wife, a fact which bothers me. You see my wife is one of the most compasionate people you could meet, someone who campaigned to get rid of Thaksin for his corruption, so why the silence? I put it down to a fatigue with the status quo here which is currently one of a redneck/mafia society. Now hideous beastial acts can be committed by all nationalities and tend to be a feature of the feral disenfranchised underclass of most developed societies. What I find so deeply disturbing here is how the mafia here get a uniform and paypacket and the trappings of official office, yet they seem to have the sole function of upholding the status quo and not the law.

So what can be done? I would say a good start would be to keep this incident in the eyes of the international press and by all means try to raise comphensation for the victim. This should be comphensation and NOT hush money or the status quo will be unfortunately maintained. As a personal wish I would like a body such as amnesty international highlight incidents where a Countries treatment of its citizens falls so far below internationally recognised norms, unfortunately that is a can of worms that will probably never get opened.

The story of the maimed woman lasted only two days in the Thai media. No visible updates since. I, for one, am curious to know how this is playing out. If I was a hot shot Thai lawyer, I'd volunteer to give legal assistance to the woman.

From a humanitarian perspective, her social standing has nothing to do with the henious crime and subsequent cover-up by the police station. From a Thai view, her social status and the fact she's a female has a lot to do with why she should be treated as a lesser plaintiff, than say an important male - or even shunned(!)

The butchers are out on bail. For sure, they're running around trying to do damage control - with threats and money. Had the sickos known what they know now, they'd have offed her.

We've started our efforts and will inform everyone of the progress as appropriate. Hopefully all others who are doing outreach to their contacts will continue to post here so no effort is duplicated.

If this is done, it is best it is done quietly, in our opinion. It should be enough to just provide the relevant information to any who wish to donate and perhaps inform Miss Suphansa of the reason why certain sums are unexpectedly appearing in her account.

Any significant publicity could lessen the amount of a damage award she might subsequently receive from the courts or other sources. Conversely, we recognize that greater exposure might gain her a greater net benefit, so it's something which deserves a responsible debate here.

Great stuff Thai Spy....Your the man!

Ah, another war on... I feel a major rant coming on. I found out about this case by logging onto Thaivisa and not through my wife, a fact which bothers me. You see my wife is one of the most compasionate people you could meet, someone who campaigned to get rid of Thaksin for his corruption, so why the silence? I put it down to a fatigue with the status quo here which is currently one of a redneck/mafia society. Now hideous beastial acts can be committed by all nationalities and tend to be a feature of the feral disenfranchised underclass of most developed societies. What I find so deeply disturbing here is how the mafia here get a uniform and paypacket and the trappings of official office, yet they seem to have the sole function of upholding the status quo and not the law.

So what can be done? I would say a good start would be to keep this incident in the eyes of the international press and by all means try to raise comphensation for the victim. This should be comphensation and NOT hush money or the status quo will be unfortunately maintained. As a personal wish I would like a body such as amnesty international highlight incidents where a Countries treatment of its citizens falls so far below internationally recognised norms, unfortunately that is a can of worms that will probably never get opened.

"You see my wife is one of the most compasionate people you could meet, someone who campaigned to get rid of Thaksin for his corruption, so why the silence?"

Steely Dan, my wife is the same, was outraged by the police actions and felt really sorry for the girl. However, when I mentioned our attempts to set up a fund for the poor lass she replied "careful, police!!"

A little off topic, but apparantly there was another incident a couple of days ago on Thai TV where a dispute broke out at a service staion over a 49 1/2 baht fuel purchase by a youg couple. My wife had to translate, and her English is not good (so I could be off track) but apparantly the servo operater wanted 50 baht when the bowser only said 49 1/2. An argument broke out, a Thai policeman was there buying fuel, next thing the young couple were shot dead by the copper. I believe the girl was 7? months pregnant!

Anybody hear anything? As I say I am not 100% certain due to translation problems.

But but this is Thailand, losing face is wery important here. We need to accept that and embrace this culture. *spit*

I know I'm going to tread on some sensibilities here, but would you give the time of day to a Los Angeles gang member who blows someone away for not showing RESPECT? For respect read face, and frankly I don't care if this sounds condescending but face needs relegating to extinct anthropological record along with female circumcision, honour killings, cannibalism and the strict interpretation of sharia law.

face needs relegating to extinct anthropological record along with female circumcision, honour killings, cannibalism and the strict interpretation of sharia law.

BINGO ..........................

:o

I have passed this story onto 5 national newspapers in the UK asking them to verify the facts and maybe use the story as part of an article illuminating the lawlessness of this country. Since reading this story I now refer to the RTP as 'The Gestapo'.

Perhaps oversesas members could contact their local Thai embassy/consulate and let them know this story is being followed abroad. Then again, the staff at the embassies are just the people who couldn't care less about a factor worker/ karoke singer. Still, it might be good to let them know what their police force is up to back home and that it is not exactly a good advertisement for Unforgettable Thailand.

Any updates on donations for the girl?

"You see my wife is one of the most compasionate people you could meet, someone who campaigned to get rid of Thaksin for his corruption, so why the silence?"

Steely Dan, my wife is the same, was outraged by the police actions and felt really sorry for the girl. However, when I mentioned our attempts to set up a fund for the poor lass she replied "careful, police!!"

A little off topic, but apparantly there was another incident a couple of days ago on Thai TV where a dispute broke out at a service staion over a 49 1/2 baht fuel purchase by a youg couple. My wife had to translate, and her English is not good (so I could be off track) but apparantly the servo operater wanted 50 baht when the bowser only said 49 1/2. An argument broke out, a Thai policeman was there buying fuel, next thing the young couple were shot dead by the copper. I believe the girl was 7? months pregnant!

Anybody hear anything? As I say I am not 100% certain due to translation problems.

Yes it was just in the news. Apparently two police officers wanted their tank filled up with 50 baht. The attendant filled it up to 49.75 baht. The officers demanded he fill the remaining 0.25 baht but the attendant said if he did it would just go over. The officers continued to demand so he said that he would return 1 baht, but the officers still wanted the 0.25 satang of gas. So the attendant went and fetched the owner, the owner and the officers argued, they fought, the pregnant wife got scared and brought out a stick to go help her husband and the officers shot them both (claiming self defense). The story still doesn't make complete sense but that's what I heard.

Back to the topic at hand though, my thai/akha co-worker was outraged by the story of the officer chopping of the arm of the woman and is all for us helping her. She's willing to help me find a way to help the victim.

Earlier I said that I contacted a Thai Foundation for Women in Central Thailand. I haven't heard back from them yet but will let you know when I do. I may have my co-worker write them again as her written Thai will certainly be more eloquent (and hopefully effective) than mine.

But but this is Thailand, losing face is wery important here. We need to accept that and embrace this culture. *spit*

Exactly - good one.

as have said before - Thai's care so much about face because they are always losing it - the bairns of Asia in regards to face - most others get it

Back to the topic at hand though, my thai/akha co-worker was outraged by the story of the officer chopping of the arm of the woman and is all for us helping her. She's willing to help me find a way to help the victim.

Earlier I said that I contacted a Thai Foundation for Women in Central Thailand. I haven't heard back from them yet but will let you know when I do. I may have my co-worker write them again as her written Thai will certainly be more eloquent (and hopefully effective) than mine.

Are you referring to this organization?

http://www.friendsofwomen.net

If so there is a telephone number listed on their website.

From our efforts, we have very little good news to report on this initiative. Our friends in the banking community just don't want to get involved unless they get paid. Considering some of the risk factors, that's understandable, although we've made it very clear that payment for their help won't be happening. The main sticking point seems to be that since the situation involves the Thai police, they fear some form of blowback since their internal enquiries would be logged and traceable.

What might be better is for this part of the initiative to be decentralized. If any user who has a close relative or friend working in a bank, or a strong relationship with a senior bank manager, would simply ask their contact at the branch level...

In LOS, 'maintaining face' is always takes precedence over 'doing the right thing.'

This harkens back to the policeman who was shot point blank with several witnesses in a bar - a few years ago. The killer was the youngest son of a prominent politician. Even though the killer ran off, and wasn't heard of again for weeks, he ended up getting off with nary a slap on the wrist. All the witnesses lied. The killer was initially sheltered by an Army general (there is no law against harboring a fugitive in Thailand). The killer's VIP father lied. Indeed, lying in such scenarios is so common and accepted, that most Thai people don't even know the difference between telling the truth or telling a lie.

It's second nature to lie when protecting themselves or someone familiar. Sure, it happens in all other countries, but the difference here is, "telling the truth" is considered a ridiculous non-option.

In LOS, 'maintaining face' is always takes precedence over 'doing the right thing.'

This harkens back to the policeman who was shot point blank with several witnesses in a bar - a few years ago. The killer was the youngest son of a prominent politician. Even though the killer ran off, and wasn't heard of again for weeks, he ended up getting off with nary a slap on the wrist. All the witnesses lied. The killer was initially sheltered by an Army general (there is no law against harboring a fugitive in Thailand). The killer's VIP father lied. Indeed, lying in such scenarios is so common and accepted, that most Thai people don't even know the difference between telling the truth or telling a lie.

It's second nature to lie when protecting themselves or someone familiar. Sure, it happens in all other countries, but the difference here is, "telling the truth" is considered a ridiculous non-option.

The prominant politician was also an ex-police chief... And all of his sons are bullying louts.

I've said this before and got panned for it, but its the truth as I see it. Thai people get the government and thus the police force they deserve... Same as every country in the world.

Evil flourishes when good people do nothing. Same as income disparity. Same as endemic corruption. etc.

Before taking up a collection for the girl, let's wait and see if we can't keep ourselves updated on the outcome of the case. If her compensation is paltry, then let's talk about raising a little cash to show her and society that we farangs are watching and we really do care. Maybe we can reserve a bit to buy someone's time around Khlong Toey to deliver justice with lead pipe cruelty.

Evil flourishes when good people do nothing. Same as income disparity. Same as endemic corruption. etc.

spot on.

Apathy might well be the most harmful crime in LOS.

I agree with the last few contributors, let's show that we are not apathetic, and that we do care.

How are we doing in setting up an account to collect the money? If it's a problem, then can I help? Could it be as easy as setting up a new personal account and collecting the money (I'd put some checks in place to show that I'm not going to run off with the money). - I'd be happy to do that.

spot on.

Apathy might well be the most harmful crime in LOS.

I agree with the last few contributors, let's show that we are not apathetic, and that we do care.

How are we doing in setting up an account to collect the money? If it's a problem, then can I help? Could it be as easy as setting up a new personal account and collecting the money (I'd put some checks in place to show that I'm not going to run off with the money). - I'd be happy to do that.

I guess collecting is only part of the problem, we then need to get it to her, whereever she is?