Windows Updates The Last Week Or So?...

glassdude007

hi guys is it just me or has windows updates been flucking up the last week or so...i dont normaly use auto updates. last week or so it tells me windows update download ready for my computer. it downloads the file and then five minutes later it tells me the same thing with the same windows file number, been like this for a week now??? pain in the ass as when i turn of my computer it thinks i have downloads waiting...

has this happened too anybody else reacently????

by the way im using windows xp,cleared my cookies and temp int files, and run all my spyware/virus stuff and comes back clean..all else is working fine....

any sugestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks...glassdude007 :o

Edited by glassdude007

no idea/. I-m running WinXP/SP2 too. I-ve had two updates this past week, that I noticed.

Is your copy legit... Maybe it is trying to install an update that cannot be validated?

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying but sometimes the installer program doesn't get completely uninstalled after an update and gets caught in sort of a loop. The way to get rid of it easy is to go to Windows Update, pick one of the non-essential updates (language support for estonian or something) and run it. The installer will get cleaned out after that update runs.

it been happening to me and i noticed it was for windows media player i think not 100%

from wmp 10 update to wmp11

cheers

steve

That would make sense, and is a reason that despite using legitimate XP Pros I don't use auto-update. I don't use WMP preferring to using 'classic' and up to date codecs.

Regards

Try downloading the update manually via DownloadCenter:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/

*Save* the file to a folder on your harddisk (ex: "C:\Downloads"),

do *not* execute it from within your browser.

Afterwards type the following under "Run" in the Start menu:

"C:\Downloads\WindowsXP-KBxxxxxx-x86-ENU.exe" /o

The parameter "/o" (o like overwriteOEM) should do the trick for you.