on behalf of the ASEAN Member States,

at the United Nations Climate Action Summit 2019

United Nations Headquarter, New York, 23 September 2019

Presidents,

Prime Ministers,

Mr. Secretary-General,

Mr. President of the General Assembly,

Distinguished Delegates,

I have the honor to deliver this statement on behalf of the ten ASEAN Member States.

1. ASEAN welcomes the convening of the Climate Action Summit today and commends the Secretary-General for his leadership in addressing the climate change issue continuously.

2. ASEAN is highly vulnerable to impacts of climate change since most of our population lives along low-lying coasts and river plains. The increased impacts of climate change have increasingly threatened the region’s economic and social progress. In this regard, we have strived to strengthen our resilience by implementing both climate change mitigation and adaptation measures.

3. ASEAN is committed to be actively involved in global climate action at various levels.

At the global level, ASEAN strongly supports efforts under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. All ASEAN Member States are Parties to the Paris Agreement and have communicated their Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs).

At the regional level, ASEAN has been implementing strategic measures under the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community Blueprint 2025 in order to move towards “Sustainable Climate” and to realize a resilient community. ASEAN has key targets which include

(1) Targets on energy transition ASEAN has exceeded its energy efficiency target, reducing energy intensity by more than 21.9% compared to 2005 levels, well ahead of its 2020 target. ASEAN will continue to work towards the long-term target to reduce energy intensity by 30% by 2025 and have also set a target to increase the component of renewable energy mix by 23% by 2025.

(2) Targets on land transport ASEAN aims to reduce the average fuel consumption of new light-duty vehicles sold in ASEAN by 26% between 2015 and 2025. ASEAN will also introduce and strengthen fiscal policy measures based on fuel economy or on CO2 emissions at national level; and promote the adoption of national fuel consumption standards for light-duty vehicles, striving towards a regional standard in the long term.

4. ASEAN stresses the direct linkage between climate action and all means of implementation, including capacity-building, transfer of technology and financial support. Today is an opportunity for developed countries to deliver on their financial commitments, and we also hope to see their strong political signals to scale-up climate finance that is secure, predictable and sustainable in the post-2020 context.

Distinguished Delegates,

5. The IPCC special report warned us that we have less time to avoid potentially irreversible climate disruption. No one country can fight climate change alone, therefore partnership is vital.

6. ASEAN stands ready to advance our partnership with the global community on climate action to ensure sustainability for present and future generations.

Thank you

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376631

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-24

No mention of all the coal-fired power stations being built across ASEAN nations then? Or the continuous subsidies in countries such as Thailand to aid private transport options over public transport systems? Or the huge subsidies provided to encourage double or triple cropping of intensive rice based agriculture, adding hugely to methane emissions? I could go on about the lack of attention to countering the looming threat of climate change that will hit ASEAN members states harder than most regions of the world, but realise that with people like Gen Prayuth in charge, it is like trying to convince the child-like Trump that climate change is real and it's about to hit the US as hard as anywhere else. He only avoided having his Mar-el-Lago playpen and much of the rest of Florida wiped out by Hurricane Dorian by a whisker a few weeks ago. Climate breakdown is too big a concept and reality for some people to get their heads around.

The amount of <deleted> shoved into the atmosphere by some of our more notable countries, you would if you cut everything off that pollutes the atmosphere,  it still would take a hundred years to clear, global warming is in the making like it or not, the earth slowly rotating towards the sun, the sun will devour the earth in about 5 hundred million years , enjoy it while you can. 

1 hour ago, chainarong said:

global warming is in the making like it or not, the earth slowly rotating towards the sun, the sun will devour the earth in about 5 hundred million years , enjoy it while you can. 

Aha, yes this is true but I know how to stop it: we have to tax people, let's call it a sun tax, that'll stop it.

2) Targets on land transport ASEAN aims to reduce the average fuel consumption of new light-duty vehicles sold in ASEAN by 26% between 2015 and 2025. ASEAN will also introduce and strengthen fiscal policy measures based on fuel economy or on CO2 emissions at national level; and promote the adoption of national fuel consumption standards for light-duty vehicles, striving towards a regional standard in the long term.

----------------------

Nice speech between 2015 and 2025. Why I see more new pickup and SUV ?

18 hours ago, brianthainess said:

633825719_images(14).jpg.ade4743b24009979c3dc6e87da48a7b7.jpg16yrs.jpg.4602b053979d1721d8c1b1b411e64267.jpgc1_1540166_180915072015_620x413.jpg.2e9f5c147a670793e97f88d8e5f78319.jpg16.jpg.0d2471c11fb00d55f9a04ed80145af3e.jpg

Why compare Greta Thunberg with General Prayuth? Where are the similarities? You may not like her message, perhaps, but she'sbeing listened to, unlike the General. She's also running rings around that other man-boy, Trump, turning his tweets back at him to great effect. She's acting like one of the few adults in the room, like she did at Davos, and now even the World Economic Forum are producing videos promoting her message.

On 9/25/2019 at 1:18 PM, plachon said:

Why compare Greta Thunberg with General Prayuth? Where are the similarities? You may not like her message, perhaps, but she'sbeing listened to, unlike the General. She's also running rings around that other man-boy, Trump, turning his tweets back at him to great effect. She's acting like one of the few adults in the room, like she did at Davos, and now even the World Economic Forum are producing videos promoting her message.

Oh god in no way was i trying to compare her with him, how did you twist that? My post was to try and show the anger i feel with the little general who in my opinion has done naff all about climate change coal fired power plants and the burning off of land etc,  and i agree with her 100%

On 9/26/2019 at 7:58 AM, brianthainess said:

Oh god in no way was i trying to compare her with him, how did you twist that? My post was to try and show the anger i feel with the little general who in my opinion has done naff all about climate change coal fired power plants and the burning off of land etc,  and i agree with her 100%

That's a relief......it was just the juxtaposition of GT and Prayuth next to the WD "Shut-up!" picture that made me think that. Better to have put Trump and Prayuth together, who both spout too much hot air and are an utter waste of space on this crowded planet that they both seem hell-bent on destroying with their love of coal and other fossil fuels. Both fossil fools.   

Archived