Supreme Court: Suspending Parliament was unlawful, judges rule

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

There's absolutely no correlation between whether someone is married to a Thai or not and whether someone is a racist or not. I have met a number of people who are married to Thais and are racists. Similarly I've met many Thai women who are married to a farang and are overtly racist. My wife, for one.

"I am married to a Thai" is no defence against the accusation of being racist.

An approach that saw many an ancestor burned at the stake or going for a swim! :blink:

image.jpeg.44ebc4249d47ed24e2484881fb3608b8.jpeg

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, evadgib said:

The same 100k wagered elsewhere for not being...?

Image result for grouse logo

I have ? Yes ok I’m not short of a few quid - do we have a deal ? 

100k for both - when I win it will go to charity can’t say fairer than that 

Again though, if you google your friend aka Grouse and TVF together you can probably talk to him/her directly on the forum he’s on -  he/she is clearly not happy!

However assuming you are going to run a mile from backing yourself I’ll leave it here and fly off! (pun intended) 

(I’m no grass but you do know stalking is a criminal offence now ?)

15 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

I have ? Yes ok I’m not short of a few quid - do we have a deal ? 

100k for both - when I win it will go to charity can’t say fairer than that 

Again though, if you google your friend aka Grouse and TVF together you can probably talk to him/her directly on the forum he’s on -  he/she is clearly not happy!

However assuming you are going to run a mile from backing yourself I’ll leave it here and fly off! (pun intended) 

(I’m no grass but you do know stalking is a criminal offence now ?)

As the earlier 100k was pledged under your alias 'Handsome Gardner' the above confession is very much appreciated & my chosen charity is https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/

I look forward to seeing the receipt ????

(Wot woz that about running a mile & stalking?)

12 hours ago, Forethat said:

Oh, absolutely; smart and efficient people like myself get ridiculously well paid contracts in the middle of the action. Hopefully, you're paying.

I don’t know you well enough to gauge your efficiency but having read your posts I can safely rule out the ‘smart’ bit ????????

First you were a spy, then you worked for the government, then you own a company etc etc - when looking at the evidence it would appear you’re sat in your flat posting to forums and watching TV - how’s things up there Mr Mitty ? ????

7 minutes ago, evadgib said:

As the earlier 100k was pledged under your alias 'Handsome Gardner' the above confession is very much appreciated & my chosen charity is https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/

I look forward to seeing the receipt ????

Oh my word - but you said I was Grouse? so now I’m three people right ? Any others ? Am I ‘Spidey’ and the other guy on that link ? This stalking is a bit out of hand I fear 

The 100k second referendum bet I presume is a non starter ? 

Right I’m off to take all myselfs down to the beach - we all need a swim !

13 hours ago, Loiner said:

Nothing to distance from. It’s all true, even without mentioning any of the different races on that continent.

Just another ‘waycist’ moan from a Remainer who doesn’t like it when it’s noted that they have dragged our politics and courts to third world levels.

I asked:

? cyclists ? waycists ?

What are you talking about ?

Loiner replied, and was liked by Eva and Bild "What’s up, is it like too far out for you man? Lay off the weed a bit. You should know by now."

Could any of the triplets explain? Just trolling or lost in space? This may not break forum rules, but this is a forum for adults.

1 hour ago, Bruntoid said:

I don’t know you well enough to gauge your efficiency but having read your posts I can safely rule out the ‘smart’ bit ????????

First you were a spy, then you worked for the government, then you own a company etc etc - when looking at the evidence it would appear you’re sat in your flat posting to forums and watching TV - how’s things up there Mr Mitty ? ????

A spy!? :cheesy:

Baha, I've never really taken you seriously, but this was a bit over the top even by your standards...! 

And yes, I do work for the government. And yes, I do own the company. It must pi** you off something awful...!

21 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I asked:

? cyclists ? waycists ?

Loiner replied, and was liked by Eva and Bild "What’s up, is it like too far out for you man? Lay off the weed a bit. You should know by now."

Could any of the triplets explain? Just trolling or lost in space? This may not break forum rules, but this is a forum for adults.

Am I one of the triplets ? I’ve just called my dad to ask him if there’s anything he needs to tell me - (and one of my brothers has darker skin than me so <deleted> knows who I am!!) 

Evad - Mr Grouse it appears according to himself (as you will see if you googled as instructed) was merely suspended so all should be revealed on his return - I hope!! He was also last on here only a few weeks ago looking at the profile (but horribly around the same time I joined ????

I can also confirm his suspension was for calling a brexiteer a moron thus I presume your O’ level detective skills kicked in there - having said that I’m warming to the chap! 

7 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Baha, I've never really taken you seriously, but this was a bit over the top even by your standards...! 

And yes, I do work for the government. And yes, I do own the company. It must pi** you off something awful...!

Like you wouldn’t believe ????

Of course you do Walter, of course you do ????

7 minutes ago, Forethat said:

You forgot about landing on the moon.

Fore!

31 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

Am I one of the triplets ? I’ve just called my dad to ask him if there’s anything he needs to tell me - (and one of my brothers has darker skin than me so <deleted> knows who I am!!) 

Evad - Mr Grouse it appears according to himself (as you will see if you googled as instructed) was merely suspended so all should be revealed on his return - I hope!! He was also last on here only a few weeks ago looking at the profile (but horribly around the same time I joined ????

I can also confirm his suspension was for calling a brexiteer a moron thus I presume your O’ level detective skills kicked in there - having said that I’m warming to the chap! 

I have never felt the need to look and have the strength of character to keep to it ????

16 hours ago, evadgib said:

You would lose by a far bigger majority as you'll soon see in a GE.

A GE election is not the answer to the brexit problem. There is a lot more to a general election than brexit.

A vote against JC cannot be equated to a vote for brexit.

You never know another unpredictable outcome could be the Lib Dems emerging victorious.

1 hour ago, Bruntoid said:

I was referring to Eva - Loiner - Bild.

6 hours ago, Naam said:

because since centuries it's the done thing based on the undocumented British constitution. "Prime Minister suggests, King or Queen signs". i was one of the few who thought "maybe... perhaps... logic prevails" but got disappointed.

ps. my comment "anus horribilis" indicates clearly that i think H.M. is not a Brexiteer. i think there is some mistunderstanding hint... hint...

the year when Princess Diana died was called by H.M. "annus horribilis" (latin for horrible year). my suggestion was to call BoJo "anus horribilis". google anus!

555 There once was a book/movie "Educating Rita", and you now try "Educating Loiner".

You will FAIL, sorry....

On 9/24/2019 at 5:29 PM, johng said:

The whole "Brexit" debacle   from the "flawed" referendum, years of negotiations by a "remainer" prime minister who's deal was rejected by parliament 3 times then failure to ask "the people" again this time in a "legally binding" referendum...  in or out  either way  just get on with it !!!

No such thing as a legally binding referendum in the UK. Not lawful, can only be advisory.

There needs to be a General Election with all parties made to state their policy remain or leave. If leave they must state with a deal or no deal and their plan and time frame to implement.

People can then make their choice.

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

No such thing as a legally binding referendum in the UK. Not lawful, can only be advisory.

There needs to be a General Election with all parties made to state their policy remain or leave. If leave they must state with a deal or no deal and their plan and time frame to implement.

People can then make their choice.

If parliament, on enacting the Bill, declares it legally binding, then it's legally binding. Cameron "forgot" to do that with the previous referendum.

19 hours ago, Loiner said:

i'd love to hear her say "Prime Minister Boris Johnson is an anus horribilis!"

Very unlikely because she’s a Brexiteer. Why do you think she signed to prorogue Parliament?

Because at the time she followed her PM's advice, as is required, and didn't want to spark an even bigger constitutional crisis by seemingly trying to change her purely ceremonial role.

9 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Because at the time she followed her PM's advice, as is required, and didn't want to spark an even bigger constitutional crisis by seemingly trying to change her purely ceremonial role.

Well, if she can't even prevent the law being broken (technically she aided and abetted it). what use is she? Time for her and Phil the Greek to retire back to Corfu methinks. Don't see why the taxpayer should be paying for her and her nineteen homes.

28 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Well, if she can't even prevent the law being broken (technically she aided and abetted it). what use is she? Time for her and Phil the Greek to retire back to Corfu methinks. Don't see why the taxpayer should be paying for her and her nineteen homes.

Corfu? For once I beg to differ with you.

Corfu has too nice a climate for that German family. And they would feel too much at home amongst the British drunks and the German sunbathers. But then again, with the bankruptcy of Thomas Cook, neither the hooligans or she would be able to get there.

Complicated!

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for speaking in my name.

However, please do NOT put words in my mouth that I would not have spoken.

1.  I did not ask you to do so. I am big enough, old enough and ugly enough to do that for myself.

2. Generalisations such as ALL are totally meaningless. 

3. According to you and your unsubstantiated remarks, ALL 17.4 million Brexiteers are guilty of racism.

4. quote from your post. "Now that's got to be a bit embarrassing. Even for you." You are the embarrassment by ranting on about it. 

Quote: According to you and your unsubstantiated remarks, ALL 17.4 million Brexiteers are guilty of racism.

No, as I told you before, only the vast majority (more then 52%) of the brexiteers that post on this forum.

I can accept that you are an exeption.

I asked:
? cyclists ? waycists ?

Lost in space thrown in for good measure? The hippies were always the ones who were spaced out. Like maybe you still are man?

Funny, I always had that gobby German Remainer down as the spacey one, especially on Monday mornings.

555 There once was a book/movie "Educating Rita", and you now try "Educating Loiner".
You will FAIL, sorry....

Hello, I’m mentioned in despatches again.

Hope you are not stalking me. One of your Remainer mates went full diatribe on me, claiming that Remainers don’t stalk and bait. Then got a series of posts deleted.

Looks like you’ve proved him wrong.

Quote: According to you and your unsubstantiated remarks, ALL 17.4 million Brexiteers are guilty of racism.

No, as I told you before, only the vast majority (more then 52%) of the brexiteers that post on this forum.
I can accept that you are an exeption.

You are definitely on something, other than your high horse.

Accusations of Brexiteers and waycism are growing tiresome. I would demand your calculations for 52% but you would only post more drivel. Have a report.

9 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

If parliament, on enacting the Bill, declares it legally binding, then it's legally binding. Cameron "forgot" to do that with the previous referendum.

He didn't forget, he was advised not to. Had it been legally binding then it would have been open to legal challenge which would have almost certainly come within months.

As an advisory referendum the result can only be questioned by MPs and human nature was never going to allow that and reveal there own incompetence.

16 hours ago, Loiner said:

You are definitely on something, other than your high horse.

Accusations of Brexiteers and waycism are growing tiresome. I would demand your calculations for 52% but you would only post more drivel. Have a report.

I just googled "loiner", because some of the subtleties of the English language are lost on me.

I now understand your angry posts much better. And I applaud you for coming out of the closet regarding such a painfull matter.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=loiner

Look for meaning #3.

An interesting take on why the recent court ruling against prorogation may also set a precendent making the Benn Act unconstitutional as well.  I do not have anywhere close to enough of an understanding of English law to decide whether this is a genuine opinion, or the ramblings of a raving lunatic clutching at straws.

Would anyone with more knowledge care to weigh in on whether there is any substance to this argument?

Do yourself a favour, and play the video at 1.5x speed. It's torturous to get through at normal speed.

On 9/24/2019 at 8:26 PM, Forethat said:

He didn't need five weeks. The HOC was supposed to be in recess for party conferences. That left five or six days to prepare. Obviously one could speculate as to whether HOC would postpone the conference recess in case they felt necessary, but that is exactly that - speculations.

Then why did he prorogue for 5 weeks?

He could have done either one of the following.

1) Prorogue for a few days, have the state opening of Parliament and then the House adjourns for the conferences.

2) Wait until after the conference season, prorogue for a few days and have the sate opening.

But he did neither; he prorogued for 5 weeks.

He could still have got away with the longest prorogation since, if I've got my history right, the Exclusion crisis of 1678 had he submitted the requested statement to the Supreme Court outlining his reasons for doing so; but he didn't. Why not?

May could have used his tactics. Having had her agreement voted down she could have prorogued Parliament until after 29th March so we left the EU with her deal by default. It's very easy to imagine the howls of outrage from Brexiteers had she done so!

This shows the difference between May, who for all her faults recognised the sovereignty of Parliament, and Johnson who will do anything, no matter how underhand, to fulfill his ambitions. As his route to Number 10 shows.

56 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Then why did he prorogue for 5 weeks?

He could have done either one of the following.

1) Prorogue for a few days, have the state opening of Parliament and then the House adjourns for the conferences.

2) Wait until after the conference season, prorogue for a few days and have the sate opening.

But he did neither; he prorogued for 5 weeks.

He could still have got away with the longest prorogation since, if I've got my history right, the Exclusion crisis of 1678 had he submitted the requested statement to the Supreme Court outlining his reasons for doing so; but he didn't. Why not?

May could have used his tactics. Having had her agreement voted down she could have prorogued Parliament until after 29th March so we left the EU with her deal by default. It's very easy to imagine the howls of outrage from Brexiteers had she done so!

This shows the difference between May, who for all her faults recognised the sovereignty of Parliament, and Johnson who will do anything, no matter how underhand, to fulfill his ambitions. As his route to Number 10 shows.

As long as he gets us out there's a good many that won't care.

When did the house last sit in September?

Archived