Supreme Court: Suspending Parliament was unlawful, judges rule

Jonathan Fairfield

It must be obvious to anyone listening in to the HOC debate this morning that the opposition is made up of a bunch of ill-behaved cackling donkeys only interested in what the Speaker just now described as a rant-fest. Embarrassing, to say the least.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Johnson said it wasn't to stifle debate, it was for a queens speech. Now, only Johnson knows his true motives, that is not what the court ruled on. They distinctly said they were not concerned with his motive.

image.png.baf0fedbb43f79df17f550bf1e2be237.png

But by any definition, proroguing Parliament is a political decision. It may have been for good political reasons or bad political reasons, but it's still political. And if it's political, the courts should stay away. This is unprecedented. And it's a very bad precedent to set, unless you want every government decision going to the supreme court to be over-ruled by un-elected judges. 

The cynical might suggest abandoning all this election and parliament argy-bargy and simply handing the keys to 10 Downing Street to Gina Miller and telling her to crack on...

3 minutes ago, Forethat said:

It must be obvious to anyone listening in to the HOC debate this morning that the opposition is made up of a bunch of ill-behaved cackling donkeys only interested in what the Speaker just now described as a rant-fest. Embarrassing, to say the least.

Well they're chuffed to NAAFI break! Not only have they put one over on Boris

Johnson, but they have managed to put the boot into the Tory Party conference as well !

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

And by the way, completely off topic (?), but I was challenged by a racist poster, so I have to reply:

1/ Are there inferior and superior races? NO. End of discussion.

2/ Are all cultures equal? Difficult question, that I would be very happy to hear other's opinions about.

However, I am not in the least interested in discussing cultural differences with racists.

Maybe a non-racist can start a thread about that?

By your sanctimonious reconing the only person qualifed to do so would be you.

A law which a majority government could simply repeal. You and your ilk are forever telling us that parliament makes the law. I am sure that a stickler for constitutional probity such as yourself is familiar with the concept that a parliament cannot bind its successors. One can hardly grouse about that!
Parliamentary Majority. Now what happened to that?

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yeah, I've been reading it. It references John Major (who prorogued for 3 weeks before an election in 1997 for his own ends) and Gina Miller (who is bankrolled by dubious foreign interests), and of course the unwritten constitution, which we conveniently can't refer to on account of it not existing in written form.

It's b*****it. No written laws have been broken.

That's why you don't have a real answer to my question "Which law was broken?".
Its not rocket science. Boris blocked from stopping Parliament doing its job. Now one can understand Hard Brexiteers having trouble getting their heads around that. Why? Because they are totally in favour of blocking Parliament ahead of Oct 31. So no problem for them breaking the law. Fortunately the Law Lords stopped them. Well done Gina.

According to the BBC, George Soros had given Gina Miller's "Best for Britain" campaign £800,000 as of June 2018. I'd say he was a well-known currency speculator.

Of course, now I am a racist, since I mentioned George Soros name.
Most guys who throw it into the ring, they are. Big time.

Madness. It's not for the judiciary to tell parliament what to do. The judiciary has now politicised itself when it must be kept out of politics. Who made or influenced this decision? One little old lady? What if that judge was politically biased? Whether or not this particular woman is biased is besides the point - the point is that a court's decision, swayed by who-knows-what personal motives, is being allowed to dictate British politics and British culture for decades to come. Did the judges take into consideration the fact that the purpose of the proroguement is to defend the lawful enactment of the British public's lawful referendum decision, which would otherwise be severely jeopardised?
This is just insane.
Complete misunderstanding. The Law Lords have resolved that Boris Johnson was illegally trying to stop Parliament doing its job. No wonder the Hard Brexiteers are now ranting. They hate Parliament and they hate the Law. Both Enemies of the People. Never mind. [emoji1782]

7 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Complete misunderstanding. The Law Lords have resolved that Boris Johnson was illegally trying to stop Parliament doing its job. No wonder the Hard Brexiteers are now ranting. They hate Parliament and they hate the Law. Both Enemies of the People. Never mind. emoji1782.png

Brexit chant.....

’We want to be governed by the British Parliament and British Courts’......

Oops

5 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Complete misunderstanding. The Law Lords have resolved that Boris Johnson was illegally trying to stop Parliament doing its job. No wonder the Hard Brexiteers are now ranting. They hate Parliament and they hate the Law. Both Enemies of the People. Never mind. emoji1782.png

Enemies of the people, if only the so called people (To Brexiteers that means them and other Brexiteers) would be capable of recognizing who their real enemies are - forlorn hope as this cartoon illustrates perfectly.

There was a post earlier where it was claimed that Farage was not part of the elite. I nearly pisxed myself laughing. The merchant banker, hobnobbing with Trump, and Murdoch, etc - man of the people my ar#e.

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 13.36.50.png

20 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Brexit chant.....

’We want to be governed by the British Parliament and British Courts’......

Oops

Wait until we have a Parliament that represents the electorate.

3 months maximum. You'll be crying into your tofu.

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

That's 1.

Not realy a flying start, and only after 2 reminders.

Well sorry to be so slow, I'm sure! I'm bored with seeing this racist comment oozing into the Brexit and any other threads but I rarely comment on stuff like this, which was off topic and which I didn't like.  

No comment does not necessarily mean approval. 

Well one good thing has come of this. 

In the house of commons :-

Geoffrey Cox: 

"The result of the EU Referendum WAS NOT BINDING on this House"

So now all the Brexiters can stop saying the referendum was binding - the government says not  

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

The supreme court replaced the law lords.

17 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Well sorry to be so slow, I'm sure! I'm bored with seeing this racist comment oozing into the Brexit and any other threads but I rarely comment on stuff like this, which was off topic and which I didn't like.  

No comment does not necessarily mean approval. 

Ahhh Nauseus.

You and your 'Brexit isn't about racism for the majority who voted Leave' when literally every single time a debate on Brexit comes on TVF,  ALL your fellow Brexiteers massively undermine your point by being racist as <deleted>.

Now that's got to be a bit embarrassing. Even for you.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:10 PM, TopDeadSenter said:

This is terrible news. I suppose the verdict here essentially takes us back to 1997 when the then PM John Major prorogued parliament for 3 weeks to stop an inquiry into his govts corruption. So by the fruit of the poisoned tree principles anything that took place after this illegal act effectively didn't happen. All jails will be emptied(except for the few lifers convicted before 1997), all buildings made after 1997 will be tore down as planning has been deemed null and void. At least we can smoke inside pubs again, as from 20 minutes ago.

The ramifications of this will be earth shattering. All to undo the democratic will and referendum result voted by 17.4 million people. Let the madness begin!

Topdead actually unless I'm missing something .......I woke up this morning and felt  just fine !

13 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Ahhh Nauseus.

You and your 'Brexit isn't about racism for the majority who voted Leave' when literally every single time a debate on Brexit comes on TVF,  ALL your fellow Brexiteers massively undermine your point by being racist as <deleted>.

Now that's got to be a bit embarrassing. Even for you.

Spot on - the leave vote was an uneducated racist vote (if it wasn’t what else was there to go on ?) however I don’t condemn them for that, I pity them 

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Yet champions of democracy apparently. ????

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Wait until we have a Parliament that represents the electorate.

3 months maximum. You'll be crying into your tofu.

The electorate no longer want leave - so I’m guessing we don’t have to wait three months ?

We appear to have it already 

2 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

The electorate no longer want leave - so I’m guessing we don’t have to wait three months ?

We appear to have it already 

Is the above statment based on you asking the 33,577,342 that took part in the  2016 United Kingdom European Union membership referendum or is your statement a tissue of lies and you haven't asked the 33,577,342 people that took part any such question

5 hours ago, JamesBlond said:

The leave vote is all about immigration, in case you were not aware. I dare say there are some leavers who declare more euphemistic reasons due to the PC terreur afflicting the nation, but cultural identity is the root of the matter.

If you want to characterise that as racist you will have to admit:

a) that you have no preference for your own culture

b) that you think economic migrants should be welcomed into the UK at the same rate as in recent decades.

Kindly address those points. If you cannot/will not do so, then you are just as 'racist' as I am.

Well I'll at least give you full marks for being honest; something that other Brexit fans seem to struggle with. Brexit was and still is about immigration but I'll show you the difference answering your questions:-

a) that you have no preference for your own culture - that's correct I don't as I believe my 'culture' is made better by the inclusion of others. Their culture can enhance our culture and if for any reason it doesn't, the UK has enough rule of law to see them off.

b) that you think economic migrants should be welcomed into the UK at the same rate as in recent decades. - believe it or not, Remainers don't believe in this open border policy you Brexiteers are so desperate to thrust upon us. The UK has some of the most stringent immigration laws around and has maintained control of it's borders at all times (despite again the demonising of Brexiteers). You have tried desperately to tie EU migration to other forms of migration when they are two very different things. Illegal immigration is just that; illegal so it's doesn't matter what you and I think, the rule of law governs this matter. However I do believe there is far more humanitarian immigration than economic immigration and if someone was just an economic immigrant they would be hard pressed to survive here as they are undocumented. Ever tried to sign on without a social security number? No because it doesn't happen.

Anyway, I'm pleased your have shown your true colours because obviously there is no economic, social or sovereignty issue that many of you try and hide behind. It WAS about immigration and racism which is again why we will be here to thwart you at every turn.  

4 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Is the above statment based on you asking the 33,577,342 that took part in the  2016 United Kingdom European Union membership referendum or is your statement a tissue of lies and you haven't asked the 33,577,342 people that took part any such question

It’s based on every poll I’ve ever seen since, along with the not insignificant number of leavers who have admirably declared it is a cluster<deleted> they couldn’t have possibly imagined -   but if you can get me their numbers I’ll get back to you shortly 

Is a no-deal Brexit positive for the U.K. ? 

2 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

It’s based on every poll I’ve ever seen since, along with the not insignificant number of leavers who have admirably declared it is a cluster<deleted> they couldn’t have possibly imagined -   but if you can get me their numbers I’ll get back to you shortly 

Is a no-deal Brexit positive for the U.K. ? 

Good to see you admitting that your statement was a tissue of lies, as to polls anyone can manipulate any polls to a outcome that they want  have you ever seen a people vote poll that doesn't provide them with the outcome they are seeking 

4 hours ago, the guest said:

... and congratulations for the Supreme courts in interfering with British politics. Just wondering what specific law was broken for them to reach this decision? Pretty pathetic state of affairs that if we're talking about proroguing Parliament, how about the public taking Parliament to court for proroguing 3 years of not respecting the wishes of the majority vote. UK is look more clownish as the days, months, years go by ... the laughing stock of Europe !

Good grief the law broken has been stated at least 20 times !! Can you not read ? 

There is is nothing to stop you taking a case against anyone so instead of spouting off, do it. 

It is brexit and the revelation that the fifth largest economy in the world has 17 million economic illiterates that has made us a laughing stock. Do you have access to the news ? 

Archived