Entering Bangkok on tourist visa. Need an ongoing air ticket?

It seems you are planning to enter visa exempt (no visa from a consulate). The airline will likely want to see an onward flight out of Thailand. If you have a prior history of visits to Thailand as a tourist, Immigration might decide you are not eligible to visit Thailand as a tourist any more. However, I doubt you fit into that category.

You could contact the airline by which you are coming and ask them if an onward ticket is required for boarding.

Most probably they will say YES, in order to avoid having to take you back to your departure country in case you are denied entry.

Even if they say it's not needed for them you might be refused entry by Immigration.

Therefore > If you are reasonably sure when you will leave Thailand, better buy an outbound ticket before arriving in Thailand (you would be an early booker too, so the ticket can be cheaper than waiting till last minute).

If your onward or return plans are not clear yet, then the cheapest possible burner ticket would be the best way to deal with it (e.g. Hat Yai to KL).

Note: In principle also an outward bound bus-ticket should be OK, but probably not recommended when the airline or IO at the airport requests to see your onward or return flight-ticket.

10 hours ago, steven100 said:

as mentioned,  the airline will not let you board unless they see either a return ticket or an onward flight out of Thailand. The 20,000 baht is sufficient but your ticket is the issue.

Not if you get a 6 month multi entry visa from Thai Embassy in your home country before you leave

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hoppyone said:

Not if you get a 6 month multi entry visa from Thai Embassy in your home country before you leave

You can be denied and deported with an MTEV. You shouldn't write untruths. Thai airports are insane. You need to find another destination.

30 minutes ago, Hoppyone said:

That's correct.  When you apply for an METV at the Thai Embassy of your home country it is not required to have an onward or return ticket.  The reason being that such a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa is meant for tourists that want to use Thailand as their home-base while travelling to neighbouring countries.

I have come several times on an METV without an onward or return-ticket (because you can stay up to 9 months with such an METV, and you would be required to leave the country at least twice during its validity).  And have never been asked for a return-ticket by airline nor Immigration.

12 hours ago, khaepmu said:

If I fly into Bangkok hoping to get a tourist stamp on arrival will I definitely need to show an on going air ticket. Would the 20,000 baht suffice in lieu of a ticket. Endless questions these days with immigration they way it has become.

Immigration has not become anything and no new rules were implemented recently. The requirement for 10K for visa exempt entry is not a recent one. It is only the  people who are used to lax immigration rule have started complaining and it is amplified by people posting their own storey in this forum. I have been coming to Thailand for more than 15 years and never caried any cash until recently when I started to carry 20K in my bag. 

Back to the OP. Asked nothing about carry 20k. The op is trying to enter los without visa. Its not visa on arrival as most posters realize. Visa exempt entry. 

You WILL have issue with airline boarding pass. I fly Saigon every 2 weeks. As this question comes up often I gave questioned check in lady. "What are you looking for". Reply., your visa to Thailand. (Im on extensions based on retirement). I show clerk and ask...what if I no have visa/reentry. Her reply...need see flight out of los. I ask if bus ticket OK. Answer NO. 

In fact I fly Saigon tomorrow back Monday. I will have, as always, a clip on reentry permit to make it easy on bulky pp.

For anyone wishing to post they didn't need ongoing flight....yes I'm sure it happens. Never for me.

As members have suggested, you can always roll the dice and book cheap flight online if refused boarding pass.  They accept screen shot.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1