Jump to content

Year long "Medical Visa" proposed to make Thailand top ten for Medical Tourism


webfact

Recommended Posts

Year long "Medical Visa" proposed to make Thailand top ten for Medical Tourism
 
1pm2.jpg
Picture: Daily News
 
Thailand is making a push to encourage more people to come to the kingdom for medical treatment.
 
And they want people to stay longer.
 
So they are making it easier for certain country's nationals to visit and plan to introduce a "Medical Visa" (Non-MT) so visitors can stay for a year. 
 
The countries that will benefit are wealthy first world nations that a deputy prime minister feels will not threaten Thailand's systems and infrastructure. 
 
The proposals were announced yesterday at the health ministry by DPM and health minister Anutin Charnvirakul and tourism and sports minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn. 
 
Two countries are likely to be added to those that can get a 90 day visa exemption for medical tourism - these are the USA and Japan. 
 
At present this applies to six Arab nations and Asean nations Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Vietnam as well as China.
 
The sick person and three others can enter on such visas. 
 
Plans for a new Medical Visa (Non-MT) are also in the offing. Such a visa would encourage medical tourists to stay longer for treatment.
 
They would be able to stay for a whole year with as many ins and outs as they want. 
 
This seems to be aimed at allowing those on such visas easier access to facilities for convalescence in Thailand. 
 
Four countries are being proposed to add to those that can apply for ten year visas - these are South Korea, Belgium, Austria and New Zealand.
 
DPM Anutin said that the countries that would be able to take advantage of the new visa would mostly be those from the first world that do not represent a threat to Thailand's national security or infrastructure. 
 
Daily News said that 3.42 million tourists visited Thailand last year for medical reasons spending 28,000 million baht up around 6% on the previous year. 
 
The aim of the new proposals is to make Thailand figure in the top ten of countries worldwide for medical tourism. 
 
Source: Daily News
 
 
thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-27
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well they had better sort out the inconsistent and too high costs then, otherwise India will always be the first choice for many looking for high quality, cheaper medical services in Asia. The strong Baht is also not helping.   They may like to check on the qualifications of some of their so called 'consultants; too while they are at it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, bring in more unsuspecting clueless people to be cheated and over charged by the local hospitals, yes, Thailand USED to be a cheap destination for all sorts of medical treatment but this is fading fast as greed and the rush to get rich quick is those medical institutions first aim, also, suing for compensations in case of misdiagnosis, mistreatment and general malleffences by the medical profession and the hospital will get you very little if any at all...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Treatment in public hospital in Thailand is just as much if not more than in the West.

 

Yes, care is much better than in the West but it is still just as expansive .

 

Not sure which Arab countries , but know some treatment is paid by the government. 

 

Would one have to provide extensive medical history and treatment plan to get the visa ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, tracker1 said:

Might be better and less hassle then a retirement or retirement visa with the multi entry thrown in just wondering about the TM30 though will they be exempt 

That will probably be their selling point. No need to do TM30. Good, na?

Link to post
Share on other sites

They must be getting desperate

They come up with this type of visa

Or is this just another thinking this will work

Fix the OA Visa first to help all us who live here can stay

Without what are they going to do next to us

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm imagining a lot of digital nomads, serial tourist visa users and the like with more cosmetic surgery than Michael Jackson wandering the Kingdom if this new visa comes to be 😉

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webfact said:

wealthy first world nations that a deputy prime minister feels will not threaten Thailand's systems and infrastructure. 

Expats from Europe who have or will soon, evacuate to Vietnam?

How does a wheelchair-bound geriatric struggling along Thailand's sidewalks threaten infrastructure?

Link to post
Share on other sites

A good few years ago, although living in other countries, I used the hospitals in Bangkok, in preference to any others, including the UK, NHS.  Those days are long gone.  It is now expensive, money driven and I just do not trust the doctors and the advice they give, the treatments on offer and the medicines they (over) prescribe. They have gone all in for a US based system, which is as flawed as any medical provision can be. We even had one so called 'consultant' in women's health ask my wife what drugs she would like the doctor to prescribe.  In the event, none were necessary at all.  May as well use google for all the expertise on offer at many Thai hospitals.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webfact said:

Four countries are being proposed to add to those that can apply for ten year visas - these are South Korea, Belgium, Austria and New Zealand.

Rather than ad countries they should be sorting out the O-X visa itself, and getting rid of the crappy mandatory Thai insurance requirement and adding overseas insurance (which all of their current med treatment visitors are using anyway). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If only google could do remote surgery by robot.  It will come.  Trouble is, if it was a Thai doctor at the other end of the equipment, it would probably remove the cat's head as she passed by. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

A good few years ago, although living in other countries, I used the hospitals in Bangkok, in preference to any others, including the UK, NHS.  Those days are long gone.  It is now expensive, money driven and I just do not trust the doctors and the advice they give, the treatments on offer and the medicines they (over) prescribe. They have gone all in for a US based system, which is as flawed as any medical provision can be. We even had one so called 'consultant' in women's health ask my wife what drugs she would like the doctor to prescribe.  In the event, none were necessary at all.  May as well use google for all the expertise on offer at many Thai hospitals.   

Scary sometimes. I know one guy who suffers from Quervains tendonitis. All over the world the treatment is to immobilise the wrist, don't move the joint and try to keep it as unmoving as possible. Use anti-inflammation drugs for a short while etc.

Doctor here suggested as much exercise as possible and buy one of those squeezy rubber balls to use as often as possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For regular comings and goings for medical treatment I have a friend who has a Medical Certificate issued by a specialist doctor at a large private hospital. That seems to work OK at inbound immigration. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Scary sometimes. I know one guy who suffers from Quervains tendonitis. All over the world the treatment is to immobilise the wrist, don't move the joint and try to keep it as unmoving as possible. Use anti-inflammation drugs for a short while etc.

Doctor here suggested as much exercise as possible and buy one of those squeezy rubber balls to use as often as possible.

Unfortunately, that is not an isolated case. A few of my friends have similar stories.  One recently had a mole removed at a Military Hospital, without any anaesthetic being applied, by a drunk idiot of a 'doctor'. Even the attending nurse was disgusted by the incident. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BestB said:

Treatment in public hospital in Thailand is just as much if not more than in the West.

Can't agree,

My 3 monthly visits to government hospital (BPH) cost 50bht for the hospital/doctor and 1bht/tablet for the medications.

When I was having to visit the emergency room it was another 200bht/visit.

 

That wouldn't even cover the car parking fee for the NHS hospital in the UK.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

how do i do if i want to follow this thread ?

click inside the [Follow] to the right of the headline of this thread you'll get a notification at the top of your screen whenever you sign in to thaivisa.com..........

How To Follow post.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Can't agree,

My 3 monthly visits to government hospital (BPH) cost 50bht for the hospital/doctor and 1bht/tablet for the medications.

When I was having to visit the emergency room it was another 200bht/visit.

 

That wouldn't even cover the car parking fee for the NHS hospital in the UK.

Sorry I misspelled , meant to say private hospital not public 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So they want people to come and stay for up to a year if they visit a hospital, but god forbid all those "tourists" wanting to spend several months of the year here to enjoy themselves, they must be kept out at all costs. It seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, webfact said:

The countries that will benefit are wealthy first world nations that a deputy prime minister feels will not threaten Thailand's systems and infrastructure

Fuel up the attack helicopters just in case.......red alert!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Right, bring in more unsuspecting clueless people to be cheated and over charged by the local hospitals, yes, Thailand USED to be a cheap destination for all sorts of medical treatment but this is fading fast as greed and the rush to get rich quick is those medical institutions first aim, also, suing for compensations in case of misdiagnosis, mistreatment and general malleffences by the medical profession and the hospital will get you very little if any at all...

Careful you don't fall off your bar stool.

 

If your opinions are correct it will be hard for you to find good medical treatment for your injuries. 

 

There again - your pronouncements could just be patent drivel. 

 

Rooster

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I'm imagining a lot of digital nomads, serial tourist visa users and the like with more cosmetic surgery than Michael Jackson wandering the Kingdom if this new visa comes to be 😉

 

of course as there is no visa that fit for those under 50 years/ not married, elite visa are for all ages, but it’s not very economical, it’s time ease on the visa regulations and make people feel welcomed no matter what their age is, if there really was a visa for all with not to many requirements then I’m pretty sure there would have been less use of ed visa and tourist visa.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not only tourism/economy issue. Tourists will occupy limited good doctors so Thai residents may wait longer time to obtain medical treatment.

Good young doctors intend to work in private/international hospitals. Poor Thai medical system lack of world-standard doctors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

A good few years ago, although living in other countries, I used the hospitals in Bangkok, in preference to any others, including the UK, NHS.  Those days are long gone.  It is now expensive, money driven and I just do not trust the doctors and the advice they give, the treatments on offer and the medicines they (over) prescribe. They have gone all in for a US based system, which is as flawed as any medical provision can be. We even had one so called 'consultant' in women's health ask my wife what drugs she would like the doctor to prescribe.  In the event, none were necessary at all.  May as well use google for all the expertise on offer at many Thai hospitals.   

Brilliant summary. In December last year I had surgery at a private hospital ( something similar to the capital city of Thailand name). A metal bar screwed into the small ankle bone, cost $9000 US. Since then 2 infections post op. Many BS tests to find out why doctors clueless, so many antibiotics I feel like a walking pharmacy. Now 10 months down the track, the ankle still gives me pain from walking, or even resting it so the side with the scar is resting on a cushion.  You return to complain they dont want to know, maybe we should do a fourth DVT test or get the heart doctor to check you out; any BS to sell more things you do not need., Very dissapointed patient.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...