Year long "Medical Visa" proposed to make Thailand top ten for Medical Tourism

webfact

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, legend49 said:

Brilliant summary. In December last year I had surgery at a private hospital ( something similar to the capital city of Thailand name). A metal bar screwed into the small ankle bone, cost $9000 US. Since then 2 infections post op. Many BS tests to find out why doctors clueless, so many antibiotics I feel like a walking pharmacy. Now 10 months down the track, the ankle still gives me pain from walking, or even resting it so the side with the scar is resting on a cushion.  You return to complain they dont want to know, maybe we should do a fourth DVT test or get the heart doctor to check you out; any BS to sell more things you do not need., Very dissapointed patient.

I am very sorry to hear that.  As I said in a previous post, yours is another less than isolated incident.  I hope that you can get it sorted out. Such pain and restriction on movement is very debilitating and saps ones enjoyment of life. 

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

So they want people to come and stay for up to a year if they visit a hospital, but god forbid all those "tourists" wanting to spend several months of the year here to enjoy themselves, they must be kept out at all costs. It seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

You would be hard pushed to find a doctor who knows right from left and 'hands' may be advanced medicine for some.  

5 hours ago, webfact said:
At present this applies to six Arab nations and Asean nations Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Vietnam as well as China.

The sick person and three others can enter on such visas. 

Plans for a new Medical Visa (Non-MT) are also in the offing. Such a visa would encourage medical tourists to stay longer for treatment.

They would be able to stay for a whole year with as many ins and outs as they want. 

This seems to be aimed at allowing those on such visas easier access to facilities for convalescence in Thailand. 

Four countries are being proposed to add to those that can apply for ten year visas - these are South Korea, Belgium, Austria and New Zealand.

DPM Anutin said that the countries that would be able to take advantage of the new visa would mostly be those from the first world that do not represent a threat to Thailand's national security or infrastructure. 

Ahhh yeah the good arab first world countries that don't treaten security... meanwhile this EXCLUDES germany, uk, switzerland, norway etc?? <deleted>

I am confused, the whole article is lousy written, who can enlighten me?

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Thats great, the medical care in Thailand is top notch and reasonably priced, especially for USA trained Doctors.

Yes, I see a US trained Thai doctor for an ongoing vestibular problem. Have an appointment every two months. I'm quite serious, if there are better benefits for the Medical visa instead of the retirement extension, it might be a good deal. 

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Scary sometimes. I know one guy who suffers from Quervains tendonitis. All over the world the treatment is to immobilise the wrist, don't move the joint and try to keep it as unmoving as possible. Use anti-inflammation drugs for a short while etc.

Doctor here suggested as much exercise as possible and buy one of those squeezy rubber balls to use as often as possible.

Maybe it was part of diagnosis? Playing devil's advocate.

5 hours ago, BestB said:

Treatment in public hospital in Thailand is just as much if not more than in the West.

Yes, care is much better than in the West but it is still just as expansive .

Not sure which Arab countries , but know some treatment is paid by the government. 

Would one have to provide extensive medical history and treatment plan to get the visa ?

Where in the West are you referring to?? Had several surgeries here,  nowhere near as expensive as Florida for example.

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

well they had better sort out the inconsistent and too high costs then, otherwise India will always be the first choice for many looking for high quality, cheaper medical services in Asia. The strong Baht is also not helping.   They may like to check on the qualifications of some of their so called 'consultants; too while they are at it. 

..agreed..then they are up against all the viruses/bacteria/fungi...i would think very carefully before taking that step.

The O-X Visa was touted as the answer to long stays and those needing long term medical care.  Once the  requirements were announced- not very appealing to the average long stay person-  I can remember only 1 member of this forum who has the O-X and I seriously doubt  there are many issued.

The article itself tells the  real reason why this Visa will be developed- to attract High Income foreigners. and guess what the requirements will be similar to the O-X with large sums in the bank; med insurance from a Thai provider and some type of documentation from a doctor.

I would be extremely surprised if the Non O-MT Visa  will ever want to be used  in place of the  OA or a normal extension of stay.

They never seem to want to develop any type of long stay visa for the Digital Nomads which would bring in huge numbers and replace their lagging tourist numbers . The officials have no concept of real entreprenurship or knowledge transfer.

They never seem able to develop a real Marriage Visa or extension which allows permanency to people who have relocated to Thailand with their Thai spouses.  In America, I can bring my Thai spouse and in 2 years obtain perment residency for her by having the equivalent of $25,000 in cash; income or using assets like a house or condo. My wife can purchase land; get the same benefits all US citizens get. No reciprocity in Thailand/

How about a fiance visa for people engaged to marry Thai citizens- 

IMO- more hot air rather than real immigration  reform.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is making a push to encourage more people to come to the kingdom for medical treatment.

Considering they've openly stated they will charge farangs more for medical treatment I wonder how well that will work out?

7 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Might be better and less hassle then a retirement or retirement visa with the multi entry thrown in just wondering about the TM30 though will they be exempt 

TM30 being "looked at" as I am reading this!  

I have yet 9 years MT Visa. And I must run on border every 3 months which it's difficult for me. I getting that MT Visa in my country. Every 15 month I must go in home in my country.

Will it gets now in Thailand? 

3 hours ago, zydeco said:

Yes, I see a US trained Thai doctor for an ongoing vestibular problem. Have an appointment every two months. I'm quite serious, if there are better benefits for the Medical visa instead of the retirement extension, it might be a good deal. 

I imagine that most US trained doctors spend half of their training taking business degree courses, so that they learn how they can invest the money they 'extort' from people they 'treat'.  They will fit very nicely into the Thai system of international medical services.   

Some years ago medical tourism was growing for Aussies going to Thailand for various procedures. Then there were way too many bad stories of botched treatments and overcharging. Now the gov warns Australians not to travel to Thailand for medical tourism, it's too risky and you don't have a leg to stand on when things go wrong. 

One has to wonder how many unnecessary procedures are done by Thai docs/hospitals just so they can rip into a foreigner's medical insurance? One friend of mine, a Scot, was diagnosed with bowel cancer and Thai docs wanted to take out half his intestines. He went back to Scotland and saw docs there and they said he didn't have cancer at all, and successfully treated him for another ailment. Another friend, also a Scot, was diagnosed with prostrate cancer and Thai docs wanted to operate. He also returned to Scotland and again the docs found no cancer at all. 

7 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I'm imagining a lot of digital nomads, serial tourist visa users and the like with more cosmetic surgery than Michael Jackson wandering the Kingdom if this new visa comes to be ????

Good idea! Welcome to the Bamrungrad Tattoo Clinic.

I'm suddenly feeling ill. Very, very ill.

This could beat having a METV or Non-Ed visa that have fallen out of favor - no classes, no language tests, just a friendly check-up with your favorite nurse maybe? I'm from an eligible country and if I can find a willing doctor who makes me a good deal... Curious about the details!

38 minutes ago, TSF said:

Some years ago medical tourism was growing for Aussies going to Thailand for various procedures. Then there were way too many bad stories of botched treatments and overcharging. Now the gov warns Australians not to travel to Thailand for medical tourism, it's too risky and you don't have a leg to stand on when things go wrong. 

One has to wonder how many unnecessary procedures are done by Thai docs/hospitals just so they can rip into a foreigner's medical insurance? One friend of mine, a Scot, was diagnosed with bowel cancer and Thai docs wanted to take out half his intestines. He went back to Scotland and saw docs there and they said he didn't have cancer at all, and successfully treated him for another ailment. Another friend, also a Scot, was diagnosed with prostrate cancer and Thai docs wanted to operate. He also returned to Scotland and again the docs found no cancer at all. 

Sounds like Scotland is the spot for medical tourism.

Thanks

2 hours ago, cmrichsw said:

Where in the West are you referring to?? Had several surgeries here,  nowhere near as expensive as Florida for example.

That is exactly why USA is proposed for the list. Because of their system of charging as much as the insurance companies can bear.

If they appeal to the price gouging countries' folks, they can charge high prices but still look cheap in comparison. I imagine that is what they are thinking.

I've travelled to Thailand to use private hospitals many a time. But now just don't bother with all of the hassle involve.

It's not about the money. It's just that on the surface, it has become increasingly unattractive. 

Archived