Despite all the Frustrations - You have Just Got to Love Thailand

Pilotman

4 hours ago, RedPill said:

I think there is something much different on here. It's not only the heat ????

I've been 10-13 years ago on a forum, Phuket-info. We discussed the exact same things back then, as they come up today on here as well.

But back then, people could discuss same topics, give advise, take advise, create friendships, make some jokes about it, it was all fun.

The difference is, on here TV, people don't try to create a sort of bounding, or support to each other. It's all bickering, from the start, immediately.

It doesn't matter what someone posts, a page later, he get's shot down being troll, or it's all utter nonsense, or a perv or whatever.

Expats on here, don't like each other. And it shows, thread after thread.

Most people, after a few years here, lost all of their common sense and ability to keep a discussion to the point ...

I think this forum is just too big and too anonymous.

It doesn't reflect what the people write on here and how the act when you meet them in real tomorrow.

You would think guys living abroad together, would stuck together. Far from it.

I'd like to disagree with you, but then I would be proving your point for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2019 at 7:35 PM, NCC1701A said:

I love Thailand.

Unfortunately the TV Misery Zombies will be here soon to get this positive topic locked.

They certainly will. They always manage to do so. But don,t worry the Thai haters should be here any moment. Oddly they never leave and continue to live in 24/7 misery. Just please stay away from me.

15 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Now you are just being silly.   

I just wondered why the Eagles beating the Packers makes Thailand an enjoyable place to live, because the Eagles beat the Packers in every other Country as well .

The Eagles beating the Packers isnt exclusive to Thailand 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I just wondered why the Eagles beating the Packers makes Thailand an enjoyable place to live, because the Eagles beat the Packers in every other Country as well .

The Eagles beating the Packers isnt exclusive to Thailand 

Oh dear.  Life is not about such absolutes. Contentment is made up of many elements, many of which are here in Thailand, but many are not. My kids are all in the UK, I am intensely proud of them and that pride also goes towards my happiness and contentment here.   In order for me to live a contented life here in LOS, and appreciate what this country has to offer me in my retirement,  many elements have to be in place, including an enjoyment of sports;  NFL, F1, MOTO GP, they all contribute to the totality of my life here.  Not sure what there is about this that you are finding so hard to understand.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Oh dear.  Life is not about such absolutes. Contentment is made up of many elements, many of which are here in Thailand, but many are not. My kids are all in the UK, I am intensely proud of them and that pride also goes towards my happiness and contentment here.   In order for me to live a contented life here in LOS, and appreciate what this country has to offer me in my retirement,  many elements have to be in place, including an enjoyment of sports;  NFL, F1, MOTO GP, they all contribute to the totality of my life here.  Not sure what there is about this that you are finding so hard to understand.  

On a scale of 1-10 how happy/content would you say you are?

Do you have a t-shirt displaying 'I'm so happy' on the front?

45 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Intelligence is innate. Sure it can be cultivated, to some extent. But being a poor farm girl without a college education does not in any respect imply a lack of intelligence. It just depends on the person. My wife is whip smart. She takes stuff apart and puts it back together as if she were reading from a diagram. She remembers stuff in such detail. I know Wharton MBA'S who are not as not as quick witted or as smart on their feet. I tell her a verb or a introduce her to a new word and she uses it in context and never forgets it. I wish I were as sharp as she is. 

She simply sounds amazing. Is she also a lawyer?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Intelligence is innate. Sure it can be cultivated, to some extent. But being a poor farm girl without a college education does not in any respect imply a lack of intelligence. It just depends on the person. My wife is whip smart. She takes stuff apart and puts it back together as if she were reading from a diagram. She remembers stuff in such detail. I know Wharton MBA'S who are not as not as quick witted or as smart on their feet. I tell her a verb or a introduce her to a new word and she uses it in context and never forgets it. I wish I were as sharp as she is. 

Understood. My GF is from a rice-farming village. She is street-smart, and I have no idea how she keeps track of all the friends she makes as easily as cooking rice. She is way smarter than me in terms of emotional intelligence.

15 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

On a scale of 1-10 how happy/content would you say you are?

Do you have a t-shirt displaying 'I'm so happy' on the front?

As for most people, it fluctuates. On a bad day 5/6 on a very good day 8/9. 

No, but I do have a T shirt that says:

"Powder Skiing, Like explaining Sex to a Virgin". 

I have another that states:

"The worst thing that can happen is never the worst thing that can happen".  

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

You will soon realise why he’s got over 14,000 posts. 

I hope you have got some stamina and some caffeine. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, sanemax said:

Yes, but youir kids at school in the UK , NFL , F1 MOTO GP , thay are all going to happen anyway and you would still be content regardless of where you are living . 

You are talking about what makes you content and those things that make you content have nothing to do with Thailand .

This thread is about why you like Thailand , rather than a thread about what you personally like that has no connection to Thailand  

I am the Original Poster, it's about what I say it's about.  My post, my interpretation.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I generally float between 7-8 but sometimes I'm a 1..best avoid me on those days.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 1:52 PM, gk10002000 said:

ha!  I have been contemplating retiring for the last two years.  I know I get bored and will get  bored.  But the Dilbert situation at work is going to drive me to punch out this December for sure, possibly I will hang on for a few more months if they transfer me back to Florida. 

Through no fault of my own I’m unable to work and had a forced retirement @ 36 (I collected my superannuation so I guess that qualifies as retirement)

I used to work an extremely busy and stressful job in construction, punching out 70+ hours a week on average. I thought I’d go nuts too but it’s surprising how easily you can fill your day enjoyably doing things that really interest you. 

My day compiles on average of:

1hr walk on the beach 

Gym/CrossFit 

Movies/TV series/news

Cycling 

Trips on my bike 

Sim racing (very addictive)

I’ve now got myself a project car that I’m enjoying rebuilding on a budget, great fun. 

I love my life here and wouldn’t change it for all the money in the world 

Note: A lot of things used to frustrate or bother me but over a very small period of time I’ve learnt to compartmentalise any negativity I have and my life is so much better for it! 

9B6BF249-1BD6-4C5E-8B80-60387A550A34.jpeg

F5D9AF37-1309-442E-977A-9398C11B57D4.jpeg

1D71FC17-88F7-4C13-ACD7-3807ED934290.jpeg

Edited by MadMuhammad
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 5:10 AM, Pilotman said:

Not really a tough crowd, just a few bitter old men, who have made lots of wrong decisions in their lives and wouldn't be happy anywhere.  Leave them to stew in their own unhappiness.  A small part of the reason for posting this morning was to hack them off. 

For this reason alone I love Thailand. I am currently back home and hope they can never afford to move back. Thailand is a good dumping ground for the aged, urchin snouted, scuts.