How Are Property Prices Holding Up

Wrong !

Most of the appartments are not sold, they are only reserved (for 50.000 bahts) by reselers. Look at all the advertisments in revues like Pattaya Traders. They are full off View Talay 6 appartments, even the 1st cover page !

Pattaya46

While it is true a condo is not officially sold until the building is completed and the documents are taken to the land department. It is not true, that you can just put down 50,000 to reserve a condo. You need to put down a substantial down payment and the make monthly payments for years until the building is completed. When the building is finished you then pay the balance due. So these people have hundreds of thousands into these condos before they officially own them. I am certain a percentage of these people default and never own the condos, I am also certain this is a very small percentage.

When it only takes 5 minutes to walk into a sales office and acquire the correct information. Why would you just post BS which you have no idea what you are talking about. There are thousands of people making these payments monthly who have made the down payment.

While it's true the speculators must make monthly payments til the building is finished it's not nearly as much as you suggest. Even the more expensive places in BKK the deposit is like 40 or 50,000 then 15,000 a month for around 2 year - or less. The remaining 80-90 % is paid on completion/handing over of keys. So the speculators think they have time on their side. But time eventually runs out for everyone - that's what we're waiting for...

Another thing to take seriously is that most of the speculators could well be Thai - so it "looks" like the building is within 49%....but of course the Thai re-seller is expecting to sell to a farang/foreigner..the math of course doesn't add up does it (esp since there are fewer foreigners able to enjoy the property year round given visa changes).

While it's true the speculators must make monthly payments til the building is finished it's not nearly as much as you suggest. Even the more expensive places in BKK the deposit is like 40 or 50,000 then 15,000 a month for around 2 year - or less. The remaining 80-90 % is paid on completion/handing over of keys.

Dude, even using your own figures, which I don't agree with, that’s 400,000 the buyer has into the condo. So please explain where it is not nearly as much as I suggest. Another thing please let me know of a building that is started and completed in two years. And why do you use the term speculators when the vast majority of the condos are sold to people whom live in them. And I don't know about Bangkok, but in Pattaya very few Thai's buy condos.

It never ends here, not only will people continuously post on subjects they no nothing about, they will post with out even taking time to read their own post, or in this case add up their own post.

And why do you use the term speculators when the vast majority of the condos are sold to people whom live in them. And I don't know about Bangkok, but in Pattaya very few Thai's buy condos.

Yeah?

So why the building where I am has an office to resell 99% of the units that were all sold off the plan back in 2003? Hundreds and hundreds of 1&2 BR units.

They go for the same or less money than 3 years ago. Some want more, rented (if they could) the units out and sit and wait when and if someone would buy them.

If I were to buy in there, just keeping the money in my account for 3 years and buying now would bring a discount of nearly 1 million baht (that much interest you get at 5% over 3 years).

So, the unit that was 4.5mil baht in 2003, is still that much and with 1 mil in interest earned while it was being constructed, that unit would cost me 3.5mil now.

(Some people got into a trouble and were selling their condos 4.5 mil in 2003. for 3.9 to 4.1mil but I would not wait on that if I wanted one)

Wrong !

Most of the apartments are not sold, they are only reserved (for 50.000 bahts) by reselers. Look at all the advertisments in revues like Pattaya Traders. They are full off View Talay 6 appartments, even the 1st cover page !

Pattaya46

When it only takes 5 minutes to walk into a sales office and acquire the correct information. Why would you just post BS which you have no idea what you are talking about. There are thousands of people making these payments monthly who have made the down payment.

Please billaaa777, only speak of things you know about :D

If I posted this message it's because I live in Pattaya and I already walked in their sale office ! I do have under my eyes several of their payment plans :D

Here is an exemple :

Room 91 sqm, 23th floor

Unit price : 5,096,000 bahts :o

Deposit/Reservation : 50,000

Contract : 400,000 but does not concern "real estate professionals"

24 down payements : 49,000, from the delivery date

Last payment : 3,470,000 bahts

So where do you see BS in what I said before ? :D

I maintain that most of the good apartments of View Talay 6 are not sold but only reserved ! I am waiting to see how all that will work at the end of the year when the apartments will be delivered and that reselers will have to pay monthly down payments for un-sold flats... :D

Pattaya46

Wrong !

Most of the apartments are not sold, they are only reserved (for 50.000 bahts) by reselers. Look at all the advertisments in revues like Pattaya Traders. They are full off View Talay 6 appartments, even the 1st cover page !

Pattaya46

Please billaaa777, only speak of things you know about :D

If I posted this message it's because I live in Pattaya and I already walked in their sale office ! I do have under my eyes several of their payment plans :D

Here is an exemple :

Room 91 sqm, 23th floor

Unit price : 5,096,000 bahts :o

So where do you see BS in what I said before ? :D

I maintain that most of the good apartments of View Talay 6 are not sold but only reserved ! I am waiting to see how all that will work at the end of the year when the apartments will be delivered and that reselers will have to pay monthly down payments for un-sold flats... :D

Pattaya46

I think billaaa777's complaint is that he first posted that a speculator would have hundreds of thousand baht invested in holding the property for speculation and then you posted as if you disagreed with him and showed a breakdown of thier costs but if you look carefully you will discover that your data shows that speculators indeed do have hundreds of thousands of baht tied up in holding the property which is exactly what billaaa777 had originally said so your commenting that he was wrong seems to be out of place since your data seems to prove he is right on this detail.

On the other hand, billaaa777's parting shot comment that "It never ends here, not only will people continuously post on subjects they no nothing about, " seens to be out of place also since you do seem to know a bit about this subject as well.

So, best if we all keep calm and stay civil about this.......this is only an internet forum and if your success as an individual or as a business person is so tenuous that a stray comment posted here upsets your apple cart then I suggest its time to retreat and rethink life in general.

Chownah

Here is an exemple :

Room 91 sqm, 23th floor

Unit price : 5,096,000 bahts whistling.gif

Can you read or add. If the last payment is 3,470 and the price is 5,096 then the buyer has 1,626 into the condo. You said wrong when I said they had hundreds of thousand into it. Sorry, I should have said millions. Maybe you are under the impression you can sign a contract stating you are going to make monthly payments, not make them and then sell the condo in two years. Please explain where I am wrong.

While you Pattaya boys are hashing it out, let me just report that anyone who has waited for the last 2,3 or 5 years to start picking up the bargains here in Hua Hin has lost out bigtime! I hope very much there is a humungous correction so that I can buy up even more, but I fear that will not be the case.

While you Pattaya boys are hashing it out, let me just report that anyone who has waited for the last 2,3 or 5 years to start picking up the bargains here in Hua Hin has lost out bigtime! I hope very much there is a humungous correction so that I can buy up even more, but I fear that will not be the case.

I believe you're right. Shortly after the tsunami in Phuket I received a flurry of telephone calls and emails saying how awful it was for Thailand and how much sympathy was felt for those who suffered, Each correspondence ended with "so do you think I could pick up any bargains on land"? All such queries remain unacknowledged by me.

Another thing please let me know of a building that is started and completed in two years. And why do you use the term speculators when the vast majority of the condos are sold to people whom live in them. And I don't know about Bangkok, but in Pattaya very few Thai's buy condos.

Bill,

I live in View Talay 2. It was started and completed within two years.

The two units next to my condo are owned by a Thai speculator. The utilities bills and demands for condo fees are stuffed into the cracks of the door. It still has the original flush door and no renovations have been done (it is a concrete shell), but my wife called and the owner wants 5 million baht for two units (74 sqm).

Certainly by now she (the owner) would have had to pay for both units in full, about 1.3 million baht at the original prices. Nonetheless there is a lot of speculation about.

I sometimes wonder if earning money by adding value is regarded as "cheating" in this country :o

Edited by SiriusBlack1

billbaa777 (or whatever)

Give it a rest - I wasn't suggesting you were wrong in YOUR math I (and others here as near as I can figure) are trying to point out that the SPECULATORS aren't weighing in nearly as much risk-capital as you would seemingly be trying to suggest (relative to the total price - khaow jai mai?).

If they pay 400,000 'using your own numbers' and the total price is 4 million - then that's not much is it? Not 'relatively' anyway. They have at least a couple of years before they have to put-up-or-shut-up. They hope they can off-load that puppy before they have to pay back the bank the full price. Get it? So what happens if they can't???

You forgot to say whether it is in Foreign name or company name and which project yourself? If company name then for me it's about 50% overpriced in the current situation, as I wouldn't touch a company name for more. If that's in Foreign name and as described then for 1.5m (which is a little less not more than I am asking) it doesn't equate to any estate agents valuation around here and just proves there are distressed sellers.

Mine in View Talay 2, Jomtien side 41 sq m, fully furnished, Foreign name, floor 7. I don't think 1.6m net with transfer tax 50/50 is asking too much at all. Probably about right if there were any buyers!!

BTW, although I would like to sell, I am not desperate to, so it is not meant to be anything other than a fair and realistic price. Reasonable for me and the buyer too.

What's it worth to you then? (face it you are going to quote a below market price). Now be honest with me

PM me if interested or just to answer, as I doubt I will be back to this thread. LOL

Offer for sale open to anyone of course and a private sale would be for 1,600,000 to me plus 50% transfer tax, so about 1,625,000 or a tad less, all in.

It is still in very good condition. I paid 1 million 4 years ago and now want 1.6m net.
If you want to buy mine, I would be delighted as even viewings have ground to absolute zero now, but of course the market is fine, isn't it?
I will buy your condo. Please answer the following questions and I will tell you what it is worth to me. What building is it in? What floor is it on? Is it in a foreign name? What side of the building is it on?

I will post a few pictures of a condo that I recently renovated and sold for 1.5. A little more than your asking. It was 42 SM and everything in it was brand new. When attempting to sell a condo you really need to know your competition. A real estate agent is usually only able to show a few condos to a customer. So, if your place is not smoking hot with a good selling price, guess what, its not going to get shown.

Edited by twix38

makes me laugh when people say the market is doing well, i was having a drink with an estate agent last night and he was saying he has not sold a single house since January, only a few condos and he knows of at least 4 estate agents that have closed down here in Pattaya since the start of the year.

Your so full of crap!!! What were the names of the four officies that closed down? Because there are at least 5 that have opened. As soon as you start talking about real estate clowns like this come out of the closet and start posting BS they don't have a clue on. Before you respond with more of your BS, name the places that closed down? Clown!!!

Who is full of crap, billaaa777? You are!

I am in the business and I can tell you, the property market is w-a-a-a-y down. The money is just not coming into the country any more. Thai banks are not giving out loans, exept in exceptional cases, and even overseas financiers like MBMG won't have the money in their coffers until the current government and financial crisis clears.

Depite this, new building is going on at the same pace as in the past. When the crisis goes, we will see plenty more sales. Most of these will be condos. The big Thai developers are building for the low to middle market. Big ticket developments are on the back burner.

So, billaaa777, before you start casting nasturtians, check your facts...mate.

makes me laugh when people say the market is doing well, i was having a drink with an estate agent last night and he was saying he has not sold a single house since January, only a few condos and he knows of at least 4 estate agents that have closed down here in Pattaya since the start of the year.

Your so full of crap!!! What were the names of the four officies that closed down? Because there are at least 5 that have opened. As soon as you start talking about real estate clowns like this come out of the closet and start posting BS they don't have a clue on. Before you respond with more of your BS, name the places that closed down? Clown!!!

I am in the business and I can tell you, the property market is w-a-a-a-y down. The money is just not coming into the country any more. Thai banks are not giving out loans, exept in exceptional cases, and even overseas financiers like MBMG won't have the money in their coffers until the current government and financial crisis clears.

Depite this, new building is going on at the same pace as in the past. When the crisis goes, we will see plenty more sales. Most of these will be condos. The big Thai developers are building for the low to middle market. Big ticket developments are on the back burner.

I don't know much about the Pattaya market, but I do know something about the Samui market and it is down, way down. That being said, asking prices haven't fallen there, they have gone up!! Makes no sense, but it's true. If there are buyers who are on the fence waiting for bargains, I don't think it's going to happen. I honestly believe there are simply no buyers, though, bargain-hunters or not.

One more crybaby that can’t make a dime. Well guess what, he said four offices have closed down, I asked him to tell me who they where. Did you see his reply, I didn’t. He was just posting crap just like you are.

Guess what, the Thai Banks have never been a very large part of the business I am in or any part of it to tell you the truth, the expat business. So who cares? And if you are in the business then get off your ass and go find some deals and make a little money and stop crying about it. I have sold a condo every month for the past seven months in a row and I am not a real estate agent making 3%. But a private investor that makes hundreds of thousand per condo.

I am in the real estate offices every day. I talked to one agent last week who told me he had his best month ever in February; he said he sold 12 units. I was in another office talking to the owner, he said his foot traffic was down in February, but his sales were up from a year ago. But these guys are hustlers who work hard at their business. Their intelligent and understand the market and what it takes to make a sale.

So just like everywhere, the cream of the crop rises to the top and everybody else has problems. My advice to you is to start working smarter and harder. Or else find something else to do. But, crying about it because you can’t do it, and other people can, well then to Damm bad!

One more crybaby that can't make a dime. Well guess what, he said four offices have closed down, I asked him to tell me who they where. Did you see his reply, I didn't. He was just posting crap just like you are.

Guess what, the Thai Banks have never been a very large part of the business I am in or any part of it to tell you the truth, the expat business. So who cares? And if you are in the business then get off your ass and go find some deals and make a little money and stop crying about it. I have sold a condo every month for the past seven months in a row and I am not a real estate agent making 3%. But a private investor that makes hundreds of thousand per condo.

I am in the real estate offices every day. I talked to one agent last week who told me he had his best month ever in February; he said he sold 12 units. I was in another office talking to the owner, he said his foot traffic was down in February, but his sales were up from a year ago. But these guys are hustlers who work hard at their business. Their intelligent and understand the market and what it takes to make a sale.

So just like everywhere, the cream of the crop rises to the top and everybody else has problems. My advice to you is to start working smarter and harder. Or else find something else to do. But, crying about it because you can't do it, and other people can, well then to Damm bad!

Since you are calling for names, why didn't you cite any names too? Who are these real estate companies making so many sales? Did you check their claims? I am in the business and I talk to plenty of my colleagues. They are ALL saying the exact opposite of your claims.

If you are such a hot-shot deal maker, then I have a job for you, work permit and visa guaranteed, plus a good commission. Let's see if you are as good as you claim.

Since you are calling for names, why didn't you cite any names too? Who are these real estate companies making so many sales? Did you check their claims? I am in the business and I talk to plenty of my colleagues. They are ALL saying the exact opposite of your claims.

If you are such a hot-shot deal maker, then I have a job for you, work permit and visa guaranteed, plus a good commission. Let's see if you are as good as you claim.

I did not call anybody names that did not deserve them. Sorry, if I said something you preserved as disrespectful. Thanks for the offer, but I have my own company and work permit, and pay millions in taxes every year.

As for verifying their claims, I did not. They might have been embellishing, I don’t know. I do know I am in these offices all the time and they are what I would conceder some of the best agents. The agents all know that I am always buying, but these two are one of the few that even bother to make calls when something good comes in. Or for that matter, even know when something good comes in.

As for naming the agents or agencies, I don't think that would be a good idea. I am sure it is a lot easier for me to visit the different offices being independent than it is for you. And you sound like an owner, I am sure you know there are good agents, bad agents, average agents and great agents. Some of these offices change agents like most people change shirts, some the agents just sit there and hope a buyer walks through the door and some agents get out move around and find deals and make something happen. The deals are all over the place, it just takes a little knowledge and a little work.

I am not joking, I seriously wish you the best of luck, and if luck has not been good lately, then I hope you make yourself some good luck. But, because other people are failing and you preserve because of that it is all right for you to fail, I don’t accept that argument and never will. I hope something good happens. I have to go now I have two construction crews coming to the condos I am renovating

billaaa777,

The units you are buying every month....are they price reduced?

Actually this thread is supposed to be about the price of property...it seems that you are wanting to talk about whether it is possible for agents to move units....not the same issue at all. The stock market can be used as an analogy....whether the price of stock goes up or down there is always buying and selling going on....in fact when prices drop is often when volumes are largest....so...you see....just because agents are moving units does not rule out that prices are dropping...which is the topic for this tread.

chownah

Edited by chownah

billaaa777,

chownah

Exactly, Chownah, these units wouldn't be available in a good market, he's buying distressed properties and re-selling them, typical in a down market. I've done it myself.

billaaa777,

Actually this thread is supposed to be about the price of property...it seems that you are wanting to talk about whether it is possible for agents to move units....not the same issue at all. The stock market can be used as an analogy....whether the price of stock goes up or down there is always buying and selling going on....in fact when prices drop is often when volumes are largest....so...you see....just because agents are moving units does not rule out that prices are dropping...which is the topic for this tread.

chownah

Actually the vast majority of the units I buy are very close to the asking price of the condos. Of course I usually make an offer below the asking price and sometimes it is accepted and sometimes not. But, there are instances where I have had to offer more than the asking price to get the condos. One example of this was when a husband and a wife owned a condo and the husband wanted to sell and the wife did not.

As for you other comments, read the entire thread. And since you have been here so long, I am sure this is not the first thread that has taken a life of its own. But, thanks for your two cents anyway.

As far as the condo prices in Pattya the market has been very strong with prices appreciation substantially since I have been in the market. Whether this will continue in the future I don’t know.

Exactly, Chownah, these units wouldn't be available in a good market, he's buying distressed properties and re-selling them, typical in a down market. I've done it myself.

I have been doing this for years, are you attempting to say the condo market in Pattaya has been bad for years? Have you bothered to check out the appreciation in prices over those years?

Boy, my mother made a ton of money over the years buying distressed properties and re-selling them in an UP market! I would call that typical.

I never had a condo over 143 days. That’s from the day I bought it, designed it, renovated it, sold it and received the cash for it. Are you attempting to say that the market in Pattaya fluctuates that much on a monthly basis?

billaaa777,

chownah

Actually the vast majority of the units I buy are very close to the asking price of the condos. Of course I usually make an offer below the asking price and sometimes it is accepted and sometimes not. But, there are instances where I have had to offer more than the asking price to get the condos. One example of this was when a husband and a wife owned a condo and the husband wanted to sell and the wife did not.

As for you other comments, read the entire thread. And since you have been here so long, I am sure this is not the first thread that has taken a life of its own. But, thanks for your two cents anyway.

As far as the condo prices in Pattya the market has been very strong with prices appreciation substantially since I have been in the market. Whether this will continue in the future I don’t know.

I have been doing this for years, are you attempting to say the condo market in Pattaya has been bad for years? Have you bothered to check out the appreciation in prices over those years?
Boy, my mother made a ton of money over the years buying distressed properties and re-selling them in an UP market! I would call that typical.

I never had a condo over 143 days. That’s from the day I bought it, designed it, renovated it, sold it and received the cash for it. Are you attempting to say that the market in Pattaya fluctuates that much on a monthly basis?

ow

No, Hot-Shot, we're saying the prices are slightly depressed due to a current market and that's how you're making your money, by finding space in the market. It wasn't but a few hours ago that you said you were too busy to post because you had to go manage your crews on your renovations. What's the matter, slow day in the office? It's pretty obvious to me (and others) that real estate is pretty slow in Thailand right now. I know you won't admit that, because you're pretty much the sharpest pencil in the drawer, and the hardest worker too.

ow

No, Hot-Shot, we're saying the prices are slightly depressed due to a current market and that's how you're making your money, by finding space in the market. It wasn't but a few hours ago that you said you were too busy to post because you had to go manage your crews on your renovations. What's the matter, slow day in the office? It's pretty obvious to me (and others) that real estate is pretty slow in Thailand right now. I know you won't admit that, because you're pretty much the sharpest pencil in the drawer, and the hardest worker too.

I have been doing this for years. So, is that how I have been making the money all that time? I don’t think so. As for condo prices being depressed I will state this one more time, I don’t see it. So there, do you need me to say it any more times.

I went to my condos instructed the contractors, bought granite for the kitchen, doors for the closet and molding for the glass block in one of my bathrooms, is that enough for you stud, or do you need more?

It never stops here, I don’t know why I ever post anything, because as soon as you do somebody that has no idea what their talking about, no experience in the field will always offer the expert opinion that contradicts yours.

ow

I have been doing this for years. So, is that how I have been making the money all that time? I don’t think so. As for condo prices being depressed I will state this one more time, I don’t see it. So there, do you need me to say it any more times.

I went to my condos instructed the contractors, bought granite for the kitchen, doors for the closet and molding for the glass block in one of my bathrooms, is that enough for you stud, or do you need more?

It never stops here, I don’t know why I ever post anything, because as soon as you do somebody that has no idea what their talking about, no experience in the field will always offer the expert opinion that contradicts yours.

i'm sure its not just me who wishes you wouldn't post, the general consensus on this thread is that it is you who seems to have to idea what he is talking about. And further to one of your other dumb previous posts , i replied to it straight away. The OP asked how the housing market was doing, and all you can rant about is about painting and decorating condos. The Housing market is dead, no-one is buying HOUSES.

BB