New "30 Day For An Answer" Rule At Pattaya Imm?

Well, last month I went to Pattaya Immigration with Work Permit, Company papers, Taxes paid (for the last 4 month, as I got my WP back last October), and, to be sure, with 400000 + Baht on a bank book. A lawyer took care of the paperwork and his representative accompanied me.

They turned down the application based on family income (57000 Bt between me and my wife) stating I would have to pay tax for one YEar in advance (??? never heard that one before ???), so we applied on the bank book. Just the amount needed (actually a bit more), but no 3 month history, and not coming from abroad). They wanted a bank letter, got this , and they accepted the application and gave me a 30 Day consideration stamp.

Next day we extended the Work Permit for 30 Days.

Today was the 30th day, so my lawyer's rep. went there in the morning. Was told to come back just before 4 pm. ??? Wht did they not issue another 30 Days? He had to travel to Chonburi, and convince the Labor Dept guys to extend my WP for one week based on nothing (as I had no extension on the Visa yet, and it was the last day of validity.

At 4 pm Immigration stamped the One Year extension in my Passport.

He told me they cited a new rule that extensions based on marriage have to be either confirmed or denied now within 30 Days, no more possible to extend another 30 Days ????

Anyone head that before?

I am happy I have my 1 Year now, but fed up with the fact that the Work Permit was possibly in limbo, if they (Labor Dept) were not able to issue an extension based on no facts?

Btw, Labor Department Chonburi closes 3 pm.

Sunny

I don't know if there is a new rule that a one year extension needs to be confirmed or denied within 30 days but for the first time ever, since I started doing extensions in 1992, my approval came in one month. So, perhaps there is something to the one month idea after all.